Author Topic: 1950s ice lols  (Read 7997 times)

tramp

Re: 1950s ice lols
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 12:55:06 PM »
John threw stones at everyone as he raced by on his bicycle.......he moved to Holland so he could continue doing it while ''staying lost in the crowd''...he also chucks old tyre valves about, while sucking a ice lol O0

oldgoose

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 04:48:51 PM »
The thing I remember about jublies was that they could make your mouth bleed. I often found slivers of blood on the ice where I had sucked a bit too hard.  The red ones were called 'jungle juice' and does anyone remember ice-creams on a stick in strawberry or vanilla flour?
They were delicious.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 05:03:13 PM »
oldgoose yes i do made by walls  my aunt had a prefab and she had a fridge with a freeze box and she would get some jelly and mix it with  condense milk and freeze it that was good and it all most tasted the same has the walls stuff
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

mr wombat

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 08:43:20 PM »
Hi john2000  David here ( wombats husband ) and yes I decided to register.
I think that you are a few years older than me henceI, probably didn`t throw stones at you.
However I have looked at the photos posted of cox st west and upper cox st. and I can recognise
nearly all the shops and factories.
I will, in time ,follow up on those topics and throw some of suggestions and stories in that I am sure you will interesting and funny(Ihope).

Can I say also at this point a very big thanks to all who so far for bringing back memories of a very happy childhood.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 08:56:58 PM »
hi MR wombat a happy childhood yep i think most of us from round there had good times most we made our self's calthorp park the river Rea cannon hill park sneaking in the  luxor playing on the bombing going in to woolys see what you could get for a penny down the chippy Penny's worth of bits in a news paper no shoes on our feet asss out of our pants yep good days

Mary8790

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2009, 08:08:47 PM »
Half frozen Jublies were best, much kinder to your mouth!! Hi David Wombat do you remember when the Hollies and the Merseys played at the Silver Blades in the 60s, happy days.

mr wombat

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2009, 07:05:59 PM »
Hi Mary8790

I used to work at the ice rink during the early 60`s and one of my jobs was to set up the groups on  a Saturday and Sunday night.
After the gig we used to take the groups for a skate around when everyone had gone home.
I don`t remember the merseys or the hollies but there were so many that it was just another group in them days.

I do remember helping around the rink Peter Noone (Hermans Hermits) and Dave Berry (and the Cruisers), The Move,Mike Sheridan and the Nightriders,and more.

In a book called Brum Rocks On (written by Laurie Hornsby) there is a picture of The Move backstage at Silver Blades and I am in picture with them.

I recently met Bev Beavan And Trevor Burton  who autographed the photo for me.

David.

oldgoose

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 09:36:57 AM »
Talking of 'Silver Blades' does anyone remember the disco that was added to Silver Blades for a time, it was called Soundwaves and was a like a dark tunnel . I went there once with some girls from school (it was probably 1968) but it gave me claustrophobia.I don't think it lasted too long.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 02:02:19 PM »
 i can remember the  heart beat  thats about it

john2000

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 02:37:14 PM »
Haven't heard one of them for years, I hope I've still got one,  :o
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

tramp

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 03:39:12 PM »
John,

Keep your finger on your pulse, stand close to the clock, listen hard, if you hear the clock - no worries  O0- if you don't, you won't read this again :(  - but no worries - ever again.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy