Author Topic: Cinemas of Birmingham  (Read 146802 times)

Scipio

Re: Cinemas of Birmingham
« Reply #308 on: February 10, 2019, 09:39:43 PM »
Total respect, Spud, well done! O0 O0 O0
Peg.

The Gaumont also The Bristol and possibly the West End screened films for what we used to call a season they were shown for between 10-12 weeks . Films that I seen at the Gaumont on their extended screenings  West Side Story twice
                                                                                                                  Barabbas          twice
                                                                                                         Lawrence of Arabia     seven times
                                                                                                          The Longest Day        three times

Bristol                                           Ben Hur                   twice
                                                                                                       Where Eagles Dare         once

West End                                        Spartacus               twice

Truth is when these cinema's had these films on they decorated the foyers with mannequins/articles synonymous to the film, Roman films you had a legionnaire flags with SPQR laurel leaves etc , war films tommies and wehrmacht soldiers flags etc . It was a great advert for the film to see all this regalia as you went in .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Peg Monkey

« Reply #309 on: February 10, 2019, 10:30:54 PM »

The Gaumont also The Bristol and possibly the West End screened films for what we used to call a season.........
Thanks for the info' Sci. O0
Wasn't The Sound of Music the all-time longest runner at the Gaumont - ran for years? O0
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Scipio

« Reply #310 on: February 10, 2019, 11:14:16 PM »
Thanks for the info' Sci. O0
Wasn't The Sound of Music the all-time longest runner at the Gaumont - ran for years? O0
Peg.

It may well have ran longer due to public demand
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #311 on: February 10, 2019, 11:17:02 PM »
Saw it 2 times at the Gaumont,and about 50 on the Telly ;D ;D
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Scipio

« Reply #312 on: February 10, 2019, 11:21:28 PM »
Saw it 2 times at the Gaumont,and about 50 on the Telly ;D ;D

Edmund my claim to fame with the Gaumont in the original post , I was in St John Ambulance . I used to get in free I still watch Lawrence of Arabia on tv also got the dvd  love the film
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #313 on: February 11, 2019, 10:22:06 AM »
What about South Pacific at the West End with Mitzi Gainor & Rosano Brattzzi,ran for years
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Spud

« Reply #314 on: February 11, 2019, 03:04:32 PM »
Sound of Music at The Gaumont ran for 168 weeks it was the last Musical written by Rogers and Hammerstein and the last song which they wrote together was Edelweiss. In Fact Richard Rogers completed the score when he alone penned 'Sixteen Going on Seventeen' which was added to to the film version and did not appear in the original Stage show. Doris Day was originally offered the role of 'Maria' but turned it down as she felt that she was 'Too American'
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

townie

« Reply #315 on: February 11, 2019, 10:02:07 PM »
The one and only time ive known my Mom and Dad go to the cinema was to watch the Sound of music at the Gaumont.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Peg Monkey

« Reply #316 on: February 11, 2019, 11:49:17 PM »
Odeon, Sutton Coldfield, 1973. I get tickets for Mrs M. and myself and we make our way to the back row of the circle where we had sat many times before (handy for slipping out mid-performance for refreshments) - so far so good. The movie starts (Soylent Green) and after a few minutes I ask would you like a dog? Moments later I'm at the refreshment bar in the foyer- all is quiet, great no queue. I procure two dogs and two cokes in open carboard cups and head back. Bit of a handful but I take things steady as I negotiate a flight of steps, I'm almost at the top when I trip up the last step.
Things then seem to go into slow motion as I stagger 10 metres or so wondering when I will have a close encounter with the carpet, miraculously somehow I regain my footing with only a slight loss of coke from each cup........
Great film.
Peg.
Soylent Green link:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green

Peg Monkey

« Reply #317 on: February 12, 2019, 07:17:23 PM »
Palace, High St., Erdington - was my nearest cinema (following my move from Hockley to The Lyndhurst Estate, when the Wylde Green Pavilion had closed). It lived from 1923 to 1972 and Oliver was the last film to be screened (starring Ron Moody).
One of the last movies I saw there was Valley of the Dolls (1967). Sharon Tate featured on the list of stars, it was ironic the plot centred on the perils of Hollywood that she should be brutally murdered in 1969 when married to Roman Polanski and 8.1/2 months pregnant. :( :( :(
Peg.

Scipio

« Reply #318 on: February 12, 2019, 08:48:38 PM »
Odeon, Sutton Coldfield, 1973. I get tickets for Mrs M. and myself and we make our way to the back row of the circle where we had sat many times before (handy for slipping out mid-performance for refreshments) - so far so good. The movie starts (Soylent Green) and after a few minutes I ask would you like a dog? Moments later I'm at the refreshment bar in the foyer- all is quiet, great no queue. I procure two dogs and two cokes in open carboard cups and head back. Bit of a handful but I take things steady as I negotiate a flight of steps, I'm almost at the top when I trip up the last step.
Things then seem to go into slow motion as I stagger 10 metres or so wondering when I will have a close encounter with the carpet, miraculously somehow I regain my footing with only a slight loss of coke from each cup........
Great film.
Peg.
Soylent Green link:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green

Peg you wouldn't have got off so lightly at the Forum in New St , the upstair aisles were like the north face of the Eiger , Many a night I
thought I'm going to go apex over elbow shortly , whatsmore that was both directions up and down
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy