Author Topic: 1950s ice lols  (Read 8013 times)

wombat

Re: 1950s ice lols
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 08:26:04 AM »
Hi All

Thanks for memories so far - husband says he remembers the triangular jubblies but still going on about the Canadian connection............

Incidentally as a newbie I've had a trawl round this site and am amazed at the amount of info.  I could happily get lost for days going through the back posts.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 11:00:40 AM »
wombat

So you have read all about us, so its time you told us about yourself. Nothing personal just something like where in Birmingham you originate from. Its funny but in my experience of meeting few people, very few still live in the district where they were born.

The think is, I have found on this forum for most on this forum. Moving out to the outskirts wasn't enough, they moved out of the town and even out of the country.

Due to your Avatar, I'm assuming that you now reside in Australia.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

wombat

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 11:45:07 AM »
Hi Phil

I'm not a Brummie but married one and we live in Droitwich.   'Wombat' comes from two lovely trips to Oz - I'd love to live there but frail parents and kids keep us here.

I was born in Worcester and in the 50s we never got as far abroad as Birmingham.

Husband Dave is Brummie to the core and often takes me on magical mystery tours of his childhood haunts.  I'll check a few facts with him but know he was a member of the cycling club mentioned elsewhere and worked at the ice rink setting up for the bands and sharpening the blades!

Linda

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 12:12:49 PM »
Hi Linda

I have many happy memories of Worcester, how lucky you are living in such a beautiful part of the country. Where does your hubby come from, you never know he might be one of my old mates. Quite a few of them married Worcester girls.

Here's a little story about Worcester, I know it's off thread but it might interest you. One Saturday night in the 60S we ran two girls home to Worcester we had met at a night club in Birmingham. As it was about 4.a.m. when we finally dropped them off we decided to get our heads down in the car for a couple of hours before heading back to Brum.

On waking about 7 a.m. we headed the nearest toilets for a wash and brush up. The nearest one was at the head of Bridge Street. After availing ourselves of the facilities and giving the attendant a generous tip. We asked the attendant where was the nearest cafe we could get some breakfast at and his reply was “you are joking aren't you” (it was a Sunday in 1965)

He next words were “if you are hungry I can do you something”. Smiling to ourselves we agreed, he cooked us one of the best mixed grills I have ever eaten. We left there thanking him profusely as he would not accept a penny in payment.

Sadly that underground toilet has gone the same way as many of its ilk, but I can never visit Worcester or think about the city without smiling and recalling how I ate a full English breakfast in a public convenience there.

Linda some of the members here might have seen this little story on another forum, but I just thought being a local girl, it might interest you.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 01:33:07 PM »
Linda,

Welcome to the forum.  As Phil said, you live in a beautiful part of England.  Getting on the 144 Midland Red (and sitting upstairs at rhe front on my tod) going down twice go Worcester as a child are clear and happy memories.  I got into your lovely cricket ground free the first time, that's what I'd gone down for, Worcs were playing Warwicks about 1951 or 52.  All my old memories of brum and the Midlands are pretty clear as I left in 1956 and finally for good in early 59.  Like a few others, I'm an expat - and it's a sunny 26C at 9.30 am and the woodpeckers are calling loud and clear - which seems to keep most of the other birds quiet apart from the occasional passing heron.   

tramp

denise

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 02:22:47 PM »
I remember those great big jubilee's,they were huge and lasted for ages,remember used to suck all the orange out till theywent white.

You can get the smaller ones for the freezer but not the same..........and should a middle aged lady be seen sucking madly at a jublee? ;D

wombat

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 02:38:57 PM »
Hi All

Wombat's husband here - David.  This is completely off topic but as you asked.........

I was born in 1949, lived in Upper Cox Street and went to Mary Street School, then Hope Street.  Reading some of your past posts people mention places like Calthorpe Park and the Black Patch, JakemanWalk (where my cousin lived) and Cox St. West where my grandmother lived.

I used to do a paper round for Joe Evans who owned the shop on the corner of Cox St. West and Cheddar Road? My round included Cox St West, Upper Cox St., Balfour St, Edward Rd and Lincoln St.

For a short while I was a member of the Wyndham Cycle Racing Club, but after a disastrous 25 mile time trial and coming last I was knackered and gave it up as a bad job.

We moved from Balsall Heath in 1963 to Sparkhill but continued schooling at Hope St. and with the paper round.

Before I left school I took part time job at Silver Blades Ice Rink in 1965 and then full time employment when I left school.  I was  ice rink electrician's assistant but one of the exciting parts of the job was setting up bands on Saturday and Sunday nights and operating spotlights.

What's happend to all those great Saturday matinees at the Luxor ....... will look elsewhere and see if anyone else remembers this.

Still need to know about those canadian blue ice lollies though.....

David

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 02:52:22 PM »
hi wombat and welcome to the both of you going off topic not a prob and i note that you come back on to topic you will find that its an easy going forum some members do not like it but thats the way it is so do not worry to much

now blue lollies  now some shops would make there own lollies and some would make there own pop(2p per bot) some would sell you one fag things back in the 50 and later would look to find away of making a few bob

so the shop that you got your lollies from might have been a one off until other shops got in on the act    Roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

tramp

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 02:55:55 PM »
David,

And a big welcome to you too.  You've obviously had a good look round, so just get stuck in and enjoy it  - most of us are a fairly down to earh lot and about your vintage - in fact a lot of us are 1940s, and there are some older as wellas younger .  O0

john2000

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 07:05:20 AM »
You stil cant beat Midland counties ice cream, it had that special taste, never forgoten, I used to have an uncle who sold ice creams from a horse and cart, used to taste ok too, but when the wind was blowing from the horse the taste was some what different...... :D..J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

john2000

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 07:14:21 AM »
David Wombat.. welcome, I used to live in Coxs St West, ( maybe we used to throw stones at each other.....Phil47 has posted some photos of our area, and I think you will remember them quite well, theres even a photo of the outdoor across the road from the doctors place ( used tobe cleaned by Mrs Querk,) and on the other corner was as you say Joe evens, the paper shop,
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy