Author Topic: Birmingham's Industrial Heritage  (Read 20647 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Birmingham's Industrial Heritage
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
m.i.b.

So how long is it going to be, before I can see sights like this within the boundaries of Birmingham again. Or will I ever?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 10:29:02 PM »
Or am I going to have to continue looking at some of our best exhibits on the odd day that the museums department can spare the time.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 10:52:44 PM »
Phil,

You keep coming up with the goods, well done and thank you for yet more fine photos O0

tramp

madeinbirmingham

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 10:53:28 PM »
Dosnt it make you want to cry!
www.madeinbirmingham.org  Birmingham's Industrial History Website

madeinbirmingham

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 10:54:30 PM »
Dosnt it make you want to cry!

think I spotted a P5B there

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 11:15:06 PM »
I think the fire tender in the background the middle photo at the old science museum is the same one on the second photo at Dollman St Stores.

It was good enough for pride of place in Newhall Street, but obviously not good enough for the Thin Tank so it is banished to a storeroom until it rots away. You cant tell me that all the things that are stored there are getting proper attention.

Tell you what they could use for a museum. and that is an old factory building that has closed down. There are plenty of them about, I understand that the Rover will be vacant quite soon. Or perhaps there is part of Longbridge left that could be utilised. It would be a far better use than Apartment buildings,

Phil

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

madeinbirmingham

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 11:17:26 PM »
I suggested Longbridge--the local councillor at the time jumped on board with support-then never heard from him again!

Just pulled this off my site

Posted: 29 Feb 2008 10:32 am   
Post subject: BIRMINGHAM'S MISSED OPPORTUNITY     Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster

The development of a major industrial museum dedicated to Birmingham is long overdue in this city, a city which owes its very existence to industry.

There are plenty of sites within Birmingham to provide such a museum and what better way is there to put Birmingham on the tourist map, provide employment and of course provide an excellent day out experience within the city, something which Birmingham has always lacked.

Its seems however that this opportunity will be missed as Birmingham is more interested in bars, restaurants and shops. Oh if only we had another Joseph Chamberlain on the council.

The BMAG(Museums) store in Dolman Street, Birmingham holds half a million artefacts, and at least half of these are of industrial interest. This facility is only open on two days a year for the public to visit. This is a shocking waste of ratepayers money, as most of the exhibits should be in a dedicated industrial museum on public view.

Below are the aims of the Black Country Museum

* Collecting and preserving material relating to the story of the Black
Country

* Researching the story of the Black Country

* Operating the open air museum and other displays

* Maintaining financial viability

* Promoting the Black Country

See anything here that could be replicated in Birmingham?

CONTACT YOUR LOCAL COUNCILLOR NOW

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateContent?CONTENT_ITEM_ID=6149&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=579

madeinbirmingham

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2009, 04:33:23 PM »
I'm not expecting to be here in 20 years. It would be nice, but.

Phil

Phil could you hang on please I need the support?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2009, 04:55:05 PM »
Phil could you hang on please I need the support?

I will try, believe me I will try.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

phil48

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2012, 11:46:36 PM »
I commented about this subject on another birmingham site and didnt get much response only dates and times when dollman street was open , i suggested what about curzon street a prime site that was close to the heartland of much brums industrial heritage a site that might become available if the rumour about hs2 comes to fruition i think something along the lines of the black country museum would be perfect it started small and is now a very popular museum.
phil

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2012, 10:12:34 AM »
Phil

I haven't heard much about the museum stores of late, but I'm sure I read somewhere that they were looking for an organisation to take over the running of it. I will have to see if I can remember where I read it.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy