Author Topic: CHARACTERS IN THE BULLRING  (Read 51161 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: CHARACTERS IN THE BULLRING
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2009, 10:23:01 AM »
tramp

There are many Little Chefs scattered along out highways, but trade has been dropping off over the last few years. Poor meals & high prices in my view are the cause. You can always tell when an enterprise is doing poorly, they start offering free toys and goodies to the kids.

I see of late that a lot of Travel Lodge motels have opened next door to some of them. I suppose they are hoping this will generate a new customer base.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Andy Capp

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 11:26:28 PM »
THE BULLRING AS WAS

Telstar

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 11:48:59 PM »
Hi Andy Cap, I keep banging on about how fabulous the streetscapes were in the old days, before they destroyed the place with featureless, steel, glass and concrete ..... The old Birmingham city centre has gone forever ..... ruined .....

You feel you could step into that picture and just enjoy rambling up and down ... It's full of character .... it's real .... and I wish it was still there now ....

Telstar      :-\
The truth always prevails.....

Andy Capp

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 11:54:38 PM »
HI TELSTAR YES RIGHT YOU FEEL AS YOU COULD WALK INTO THE PICTURE. THE NEXT BEST THING TO A TIME MACHINE

tramp

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2009, 02:46:43 AM »
Excellent photo Andy and you put it so well ''You feel as if you could walk into the picture''  That's the only Bull Ring I've ever known - I've not been in it for exactly 50 years this month.....and in my mind it's never changed.....memories....life in the bank. 

I've seen a few places since but I can very clearly remember walking to the Bull Ring from Balsall Heath to buy the Sunday Times on Churchill's birthday a few years before, as it was giving away a big picture of him.  No paper shop on the way had one, but I knew I'd get one in the Bull Ring, if not, at a station.  I'd saved up for it and was as pleased as punch with it and it didn't rain on the way back either, so I got it home without a spot or crinkle - happy as a sand boy O0

oznow

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2009, 06:46:55 AM »
HI ... Brilliant photo of the Bull Ring ... Mr Andy Capp .. Thank you ,

You're absolutely right Telstar ... "You feel you could almost step in to the picture" .
 If I look really hard in to it ............

I can almost see little Rodger the Dodger  and his mate Bill Sykes ,
 Wonderful stuff ah .

OZNOW  O0 .

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2009, 04:39:13 PM »
Andy

A little look down Digbeth from the Bull Ring, I suppose its possible it might have been taken from the Rotunda. Otherwise it would have to be an aeroplane or helicopter.

Next up a peek out of the back door of the old market hall into Worcester St and Dudley St.

And the last peek is down the High St into Dale End.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2009, 07:08:57 PM »
Phil,

Congratulations, very fine photos again - the Bull Ring to Digbeth one is excellent.  I never saw the post 58-9 redevelopment, so the view of the Bull Ring is particularly informative - thank you very much.

tramp

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2009, 12:45:58 PM »
Well this is a character that you don't often see in the Bull Ring (well close to it).
Clint Eastwood staying at the Albany Hotel in 1967. When visiting Birmingham with his wife Maggie.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2009, 06:26:46 PM »
i have been in the Albany for a drink with my girl friend a few times, i mist staying there once we were off on holiday from Elmdon airport and the plane was delade so we had to go home or to an hotel we went home we didn't know the hotel was the Albany [censored]  >:( the next day we all got off to Itali.  8)
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

tramp

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2009, 06:29:26 PM »
I had my first drink ''in town'' at the then brand new Albany - have not been back in just over 50 years

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy