Author Topic: Cinemas of Birmingham  (Read 146838 times)

Spud

Re: Cinemas of Birmingham
« Reply #352 on: May 02, 2019, 08:42:25 AM »
Forgotten the Last time I went to the Cinema probably the last James Bond Spectre. I do like Good old film Watched the original Cinema Version Of MASH on DVD the other night hat an interesting funny serious film.
Even with all the modern technology sound CGI etc i just can't be bothered with today's films  Too many animation films not enough Drama.But I am looking forward to [that is if is ever made] the new version of West Side Story directed by Steven Spielberg  I understand that the main parts have already been cast.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

JudithM

« Reply #353 on: May 02, 2019, 02:10:06 PM »

Me and a mate from school had the pleasure of seeing A Shot in The Dark with the lovable Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau . Plus the great actor Herbert Lom in the 60's , Those were the days people watched films, instead of setting the cinema alight
I'm always deeply suspicious when these sorts of buildings are set alight.  There has been a big campaign with local public support to get the building refurbished & back into use for the community, but could the landowners get more money from knocking it down & selling off the land for housing?  ::)

"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

mikejee

« Reply #354 on: May 02, 2019, 02:18:07 PM »
The answer of course Judith is YES. And councillors can get encouragement to ignore that these things happened

The Goalzone

« Reply #355 on: July 27, 2020, 02:41:16 PM »
Any pics of the Newtown Palace , The ABC Orient and the Globe at 6 ways Aston please

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #356 on: July 27, 2020, 03:32:23 PM »
this is the only globe i could find in aston

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

The Goalzone

« Reply #357 on: July 27, 2020, 04:06:39 PM »
Thanks you so much- remember it well

wally

« Reply #358 on: August 15, 2020, 10:19:22 PM »
When I worked at the Adelphi Cinema in Hay Mills, one week we had Blue Hawaii as the main feature, the following week was The Young Ones. For both films there were people queuing down to Redhill Road. The ice cream and sweet sales were sky high that fortnight, apart from the projection team everybody got a good bonus. We felt sorry for the kids who attended the Saturday Minors club, the films were so badly scratched it is a wonder if they made any sense of them!

Scipio

« Reply #359 on: August 15, 2020, 10:26:44 PM »
When I worked at the Adelphi Cinema in Hay Mills, one week we had Blue Hawaii as the main feature, the following week was The Young Ones. For both films there were people queuing down to Redhill Road. The ice cream and sweet sales were sky high that fortnight, apart from the projection team everybody got a good bonus. We felt sorry for the kids who attended the Saturday Minors club, the films were so badly scratched it is a wonder if they made any sense of them!

Don't worry Wally we as ABC minors still enjoyed all thae action at whichever picture houses we were at ie The Edgabaston, Crown, Ledsam, Lyric. Still remember those good old days thanks .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #360 on: August 15, 2020, 11:29:12 PM »
DONT FORGET THE ASHTED THREEPENIE  CRUSH.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Trixsie

« Reply #361 on: May 24, 2021, 06:48:17 PM »
I went with my boyfriend (now my husband) to see the 1970 movie Love Story at the Sutton Coldfield Odeon, he was so moved by the plot on leaving the cinema car park the door of our Mini flew open violently - it hadn't been shut properly, fortunately no-one and nothing was nearby to be hit. 

Peg Monkey

« Reply #362 on: June 14, 2021, 02:47:21 PM »
Barbara Windsor's infamous bikini top (together with briefs) goes to auction today, Guide price: £800-£1200.
Barbara was seen NOT wearing the top in the 1969 film Carry on Camping, which was the top grossing film at UK box offices that year.
Peg
P.S. There is an ugly rumour circulating that I have created this post purely out of self-gratification.....the very thought.
P.P.S Am I worried the ladies of The Forum will take a dim view of this post? - No, I think they have all deserted us.
P.P.P.S. Babs: Shoulders back chest out, it's taken me all day to get this link, I'm guessing Facebook has had more views of this clip than any other in the last year, maybe the decade!
Link: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=241415687407984  Tip: click on enlarge
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy