Author Topic: Cinemas of Birmingham  (Read 146812 times)

oldgoose

Re: Cinemas of Birmingham
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2009, 02:03:15 PM »
Thanks Phil47 - it was great to see the pics of the Olton,Tivoli and Adelphi cinemas, when i look at them I remember them well, but trying to remember how they looked is harder.
I get the feeling you could produce an old photo of ANYTHING and I just love looking at old photos

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2009, 02:21:19 PM »
oldgoose

I am constantly being stumped when asked for a photo, you only have to look on this forum at requests I have been unable to  help with, but If some one asks me for a photo that I haven't got a copy of then I will put a note in my book and continue looking. Sometimes at a later date I will be able to come up with it,

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Judy

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
Phil

I have just seen your photo of the Tivoli on Coventry Road, and it brought back memories.  I had forgotten what it looked like, but remember going there once or twice when my 'uncle', Percy Thompson, was the manager there in probably the late 1940's.   Uncle Percy was in fact my Dad's cousin!!   It was good to see the photo.

Judy

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2009, 02:22:46 PM »
How sad to see this old cinema, the Olympia, Ladypool Rd end its days like this. The last time I was down that way it was a Greengrocers, and it wasn't as good as Ray Jones's or Westwoods by a long mile.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Andy Capp

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »
HI PHIL
WE LIVED IN LARCHES STREET FROM 1966 UNTIL 1969. I'VE GOT A FEELING THE OLYMPIA HAD CEASED BEING A CINEMA AT THAT TIME. CAN YOU COFIRM THAT.
ANDY CAPP

Jerry

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2009, 04:36:45 PM »
Hi everyone
some nice pics on here.
I've got quite a lot of pics myself of the old cinemas, so if Phil can't help on a particular name maybe I can?
You'll also find a few pics on my website if anyone would like to visit. I'll be adding some more soon

http://www.smallheathcircle.com/5.html

Best Wishes

Jerry

Always make sure you've got a comfortable bed and a comfortable pair of shoes because you're gonna spend most of your time in one or the other

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2009, 04:53:53 PM »
HI PHIL
WE LIVED IN LARCHES STREET FROM 1966 UNTIL 1969. I'VE GOT A FEELING THE OLYMPIA HAD CEASED BEING A CINEMA AT THAT TIME. CAN YOU COFIRM THAT.
ANDY CAPP

Andy

I think the Olympia closed as a cinema about 1962, I seem to remember it closing during my last year at Dennis Rd School as I used to walk past it from Larches St every day.

Phil.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2009, 05:10:04 PM »
Just for you people who used to live on the northern borders of civilisation, here are a few palaces of entertainment.

The Beacon
The Clifton
The Mayfair
The Birchfield.

Not cinemas that I would have ever used, but I seem to have a hazy recollection of being in the Birchfield once.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jerry

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2009, 10:57:05 PM »
Hope this turns out ok, I've had to reduce size and quality because the max. upload size allowed on this site is a bit smaller than usual

Always make sure you've got a comfortable bed and a comfortable pair of shoes because you're gonna spend most of your time in one or the other

oznow

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
        Hi Jerry,
   I had a quick look at your Small Heath site , Very impressive , great photo's ,
Munze St: , the Small Heath paddling pool , Bring back memories , Thank you .

Oznow  O0 .

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2009, 09:57:27 AM »
Hi Jerry

I had a quick look at your site also, we must collect from the same sources as I have copies of all of them except the ones of Buddy Holly at the town hall, and one of the Piccadilly Cinema, although I have a different one of it, but I found the site very interesting.

Well done keep up the good work, any site about Birmingham can only be a good thing. If I can help you out with any photo's of Small Heath let me know. only I have to warn you they might not be as fine a quality as yours.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy