Author Topic: Cinemas of Birmingham  (Read 146801 times)

Jerry

Re: Cinemas of Birmingham
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2009, 10:14:43 AM »
Hi Phil and thanks
On the subject of photo quality I get a lot of faded and/or damaged photos sent to me by people on on my website and I can usually improve and repair most of them so if anyone needs any photos refreshed or mended I'll be glad to help. You can post them on the forum or email them to me.

Jerry
Always make sure you've got a comfortable bed and a comfortable pair of shoes because you're gonna spend most of your time in one or the other

bookworm

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2009, 03:17:25 PM »
Hi Jerry, just seen your picture of the Waldorf in Walford Road, memories came flooding back. I worked there for a long time under the wings of Mr Butler and Mrs Lloyd. Happy days.

Jerry

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2009, 04:06:18 PM »
Hi Bookworm, I'm sure you remember the snooker hall and next to it a shop that sold American and other foreign cigarettes ( those French ones were vile) and there was the american style milk bar where you could sit on a stool at the counter and enjoy a great ice cream milk shake and, of course who could forget this place ;)

Always make sure you've got a comfortable bed and a comfortable pair of shoes because you're gonna spend most of your time in one or the other

Jerry

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2009, 04:10:09 PM »
Sorry about that, I attached the thumbnail instead of the full size pic ::)

bookworm

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2009, 04:34:32 PM »
Hi Jerry, I will never forget the Embassy. It was a favourite haunt of mine on a Saturday and the shop you are on about was The Black Magic Shop. I also enjoyed the icecream shakes at the bar and I could also buy just one extra long (and it was big) cigarette. I think it was sixpence? They sold Turkish, American and Sweet Afton which I think were from Ireland? I do remember the cheeky chaps from the snooker hall and the cheekier ones who came into the picture house. So many memories!

Jerry

« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2009, 06:52:19 PM »
Sorry to go off topic again but I couldn't resist sending this as a follow-up to the Embassy pic  ;)

bookworm

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2009, 09:13:25 PM »
I wonder what happened to all the old skates?? They were probably lost in the fire!

john2000

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2009, 09:17:42 PM »
the most precious thing you cold have was a pair of rollerskates with wooden wheels..( I had metal ones, and one pair made from rubber)...J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

bookworm

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2009, 09:26:16 PM »
The first skates I used had wooden wheels...I still have the bruises to prove it but they were the best.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2009, 09:04:07 PM »
Another fine old cinema, gone the way of many The Kingsway. Do you know I never knew its name was the Essoldo until I saw one of these photo's for the first time.

I can remember the first film I saw at this Cinema. It was The Robe in about 1954 with Richard Burton & Jean Simmons and Victor Mature. It wouldn't get much of a crowd today hardly any blood at all.

Anybody know what its used for today?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sheldonboy

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2009, 06:31:12 AM »
Has the Forum ever recounted the long lost Cinemas

If not I can kick off with
The Tivoli          Yardley
The Beaufort    by the Fox and Goose
The Adelphi       Yardley
The Sheldon      Sheldon