Author Topic: Castle Bromwich airfield  (Read 94494 times)

Greengrass

Re: Castle Bromwich airfield
« Reply #209 on: April 07, 2016, 09:07:37 PM »
Hello Ian and other devotees of Castle Bromwich aerodrome. As you will remember both Mick( 322 Chester road) and I would accompany you on these salvage expeditions.
We spent hours scrambling over piles and piles of scrap Spitfires. One of our favourite finds were small aluminium fuse boxes about 2" square. They made great 'Jewel' boxes for our treasures.
I seem to remember that the yard was just off the Tyburn road over the canal bridge not far from the Cinncinati and the 'Drome ' cafe
Greengrass

MeFloody

« Reply #210 on: November 04, 2016, 05:53:23 PM »
re posting here as I seem to have started a new topic elsewhere when I meant to answer here.
I have been fascinated reading this blog. My dad; Albert (Bert) Flood worked at the aerodrome (as Chief Engineer I believe) back in the 50’s. I remember Sid Barley (the man that could get a tune out of anything), Len Bracy; old Pop Pollard, Robby who had a big open topped Bentley-type sports  and I’m sure if I asked my twin brother, he would come up with more names.  HONDA1600 you have kick off so many memories for me. I remember my dad talking about the John Netherwood accident; didn’t it have something to do with having an additional inverted carb fitted for stunt flying.
I also remember going to the Christmas parties up to the age of about ten and receiving the novelty shaped soap with our presents; presumably from the soap works across the field.  I remember the canteen was on the left hand side of the hanger and had pale green, one-piece mental seats; my dad’s office was on the field side of the hanger. Indeed I still have photos of my dad by the Queens aircraft, still having the taxying bats in his hands.   I also have the original shove-halfpenny  board from there too. We must have been a real pain to the guys working in the hanger when dad left us there and told us not to get in to mischief!  Wonderful memories for this seventy year old. Thank you one and all.

honda 1600

« Reply #211 on: December 24, 2016, 10:55:57 PM »
hi  mefloody yes I remember all the names you mentioned bugs braccy was in I/c of transport which included the crash tenders and bowsers I remember your dad well I worked on the tarmac with a chap called chris hancock at the time I started there your dad was in charge of the oxfords and ansons they were very happy days for me before I was called up for national service if you need to know any more information let me know and if I can help I will

honda 1600

« Reply #212 on: December 24, 2016, 11:28:04 PM »
hi mefloody  your comments also bring back memories  the netherwood accident was down to pilot error the other person in the aircraft was doug jones who was a member  of our works you mentioned sid barley he lived on the same estate as me at shard end and used to give me alift to work on his motorbike joe hayes was the air traffic control also we had mo holdcroft the madcap driver we all made up the crash crew and I can remember going to to the netherwood crash I still have photos of that  the good old days at c/b also the sad ones

MeFloody

« Reply #213 on: December 26, 2016, 12:07:26 PM »
The men in the MT yard use to take my brother and me for rides in the "fire" and ambulance trucks around the field  :)
I have scanned photographs of the hanger and field but sadly the files are larger than 80K so wont load >:(

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #214 on: December 26, 2016, 12:45:34 PM »
MeFloody

try this site to resize your photos it's pretty straightforward to use and it's safe, I have been using it for years.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

MeFloody

« Reply #215 on: December 26, 2016, 01:26:41 PM »
Hi Phil. My computer allows me to reduce the picture file from standard, through "small" to "smaller" but even so they are around 150K but
 much of the definition is lost at that. I'm trying to add them as an "attachment". Is that the correct way of going about loading pictures?  :) 

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #216 on: December 26, 2016, 01:32:37 PM »
  inside the hanger
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

MeFloody

« Reply #217 on: December 26, 2016, 01:38:08 PM »
Thanks for you for your picture  O0  Which hanger is this as it look far too large for the hanger next to the control tower

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #218 on: December 26, 2016, 02:24:20 PM »

one more photo ill try and add a bit of colour to this one

just a quick tad of colour
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #219 on: December 26, 2016, 02:50:09 PM »
Hi Phil. My computer allows me to reduce the picture file from standard, through "small" to "smaller" but even so they are around 150K but
 much of the definition is lost at that. I'm trying to add them as an "attachment". Is that the correct way of going about loading pictures?  :)

If you use the link that I posted it will reduce the photo to whatever size you want without losing too much definition and being too small. Or you can use a hosting site such as http://www.tinypic.com/ which will post your images without reducing them at all. Yes the correct way to upload an image is via "attachments and other options".
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy