Author Topic: Castle Bromwich airfield  (Read 94484 times)

Graham

Re: Castle Bromwich airfield
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2006, 09:03:35 PM »
Yes John, reply in Double Dutch anders zijn ze weg met mijn geheime recept voor al mijn overwinningen.Where I live 't's stomp met worsten. We are rude but some things have to be protected!

Groetjes.

John_Lerwill

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2006, 09:04:19 PM »

...I attended most Farnbourgh air shows from 1956 to 1986 and at one of them I did see 9 (yes nine!) Avro Vulcans take off together in formation. They ran down the runway three abreast in three rows. All nine lifted off simultaneously and did there best to go up vertically! The noise was out of this world (thank god) and as they rose up they were waggling from side to side because they didn't have enough airspeed to actually fly, they were just punched into the air by the power of those 36 Rolls Royce engines! ...

WHAT...!!! Yer mean they took out the Olympus engines and put RR egines in instead?!!!  ;)
We are all ONE - despite appearances!

Graham

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2006, 09:09:40 PM »
J_L, surely the Oylmpus is made by RR? http://www.answers.com/topic/rolls-royce-olympus

John_Lerwill

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2006, 09:11:39 PM »
No - Bristol Siddeley sir!

John_Lerwill

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2006, 09:13:30 PM »
J_L, surely the Oylmpus is made by RR? http://www.answers.com/topic/rolls-royce-olympus

It could be that RR now have the rights, but at the time, they were Bristol-Siddeley.

Graham

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2006, 09:22:44 PM »
Rolls-Royce Olympus

Rolls-Royce Olympus 593The Olympus is a high-powered axial-flow turbojet, originally developed at Bristol Aero Engines, later passed to Bristol Siddeley, and finally to Rolls-Royce. The original design was used as the primary powerplant for the Avro Vulcan V Bomber. It was later developed for sustained supersonic performance as part of the TSR-2 program, and when this was cancelled found itself as the main powerplant for the Concorde. The basic mechanicals are still in production for industrial and naval power.

John_Lerwill

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2006, 09:28:30 PM »
That's exactly right, Graham, but I was playing on words - so please excuse my humour.

Although technically the engines were RR by 1966, the Vulcan versions were all built by Bristol-Siddeley. RR was not involved in the development of the Vulcan's power-plant.

Graham

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2006, 09:37:08 PM »
You are quite right, you must once again excuse my failing brain, first the body now that!  :'(. I put it down to my undying love for RR engines, they are such pearls of technique, I can really drool over those engines, piston & jet, even more than for the machines they drive.

P.S. I will still never forget those 9 Vulcans taking off, making more noise than the whole fleet of Concorde. Concorde with a French "e" how could BA let that happen?

John_Lerwill

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2006, 10:09:46 PM »
No probs, Graham  :)

It's interesting that only the Valiant of the 'V' bombers originally had RR engines, although Conways were put on the Victor B2.

bostingayeit

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2006, 12:25:02 AM »
Why dont you post a seperate subject about Vulcans or aviation generally because you are way off topic from Castle Bromwich

John_Lerwill

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2006, 08:58:21 AM »
Well, the subject is Castle Bromwich Airfield, not just Castle Bromwich, Bostin, and I suppose you tend to get generic themes being generated on various threads.

You raise a reasonable point, but I'd think the subject of V-bombers is probably finished anyway.

If there is anything still to say about CB Airfield, I'd love to read it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy