Author Topic: MOSELEY  (Read 70937 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: MOSELEY
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 05:24:27 PM »
denise

Hmm Park Hill, I see what you mean now when you mention your "little posh nose" on another thread.

Mind you along with Chantry Rd it is still quite the little haven, but I suppose the surroundings don't help. I was down Park Rd the other day and was surprised to see that it is beginning to look a little like it used to at one time.

Here is the photo of shufflebottoms that I promised to look out, mind you I suppose your family used to send the scullery maid over there to do the shopping. ;D

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

denise

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 05:36:35 PM »
What a great photo Phil.

Naaaaaa no scullery maid,my poor old mum used to do everything for us,bless her,she is one of the best :)

I love Chantry Rd,have walked up and down it so often,summer and winter,used to love looking at the beautiful Christmas trees through the huge bay windows.

Had a chat with an estate agent in Moseley,he said he wished he had bought one himself in the seventies,so cheap as were viewed as much too large by many.

We have downsized,pointless with all the kids in homes of their own.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 02:25:15 PM »
denise

I have often mulled over in my mind, why I never bought more property in the 70's when it was going at giveaway prices. I certainly drank my way through enough money to buy a couple of houses.

The question is would I have enjoyed myself as much buying the houses. I think the answer to that would be no. I enjoyed myself whilst I was young, something we all should do.

Heres a few more photo's I have sorted out for you.

Phil.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Andy Capp

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 03:59:59 PM »
HI ALL
OUR MOM WHEN SHE WAS 14 WAS IN SERVICE AT A BIG HOUSE IN WAKE GREEN ROAD SHE HAD TO LIVE IN THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN ABOUT1922. SHE ONLY STUCK IT FOR ABOUT A YEAR SHE GOT HOMESICK, HER FAMILY LIVED IN BELL BARN ROAD AT THE TOP OF BATH PASSAGE OFF BRISTOL STREET. SHE FELT SHE'D MOVED A MILLION MILES AWAY. PEOPLE IN SERVICE HAD ALMOST FINISHED BY THEN THE FIRST WORLD WAR CHANGED ALL THAT, SHE THEN WORKED AS LIFT ATTENDANT AT MARSALL & SNELGROVES A BIG STORE IN THE CITY CENTRE FOR MANY YEARS.
ANDY CAPP

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 04:53:52 PM »
Andy

Understandably your mom felt she had moved a million miles. In those days it might have been in reality only a few miles, but in the move from a working environment to a middle class one was extreme prior to WW1. She must have felt very lonely, it was a good job she had family to return to.

I'll post one photo of Bell Barn Rd later than those times, but its a happy time VE day.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Andy Capp

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 05:44:59 PM »
HI PHIL
I THE PHOTO MORE AT THE TOP END OF BELL BARN ROAD UP TOWARDS WASIT CREGRO STREET OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT NAME. I THERE WAS A BIG STORE THERE BRADSHAWS I THINK THAT WAS THE NAME OF IT.
ANDY CAPP

Andy Capp

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 06:01:48 PM »
HI PHIL
DAD USED TELL ME THAT WHEN WAS YOUNG HIS MOM USED TO SEND HIM UP TO MOSELEY. TO A STORE UP THERE IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN SHUFFLEBOTHAMS. AT THAT TIME THERE WERE A LOT OF WELL TO DO PEOPLE IN MOSELEY. THE BACON & COOKED MEAT WERE SLICED ON A SLICING MACHINE. WHEN THE WELL TO DO PEOPLE CAME TO SHOP THEY WOULD'NT HAVE THE FIRST SLICE MEAT OFF IT WAS PUT ASIDE AT THE END OF THE DAY IT WAS SOLD OFF CHEAP THAT WHAT DAD WENT FOR HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED.
ANDY CAPP

Andy Capp

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 06:50:53 PM »
MOSELEY ROAD

denise

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 09:05:42 PM »
Andy and Phil,

I will look at the shufflebottoms building with a lot more interest.

I did not know this history.

Sad to think it was a very run down out door last time I went in.

Pretty sure anyway,must double check location next time I am over that way.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 01:34:15 PM »
denise

One of Moseley Village pre 1890 that you may not have seen before.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

denise

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 01:51:06 PM »
That is a good picture Phil.

Not many taken from that angle.

I often think of these quiet scenes when I sit in the queue for the traffic lights at that junction. :)

Again all building still standing :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy