Author Topic: the last chance cafe in aston  (Read 6928 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
the last chance cafe in aston
« on: January 20, 2009, 05:21:41 PM »
any body remember the last chance cafe it was an all night cafe for the lorry drivers i spent a bit of time in there on the weekend after being in town on a night out it seem that all the groups used that place after a gig   the brum beats Ozzy Osbourne Roy wood to name but a few and some nights i would get a lift up to smoky Joes in northfield that was an all night cafe to i used to play the pinball  and win fags now and then the 5 in a line
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: the last chance cafe in aston
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 05:47:36 PM »
Roy

If you were going anywhere on the thumb in the 60's. Going north you called in at The Last Chance, and if you were going south west it was Smoky Joe's. As you say before the advent of the motorway you never knew who you would bump in to having a bacon sandwich.

I haven't got a photo of Smoky Joe's, but I managed to find this one of The Last Chance (a not very good one).

Something else this modern world has put an end to, hitch hiking. Who would stop now to give someone a lift who was o the thumb. You would have to be a brave or foolish person.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 06:56:37 PM »
 yes Phil your so right give a girl a lift and you could end up in nick or give me your money or ill scream rape in them days you could get any where in the north or south via Smokey's or the last chance all you had to do was ask and if your face was known you was OK i wonder when the last chance went or is the building still there  roy

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 07:54:10 PM »
Roy

If you took yourself down there today, you would get lost. There are only half a dozen original building left on Lichfield Rd. The last Chance isn't one of them. In fact on the rare occasions I go back to places like Nechells and Aston. I wonder what happened to all the people because whole areas are now industrial parks.

The trouble is most of them are empty, thats something that the property speculators never expected.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 08:08:19 PM »
 i have not been down that way for a long time phil the nearest iv been is by the clock garage not to far from the old fort dunlop i had to find my way to marsh lane erdington well the bottom of it where the old fisher and ludlow place used to be

jaykay

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 10:56:58 AM »

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 11:01:45 AM »
that looks like smokyjoes 

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 11:14:45 AM »
not sure now it might be the bonanza i know there was two

ultraphil

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 11:54:45 AM »
Wow!  Would this Cafe have been open in the late 50s?  Mum use to joke about her and Dad going to the Last Chance Cafe in one of their early dates in the Army.....or was it likely that there were half a dozen Cafes with the same name in England at that time.
Phil Essam
Canberra, Australia

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: the last chance café in aston
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 12:59:57 PM »
Hi ultraphil,

I hope somebody will put me right, but I don't think The Last Chance café on the corner of Lichfield Rd & Waterworks St was named as that until after the M6 interchange (Spaghetti Junction) was built as it was the last chance to get a cup of tea and a bite to eat before the motorway.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 02:00:23 PM »
Roy, Phil, Should have gone to specsavers    :D

It clearly says Smokey Joes on the front of the cafe.  Besides that, I can confirm that it is Smokey Joes, as I lived out that way, and regularly passed by it, after we left B,heath due to the redevelopement. Hope this helps you all.   O0
                                                                                                                             Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy