Author Topic: Castle Bromwich airfield  (Read 94491 times)

Graham

Re: Castle Bromwich airfield
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2006, 09:41:48 AM »
Bostin..., you do of course have a strong and obvious point but I think that we are all grown up enough to know that the main thing is that we are communicating with each other. Creating separate threads for every single idea that we get in our heads would only clutter things up. This is an open Birmingham Forum, and not just for Brummies. That we go on a bit about our beloved Vulcans is no crime, we can't go on forever talking about the Bull Ring market in olden times or how we used play (safely) in the streets. One big forum without any threads, just chatting random would soon get into a bit of a mess, so if your not interested in a certain thread feel free to carry on with someone else on a different theme and let us fly away in our dream machines  :-*.

P.S. We would love to hear from you on any new theme, new blood would be welcome.

bostingayeit

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2006, 06:59:36 PM »
I take your point but the problem with forums is, and this is what hacks people off, is that a theme is started and then wanders onto something else and ends up with a private chat between 2 to 3 people. somebody like myself who comes in late then has to wade through stuff that has nothing to do with CB aerodrome!

The other side of it is that other people who probaly could contribute to say a Vulcan conversation know nothing about it because its under Castle Bromwich aerodrome.

bostingayeit

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2006, 07:13:53 PM »
http://www.madeinbirmingham.org/airport.htm

Bit about CB here with more to come and RAF Fradley

John_Lerwill

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2006, 07:32:02 PM »
I take your point but the problem with forums is, and this is what hacks people off, is that a theme is started and then wanders onto something else and ends up with a private chat between 2 to 3 people. somebody like myself who comes in late then has to wade through stuff that has nothing to do with CB aerodrome!

The other side of it is that other people who probaly could contribute to say a Vulcan conversation know nothing about it because its under Castle Bromwich aerodrome.

Again, you have a point, Bostin, but Vulcans were present at CB Airfield in air displays, whereas "Vulcans" would hardly be a subject for its own heading on a Birmingham forum.

In other words, I am sure the Vulcan thread came as a result of its generic link with its presence at CB Airfield. Therefore, there has not been any 'crime' committed as far as I can see.
We are all ONE - despite appearances!

bostingayeit

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2006, 12:13:32 AM »
Okay you two you've impressed me with your aviation knowledge and cycling skills for so long I've hardly been able to get a word in   ;)   What can you tell me about my favourite Plane.
The Vulcan Bomber.
I've never seen such a beautfull awe inspiring plane as that; a truly menacing bomber in every respect. Can you confirm whether it took an active part in the Falklands debacle.
 Urban myth says it helped take part in delivering SAS troops to take care of the Exocets destined for the Argys.
I once saw a trio of theses majestic rays in low level formation; it still produces a shiver thinking about them.

Thats were it started after 2-3 of you started off on a tangent on aircraft spotting at other airfields.

All great stuff and I can out spot out all of you when it comes to aircraft but start a new thread thats my advice, its better for everyone.

Tarabit

John_Lerwill

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2006, 08:56:35 AM »
I believe I was at the last Battle of Britain Air Display at CB in 1958. A real mixture of old planes (including a Spitfire) and the newer V-bombers - noisy things!

Bostin, if hair-splitting is really needed, the above was the first mention of V-bombers - which includes Vulcans!  ;)

I've already said that you have a point, but CB Airfield was bound to provoke talk about aviation in general - and there's nowhere else on this site to discuss it unless, of course, you open a subject on "Elmdon Airport", which would be bound to produce the same deviations in conversation.

Nothing is perfect about Forums -  they never will run exactly to suit everyone's tastes, I'm afraid, and I feel they would be very boring if you stuck too rigidly to some notion of rules, though I accept a Forum cannot be rule-free.   :-\

Graham

« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2006, 08:01:04 PM »
Hi all, sorry that I have been a bit quiet but had to be rushed into hospital again, just after my last posting. My ticker needed rebooting again back home now but won't be on much this week. I can't do much but sit here these days, now even that will be too much this week.

About threads, I have found that if you narrow every subject down, to say 'Vulcans' or 'spotting at Elmdon', they soon die out. So what is more important, strictly sticking to a thread or communicating with each other ???

John_Lerwill

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2006, 08:15:53 PM »
Agreed, Graham. You have to ask what the purpose of any Forum is, and surely communication is the first and foremost thing, regardless of how it's done - except that it should be clean!  ;)

bostingayeit

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2006, 10:07:31 PM »
Ok well i will leave you two to talk to each other then
Tarabit

John_Lerwill

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2006, 08:25:18 AM »
 ???  ???  ???

It's sometimes very difficult to understand people.

Graham

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2006, 11:25:41 AM »
Bostin, surely there are enough threads on this forum that you can join in with? If not create more of your own, it's that simple ;).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy