Author Topic: Cinemas of Birmingham  (Read 146807 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Cinemas of Birmingham
« Reply #319 on: February 13, 2019, 03:24:03 PM »
I'm only admitting to this because no-one knows who I am (at least, I don't think they know!)..........
Peg.
P.S. The Trap: 1966, World Cup Year.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #320 on: February 22, 2019, 08:16:29 PM »
OK, you've been to see a movie at the cinema and are thinking, Do you know what? I wouldn't mind seeing that again - I'll get the DVD, it will be identical right? - No.
I've probably watched The Shining as many times as billionaire Howard Hughes watched Ice Station Zebra (allegedly 150) but never at the cinema, some years ago I made a VHS recording when it appeared on TV and now the recording is showing its age so a year or so back when asked what do want for Christmas? I replied: The Shining on DVD.
The picture quality was great, but wait! Where's the rest of it?!
My investigations revealed a wide variation in run time:
Premier: 146 minutes
USA version: 144 minutes
European version: 119 minutes
My DVD version (origin unknown) 115 minutes
My old VHS TV recording: about the same as the USA version
So my new DVD was only 79% of the Premier, and that's a full 31 minutes less!
How long's a piece of string? Right? :-\
Peg.

Scipio

« Reply #321 on: February 22, 2019, 09:47:06 PM »
OK, you've been to see a movie at the cinema and are thinking, Do you know what? I wouldn't mind seeing that again - I'll get the DVD, it will be identical right? - No.
I've probably watched The Shining as many times as billionaire Howard Hughes watched Ice Station Zebra (allegedly 150) but never at the cinema, some years ago I made a VHS recording when it appeared on TV and now the recording is showing its age so a year or so back when asked what do want for Christmas? I replied: The Shining on DVD.
The picture quality was great, but wait! Where's the rest of it?!
My investigations revealed a wide variation in run time:

Premier: 146 minutes
USA version: 144 minutes
European version: 119 minutes
My DVD version (origin unknown) 115 minutes
My old VHS TV recording: about the same as the USA version
So my new DVD was only 79% of the Premier, and that's a full 31 minutes less!
How long's a piece of string? Right? :-\
Peg.

Peg The 31 minutes was cut by Kubrick for the USA Home video version which he endorsed the official copy , all the info is available on IMDB
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Peg Monkey

« Reply #322 on: February 23, 2019, 01:07:55 AM »

Peg The 31 minutes was cut by Kubrick for the USA Home video version which he endorsed the official copy , all the info is available on IMDB
Thanks Sci, good job I kept my old uncut VHS version, might be worth something in the future. Apparently Kubrick upset the music score writers by cutting out loads of scenes for which they had written music, one of the writing pair said she would never work with him again.
Peg.
P.S. Loads of info' on this movie on Wikipedia.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #323 on: February 25, 2019, 09:34:30 PM »
Gaumont 1963 - I don't know when The Gaumont had its first giant curved wide screen installed but my first memory of it was in 1963, I was aged 14 and the film I went to see was It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, A comedy treaure hunt with a whole host of stars, I was spellbound by the experience - only one thing - you had to avoid sitting too near the screen otherwise it curved around you and you had to move your head constanly to keep up with the action. At that time The Gaumont screened films for a season and this was one of them.
Ah! Happy Days! O0
Peg.
Link It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_Mad,_Mad,_Mad,_Mad_World

Scipio

« Reply #324 on: February 25, 2019, 09:43:12 PM »
Gaumont 1963 - I don't know when The Gaumont had its first giant curved wide screen installed but my first memory of it was in 1963, I was aged 14 and the film I went to see was It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, A comedy treaure hunt with a whole host of stars, I was spellbound by the experience - only one thing - you had to avoid sitting too near the screen otherwise it curved around you and you had to move your head constanly to keep up with the action. At that time The Gaumont screened films for a season and this was one of them.
Ah! Happy Days! O0
Peg.
Link It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_Mad,_Mad,_Mad,_Mad_World

Peg you'd be no good at Wimbledon then when the tennis is on left to right right to left
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #325 on: February 25, 2019, 11:26:36 PM »
Peg & Scipio,that was one of the greatest most laughable films I've ever seen especially when Micky Rooney Kicked the bucket,
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

GardenGerald

« Reply #326 on: February 26, 2019, 06:01:48 PM »
Hello Ed
I wonder if we went to see it the same night. It was a real good laugh.
Gerald.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #327 on: February 26, 2019, 06:44:14 PM »
Gerald watched it on the Telly 4-5 times still get a good laugh out of it ;D ;D
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Peg Monkey

« Reply #328 on: March 01, 2019, 03:34:21 PM »
No such thing as Good Luck? I've heard the view: You make your own luck, success is down to the efforts of the individual. I've also heard the view: Everyone works hard, some people just get lucky.
Anyone who has tried to get a book published will have found out it's easier to win a fortune on the lottery. When J K Rowling tried to find a publishing house for Harry Potter she met with a "No"  at every turn, the last she tried was Bloomsbury Books (even though it was the wrong genre for that publisher), The Editor, again, rejected her novel and asked his secretary to return it with a polite refusal, it was a Friday night and the secretary wanted a read for the weekend and took the Harry Potter script home; the next Monday morning she told her boss: You've got to publish this!
The rest, as they say, is history.
No such thing as Good Luck? I'll let you decide. :-\
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #329 on: March 02, 2019, 08:00:55 PM »

Peg you'd be no good at Wimbledon then when the tennis is on left to right right to left
Very true Sci, to be honest the tennis wouldn't interest me, my time would be spent in the strawberries and cream tent - double double cream please, anyway, back on thread: my mate's father was a cinema manager 40s and 50s, many cinemas were privately owned then, were they not?
An enduring memory: clouds of cigarette smoke rising in front of the projection light beam.
Peg.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy