Author Topic: The QE2 ......  (Read 2630 times)

Telstar

The QE2 ......
« on: January 12, 2009, 07:47:40 AM »
The QE2 sails into the sunset for the last time and many people around the world are sad to say good bye !......

Her fate awaits her as a hotel, like another grand old Queen that went before her .....

God Bless Her and all who stay in Her ........

The truth always prevails.....

tramp

Re: The QE2 ......
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 02:39:54 AM »
Some TROOPSHIP, huh?

Telstar

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 03:41:07 PM »
The Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary and QE2 all did a stint as troop ships ...... Wonderful looking elegant ships ..... Saw the QE2 moored in Dublin Bay and on the Med ...... People came from everywhere, all over Ireland to see it .....

It was a beautiful summers day when it made it's first visit to Dublin in July 97 .... I came over the hill and down in the distance was this work of art ...... gracefully basking in the sunshine ....... Her peerless splendour couldn't be matched for sheer stage presence ..... A show stopper .......

Wonder if the QM2 will ever be needed ...... Unlike the elegance of design of it's predecessors, it's top heavy looking, lumpy and definitely a case for less is more ...... It reminds me of what the designers did to the Rolls Royce ...... gave it a beefy overweight, industrial look ...... Not attractive at all .......

Some people might like that ..... but then some people have no eye for detail or little taste .....

The designer, Stephan Payne, was awarded an OBE for services ...... In an interview he said he was always enchanted and inspired by the early great liners design and their elegance..... 

Bearing that in mind he would use that knowledge to design a truly elegant ship in the same tradition .....

Some people sure know how to talk a good fight .........

Some photo angles do make the hull of the QM2 look curvy and sleek ..... The bridge is the same design as what went before, except it is too wide and completely out of proportion, as is the upper decks, with the hull they rest on ..... Too square looking and a little like a big boxy overladen container ship ......

Having said all that I'm sure it will attract the crowds as the QE2 did ...... Below in the foreground is the old Queen Mary. She is being paid a visit by the cumbersome looking QM2 .... which looks like any other ship or ferry of the day .....

In fairness the photo doesn't do the new QM2 any favours but, the truth is, she just isn't very photogenic ....... or splendid at all ......

tramp

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 08:03:20 PM »
The Queen Mary looked what she was, an elegant lady of the seas of her era; QM2 looks like a pregnant 21st century cruise ship.   

The QE 2 remains an immensely urbane ship that is simply unique.

Telstar

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 09:14:50 AM »
Here is another new ship from Cunard, The Queen Victoria ..... described by some journalists as having a most lavishly appointed mix of old world and art deco interior, making her the grandest of the three Queens .....

This portside angle flatters her as other photos show her to be in keeping with the QM2, though smaller ......

Of the two new ships it would be the favourite ...... It is also the first Queen in 75 years not to be launched by a monarch ..... She was launched by The Duchess of Cornwall on the 11th of December 2007 .... with the bottle of champagne failing to break on impact ..... 

Telstar

tramp

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 03:28:55 AM »
We should expect ships like these last two Cunard ships, as Cunard is owned by a US ''Holiday Cruise'' outfit.....and it's a case of cram 'em in and pile 'em high.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 04:31:57 PM »
the QE2 what a ship room to move all mod cons they knew how to build a ship
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

tramp

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 10:29:14 PM »
Roy,

''Clyde Built'' by John Brown - that's why O0

Hawkmoon

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 08:52:22 AM »
A rubbish photo I know, but rescued from some holiday slides. I believe this was Southampton 1969 on her maiden voyage to New York.

tramp

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 11:11:19 AM »
Welcome to BF Hawkmoon,

This is actually a very good, and historic photograph, thank you very much.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 10:04:06 AM »
The only ships (or is it boats) I have ever been on are the ferries to the Isle of Man, The Isle of White and Jersey. Oh yes and a canoe at Cannon Hill Park. I didn't like the look of the boats on the other lake as they looked too low in the water.

We only ever took the ferry to Jersey once. It was a seven hour crossing and the outward journey was fine. It was the return journey that was a little rough. One of our party spent the whole seven hours in the toilet being sick. The only time she came out was on the four occasions when they closed the toilets so the whole place could be mopped out, a consequence of most of the passengers being ill.

The one good thing was, there were no queues in the bar or the restaurant. Needless to say after the initial trip by ferry, we flew on all other occasions.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy