Author Topic: MOSELEY  (Read 70962 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: MOSELEY
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2009, 10:59:12 AM »
denise

A couple more postcards for your collection. I hope you haven't got these already.

Wake Green Rd c1919
Wake Green Rd, Sorrento Maternity Hospital.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

denise

« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2009, 11:03:22 AM »
Thank you so much Phil ;D

tramp

« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2009, 10:06:54 PM »
Phil,

Is that an early Midland Red in the distance, or very early BCT?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2009, 10:25:25 PM »
tramp

I couldn't say, but to hazard a guess I would say early BCT, for a definite answer you would need someone who knows a lot more about buses that I do.

For the first part of my life I couldn't afford them, so I walked nearly everywhere. Then for a little time I could afford them, but a little after that I got a car and I haven't used buses since.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2009, 10:29:37 PM »
Thanks Phil.  Unless you had accompanying info, I was not expecting you to know - there's very few alive today who would know from the photo.   It's a good one, as usual mate O0

Mary8790

« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2009, 12:38:02 AM »
Hi Phil.  Thanks for posting the picture of the Sorrento hospital.  My mom and dad met there when they both worked there during the war.

john2000

« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2009, 07:46:07 AM »
Mary8790.. I met my mom there too, mind you, I was very small then,..J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2009, 10:34:36 AM »
Denise

What did you think of the pubs in Moseley Village. I think I have said once before that I thought them to be run along the lines of what the local students wanted. I suppose in business you have to cater for the locals.

The Regents Court at the top of Park Rd tried to cater for the local gentry, and didn't want our types in there (me and my mates).

Which left us with The Prince of Wales, which itself was always half full of policemen (when did they ever do any work).

So if we were going on a pub crawl we used to pass by Moseley and continue in to Kings Heath

As nice a place as Moseley is, I don't think it was drinker friendly, of course it has probably changed a lot now, like lots of places its a case of having to.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

denise

« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2009, 10:55:51 AM »
Well Phil I loved the pubs in Moseley.Within walking distance of home never had to worry about drink driving .I have spent many happy hours in the Prince.
Moseley has such a mix of people,I must say I got to know so many people it was good fun.The pub at the crossroads used to be very good especially when it was the Hogs Head.They used to organise good entertainment,sometimes Karaoke ,that was always a laugh,they sometimes had trouble starting it off.I must admit I was always happy to start off as they would give you half a lager free.We had one summer where a lot of the staff were from Australia,young lads seeing a bit of the world,the night they left the landlord had an OZ theme night in their honour,at the end of the evening everyone sang waltzing Matilda,the lads were in tears,one of the nights that stick in the memory.I often wonder how the lads got on,probally all solicitors and accountants now LOL.
A lot of the pubs have changed hands now and have not changed for the better in my opinion.

Must say I miss the social life of Moseley but as you know we go back quite a bit. :)

pickard.r

« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2009, 11:24:10 AM »
Hi Denise

My first job when i left school was for David S. Dunnett & Sons a car Leyland dealership whose showroom was situated on the corner that was to become The Hogs Head pub you mentioned.
 The actual garage where all the pre and after sales servicing was done was situated a little further away in Louise Lorne Rd.

Bobby
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

denise

« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2009, 11:43:38 AM »
Hi Pickard r,

Yes I know it was a car showroom. :)I did not know about the servicing in Louise Lawn Road.

It is now called the Junction I think,just another trendy pub.YUK. ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy