Author Topic: Birmingham's Industrial Heritage  (Read 20644 times)

John M

Re: Birmingham's Industrial Heritage
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2012, 06:46:04 AM »
I worked for Arthur Price of England - a cutlery manufacturer - in Alum Rock.
This was during 1977 to 1981.
The factory was absolutely Victorian, many machines (large ancient presses) still being driven by leather belts.
A lot of people in the press shop had fingers missing, Old Joe only had his thumb and little finger on his right hand - three seperate accidents over the years all for Arthur Price.
There had recently put guards on the machine but they slowed the piece-workers down and were rubbish anyway, didn't really guard anything.
I think they moved to Lichfield shortly after I left (boy was I happy to leave). They had been in Alum Rock for a long time - before world war one I think.
During my time they aquired Pepper and Hope, a silversmith/tableware company that were based in New Canal Street.
Not the happiest days of my life.

mikanmart

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2012, 02:47:47 PM »
I worked at Wilmot Breeden in Tyseley .
Now , what did they do ?
Most of you older people will have had their name in your pocket at some time .

May I also make the comment that this thread is supposed to be about Birmingham Industries ? .
I very nearly didn't post here because of the blatant hijacking of the thread for a plea to support a museum .
Very laudable aim , but I may not be the only person discouraged by thread hijacking .
Have a little respect for other peoples' threads and try to make it more interesting by sticking to the subject .
If you think I am being daft (or whatever) just check the number of posts identifying various companies against the number about getting a museum .

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2012, 06:10:32 PM »
mikanmart

It cant be a hijacking if the original poster (in this case myself) is the one who introduces the new element which here concerns an industrial museum or centre. In fact the change of direction still concerns Birmingham's Industrial Heritage of which I am now even more certain than ever needs a focal point of interest such as the Black Country Museum or similar.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2012, 08:43:32 PM »
hi mikamart  welcome the forum   
I read somewhere on this site about another site where it was "clique-y" .
 I hope this one isn't .
we do not discuss other forum on this forum we find that we have member who are on more than one forum and they decide for them selves where and what they post its better that way  so enjoy the forum Roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

mikanmart

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2012, 09:00:56 PM »
(sigh)
         Your first post talked of and gave examples of Industrial Heritage .
 I do speak and understand English . I know what heritage means . I went to a Grammar School .
 So unless you want to turn this thread into a debate about whether or not Birmingham needs a new museum , perhaps you should consider what should form the basis of this museum .
 The answer to that will be found in peoples' recollections of where they worked , what they worked on , what they made and even how much they got paid .
 Because , if you have no history , you cannot make a heritage centre to it .
 So shall we keep this thread to discussions and examples of how people earned a living and what they produced ? .
 For example , how many reading this know that the Coop Pram  Factory in Yardley produced fuselages for the Mosquito aircraft during WW2 ?
 That would not come out in debating museums , lack of .

Mike

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2012, 09:07:58 PM »
You can post whatever you like about Birmingham industry on this thread, but like it or not it also includes references to indusrial heritage and to me that means mentions of museums can be included. If you want a thread on Birmingham industry with no mention of museums then please feel at liberty to start your own.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2012, 10:54:16 PM »
Now that you have enough posts under your belt to recieve and send messages through the messaging system, I will tell you this only once we do not pick arguments or make argumentative posts on this forum. If you do not like the way things are run then you are a liberty to message either of the moderators with your complaints but not to post them to the forum. Any further posts along these lines will be removed and will earn you official warnings.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2012, 10:58:26 PM »
Your reply sums up exactly what I mean-----when challenged , get rid of the opposition .
Childish really .

Why would any forum want you on it if you are so aggressive and confrontational.

mikanmart

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2012, 11:06:25 PM »
 Anyway , as I was saying , I worked at Wilmot Breeden and asked if anyone knew what they made , hinting that you may have had one of their products in your pocket at some time . Or in your handbag , ladies , and men I suppose , mustn't leave anyone out
 Now I wasn't thinking of fuselages for Wellington bombers which they made , nor the sub-assemblies for Spitfires and Lancasters at Castle Bromwich , nor indeed the many types of high explosive shells , some of which went to Castle Bromwich for filling with explosive . Or even the .303 bullets that went to Eley Kynoch at Winson Green for assembly and filling .
 No , it was something smaller that will make you say "Ah , of course , I remember that" which is the usual response when i show them such an item .
 Industry in Birmingham was very friendly in some respects with cooperation between companies at a level you possibly would not expect . For example , when I was at Wilmot Breeden , as part of my education I was sent round the corner to the King Dick factory where I was shown how spanners were made , and as a parting shot was given a full King Dick tool set . I still have some of it , and believe me , Drapers et al are not a mark on them for toughness and finish .
 There you are , half a dozen companies in one post .
 Now someone else have a go .

Mike

ps I have just been warned that I may wish to review my post as two others were made while I was writing this one .
      I have no need to , I have read the two posts------everyone is entitled to their opinion .

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2012, 11:14:41 PM »
Could I just amend your ps: everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as it complies with the rules of the forum. If not they would be wise to keep it to their self. By the way the warning you got between posts is an automated response warning you that other posts have been made whilst you were typing.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikanmart

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2012, 10:47:06 AM »
I have not received any such messages .
I cannot reply to your PM .

Mike

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy