Author Topic: MOSELEY  (Read 70943 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: MOSELEY
« Reply #198 on: November 20, 2018, 02:33:38 PM »
Yes Judith it will be good to see some more local lines in use again, proving that Dr Beeching got it all wrong when he closed most of the local lines. Luckily the tracks weren't ripped up like they were in other places. If it wasn't for the fact they were needed to transport goods they would have been.

I prefer local trains to buses any day on the odd occasion that I use public transport, and I'm a regular user of the Solihull to Birmingham line. On a good day I can be in Birmingham city centre within 12 minutes of leaving Solihull a journey that can take up to one hour by car, then you have to find a parking space that you can be ripped off for.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #199 on: November 20, 2018, 05:09:07 PM »
Judith, It all depends whether you want to run a successful business or not. Although most of us disagree with what Dr Beeching did, he was running a business and I wouldn't want someone who I had employed to run my business loose me money. 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

JudithM

« Reply #200 on: November 21, 2018, 01:14:42 PM »
Yes Judith it will be good to see some more local lines in use again, proving that Dr Beeching got it all wrong when he closed most of the local lines. Luckily the tracks weren't ripped up like they were in other places. If it wasn't for the fact they were needed to transport goods they would have been.

I prefer local trains to buses any day on the odd occasion that I use public transport, and I'm a regular user of the Solihull to Birmingham line. On a good day I can be in Birmingham city centre within 12 minutes of leaving Solihull a journey that can take up to one hour by car, then you have to find a parking space that you can be ripped off for.

I use the Birmingham to Solihull (or Olton) line a fair bit.  As you say, it's much quicker.  I'd like to use the train more to commute, but the distance I live from Longbridge means that I still have to get a bus too & from (plus a short walk) & homeward bound they keep putting 3 carriage trains on meaning it's standing room only.  With the arthritis in my knees I can't do standing for very long.  The last time I decided to use the train home as I was getting fed up with the long bus journeys it took me two hours - the train was 25 minutes late (amazing as they are supposed to be every 10 minutes), it was a 3 carriage train & already standing room only by the time it got to New Street.  Got the next one only to have it stop at King's Norton for ages as there were trespassers on the tracks by Northfield (turned out to be kids using the tracks as a short cut) and it took me 2 hours to get home!
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

JudithM

« Reply #201 on: November 21, 2018, 01:18:40 PM »
Judith, It all depends whether you want to run a successful business or not. Although most of us disagree with what Dr Beeching did, he was running a business and I wouldn't want someone who I had employed to run my business loose me money.
I don't think this particular line was a Dr Beeching casualty, I thought passenger travel stopped in the 1940's during the war?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #202 on: November 21, 2018, 02:16:33 PM »
I don't think this particular line was a Dr Beeching casualty, I thought passenger travel stopped in the 1940's during the war?

Judith

You are right about Moseley Station as it closed in 1941, that is what I get for making assumptions and not checking what I say first, I just assumed that it was a Beeching cut.

The other thing is that industries are nationalised for the benefit of the people, not to make a profit. If they make a profit all well and good if not it doesn't matter. It's the working classes getting some small return on all those taxes they pay. 
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #203 on: November 21, 2018, 03:36:19 PM »
The good thing about Nationalisation  was that any profit that was made went to the government.This saved having to large a tax rise.Just look at the amount of profit the Gas,Electric,Water ,Telephone make that a government could have instead of paying Shareholders.Im all for it..
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

townie

« Reply #204 on: November 21, 2018, 07:41:45 PM »

Therefor I think Birmingham City Council had something do with the closing of Moseley Station.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

JudithM

« Reply #205 on: November 22, 2018, 01:29:27 PM »

The other thing is that industries are nationalised for the benefit of the people, not to make a profit. If they make a profit all well and good if not it doesn't matter. It's the working classes getting some small return on all those taxes they pay.
Very true, and that's what Dr Beeching couldn't see.  He just had his business head on & was just motivated by profit.  He forgot about the people that would be cut off or inconvenienced by their station closures and that it was a rail service, not purely business.

He also didn't have the benefit of hindsight.  I don't think there is any way he, or any city planners for that matter, could have foreseen just how much traffic there would be on the roads these days.  Yes, they had the 'car is king' attitude, but they probably thought along the one car per household lines, and they could not have known how wide cars would get making narrow streets the congestion bottlenecks they are now.  He coudln't know that in such a short time that it would be quicker by train (or bicycle) than by car & how much pollution there would be from the cars that he saw as making train travel irrelevant.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #206 on: November 22, 2018, 01:50:33 PM »
Judith

The thing is they did know the way things were going and this is why they started widening roads and building motorways in the 50's. Possibly he though that these new roads would cope with all the extra traffic. Though in reality I don't think that Beeching cared what damage he was doing, if his Tory masters told to decimate a nationalised industry then that was what he would do. He closed one third of the rail system at that time. He should have been ashamed of himself coming from a working class background as he did knowing that a good many working class people relied on the rail system but by he was on the unheard of wage of £24,000 per year so he didn't care much at all.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #207 on: November 26, 2018, 01:06:06 PM »
Judith

The thing is they did know the way things were going and this is why they started widening roads and building motorways in the 50's. Possibly he though that these new roads would cope with all the extra traffic. Though in reality I don't think that Beeching cared what damage he was doing, if his Tory masters told to decimate a nationalised industry then that was what he would do. He closed one third of the rail system at that time. He should have been ashamed of himself coming from a working class background as he did knowing that a good many working class people relied on the rail system but by he was on the unheard of wage of £24,000 per year so he didn't care much at all.
Yes, it was a very 'elitist' attitude - that no-one would need the trains or everyone would have cars.  I think a lot of it was done with no thought at all as to how people were supposed to travel between places.

I know Moseley wasn't a Beeching closure, but many of the suburbs were - even Snow Hill was closed by Beeching & then re-built & re-opened not more than a decade later.  It's a shame that the reinstated stations - including Moselely & Kings Heath in this new proposal - in the most part are nowhere near as architecturally attractive as their forebears.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #208 on: November 26, 2018, 02:19:16 PM »
Judith,Architecture went out of the window in Bham in the late 50s.Ilove it but hate some of the Monstrositys they now call beautiful buildings .
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy