Author Topic: Cinemas of Birmingham  (Read 146804 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Cinemas of Birmingham
« Reply #330 on: March 13, 2019, 11:27:22 PM »
Palace, High St, Erdington. Seemed to vanish without trace overnight - one day showing movies the next demolished to make way for the shopping precinct. One film I remember seeing there was Funeral in Berlin (1966), starring Michael Caine, who played Harry Palmer a low ranking secret service agent (a poorman's James Bond), this was the second of Len Deighton's novels (which were set against a back-drop of the cold war 60s) and Caine played Harry Palmer in three of them, the first and probably best known being The IPCRESS File (1965) which also featured the delectable Sue Lloyd (who sadly died in 2011, aged 72) of Crossroads fame. The Third film, which I didn't see (as yet), was Billion Dollar Brain (1967).
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Scipio

« Reply #331 on: March 14, 2019, 08:43:03 PM »
Palace, High St, Erdington. Seemed to vanish without trace overnight - one day showing movies the next demolished to make way for the shopping precinct. One film I remember seeing there was Funeral in Berlin (1966), starring Michael Caine, who played Harry Palmer a low ranking secret service agent (a poorman's James Bond), this was the second of Len Deighton's novels (which were set against a back-drop of the cold war 60s) and Caine played Harry Palmer in three of them, the first and probably best known being The IPCRESS File (1965) which also featured the delectable Sue Lloyd (who sadly died in 2011, aged 72) of Crossroads fame. The Third film, which I didn't see (as yet), was Billion Dollar Brain (1967).
Peg.

Peg I'll remember her moreso as a sidekick to Steve Forrest in The Baron , Crossroads to me was a nonsense . She never actually struck me as an actress with any Umph
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Peg Monkey

« Reply #332 on: March 14, 2019, 08:55:06 PM »

Peg I'll remember her moreso as a sidekick to Steve Forrest in The Baron , Crossroads to me was a nonsense . She never actually struck me as an actress with any Umph
I'd forgotten all about her connection with The Baron, thanks Sci. O0
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #333 on: March 15, 2019, 11:00:51 AM »
The Gaumont also The Bristol and possibly the West End screened films for what we used to call a season they were shown for between 10-12 weeks . Films that I seen at the Gaumont on their extended screenings  West Side Story twice
                                                                                                                  Barabbas          twice
                                                                                                         Lawrence of Arabia     seven times
                                                                                                          The Longest Day        three times
                                                        Bristol                                           Ben Hur                   twice
                                                                                                       Where Eagles Dare         once
                                                       West End                                        Spartacus               twice
Truth is when these cinema's had these films on they decorated the foyers with mannequins/articles synonymous to the film, Roman films you had a legionnaire flags with SPQR laurel leaves etc , war films tommies and wehrmacht soldiers flags etc . It was a great advert for the film to see all this regalia as you went in .

Hi Sci, am I wrong in thinking Where Eagles Dare was also screened at The Gaumont (1968)? I never saw it at the cinema but now I have the DVD and it's on my regular viewing list as I roar around my conservatory on my excecise bike like a thing possessed.
Peg,
P.S. Ingrid Pit - In my view we didn't see nearly enough of her in Where Eagles Dare, but if the wife asks I never said that.
P.P.S. Ingrid Pit: 1937-2010, died aged 73.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #334 on: March 16, 2019, 09:47:32 PM »
Palace, High St, Erdington - I'm trying to work out if the last movie I saw at the Palace was Goal! The film of the 1966 World Cup was screened early (I think) in 1967, I remember going with a group of mates to see it, if I've got my dates right it was not long after that the cinema closed.
Peg.

Scipio

« Reply #335 on: March 16, 2019, 09:57:55 PM »

Hi Sci, am I wrong in thinking Where Eagles Dare was also screened at The Gaumont (1968)? I never saw it at the cinema but now I have the DVD and it's on my regular viewing list as I roar around my conservatory on my excecise bike like a thing possessed.
Peg,
P.S. Ingrid Pit - In my view we didn't see nearly enough of her in Where Eagles Dare, but if the wife asks I never said that.
P.P.S. Ingrid Pit: 1937-2010, died aged 73.

Peg sorry I've only just noticed the question part , I can't remember it being shown at The Gaumont . I may be wrong but films of this
ilk tended only to be shown on one of these cinema's to my knowledge
Mark Twain

baz

« Reply #336 on: March 16, 2019, 10:12:05 PM »

I vaguely remember seeing a couple of episodes of this series while on leave. Didn't The Baron drive the beautiful Jensen CV8 or the Interceptor ?

Scipio

« Reply #337 on: March 16, 2019, 10:19:38 PM »
Peg did you ever go to the Cinephone on Bristol St ? I went there twice first time I saw Angelique c/w sub titles , second visit due to the write ups about it, we were going to be worn out by the time the film was over . The film London in The Raw , advertising spiel "Five healthy men from five different cities fainted when they saw this film" , guess why Peg, the bulk of the film scooted around London's strip joints . The fainting part came in when they showed you an operation on hair transplants , anticlimax or what ?
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #338 on: March 16, 2019, 10:20:54 PM »

I vaguely remember seeing a couple of episodes of this series while on leave. Didn't The Baron drive the beautiful Jensen CV8 or the Interceptor ?

Baz definitely CV8
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #339 on: March 16, 2019, 11:24:29 PM »
Only went once.Quede for about 2hours.It was the 7 deadly Sins.What a waste of time.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

baz

« Reply #340 on: March 17, 2019, 09:22:53 AM »

Baz definitely CV8
[/quote

Got it now.
Cheers mate.]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy