Author Topic: Castle Bromwich airfield  (Read 94326 times)

Graham

Castle Bromwich airfield
« on: September 22, 2006, 09:01:14 PM »
As a kid I can remember visiting Castle Bromwich airfield and seeing the hanger where the Spitfire aircraft were put in a jig to align the cannons set in the wings. At the end of that hanger was a block of concrete all messed up through the impact of those bullets. I am too young to remember more than that about the place, before they turned it into a building site.

I wonder if there is anyone that can remember more and has a story to tell about the old airfield. I know that half the total of Spitfires were built there during the war and you can find all that on the internet, but what I'm interested in are stories from people that have first hand stories to tell. With all the aircraft that were built there, there must have been a huge work force, some of those people must be still around to tell of their experiences. Or maybe your parents worked there and told you many a story?

Regards, Graham.

Langstraat

Re: Castle Bromwich airfield
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 09:26:10 PM »
Hi Graham
I'm far too young to remember the times you relate too, but do remember passing the Airfield regularly between home and Meriden along the Chester Road. I remember the old airplane they used to have by the gate to the Air Force married quarters and the special occasions when there was tethered Barrage balloon.
I understand that the transport of the finished planes was done by women pilots. Their job was to test the planes and deliver to replenish the lost planes. It must have been a dreadful time taking planes to the same squadrons over and over again. I also remember when they brought the Barrage balloons out again during the Cuban crisis although what good that was going to be against the H bomb was beyond me. Round about that time we were instructed how to form a fall out shelter from an internal door.
We were naive then, some of us still are.
I loved the metal Spitfires they erected on the traffic Island shame they aren't lit at night what a sight that would be.
My father worked with Barns Wallace on the Bouncing Bomb project. He worked in Livery Street and was in the ARP for the duration. He took me to see the Dam Busters film at the Clifton Cinema and proudly told me how his bouncing was the one which caused the breach in the Mouwna Dam. 
Of course I believed him them as I do today  ;)
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

Graham

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 11:04:07 PM »
I have seen the Spitfires on that roundabout and thought that they could have made a better job of it in memory of R.J. Mitchell ( http://www.rjmitchell-spitfire.co.uk/ ), all the workers and those pilots. To be honest it looks a bit cheap to me. I think that it should be more elaborate and cast in bronze, the people involved with the Spit should be given the best an praised to the skies in which they flew.

If you click on the link above then click on "Scheider trophy", click then on "Solent Sky", don't forget to have your sound on. Click on current exhibits and you will find the Supermarine S6 that I found rotting away under the pier at Southsea in the early 50's . I was only a little kid then but I realized straight away what I had found, the forerunner of the Spitfire. Thank god it has been restored and put in a place of honour.

Graham.

Langstraat

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 12:34:31 AM »
Yeah, your right about the tribute being a little light weight. I wonder whether they decided to keep it low key so as to not upset the many Germans who visit the city via the NEC. Whatever the reasons there's a splendid monument at the Lutterworth junction over the M1.

Great link in the last posting.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

Graham

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 01:08:08 AM »
Haven't seen that one at Lutterworth junction, when I'm feeling better I'll have check it out. Thanks for the info.

Graham.

Langstraat

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 11:25:44 PM »
Whoops,

Graham I got it wrong. The airplane at Lutterworth is one of Frank Whittle's prototype Meteors. Correction 'Gloster'

Graham

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 09:56:00 AM »
That's OK Langstreet, no milk spilled. Good job I didn't rush over to see it  ;D

This doesn't look like a Meteor, as I know it, if it is a prototype I maybe wrong. This ashtray I bought some three years ago at a junk sale here in Belgium, is how a Gloucester  Meteor should look.

Graham.

Langstraat

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 10:04:12 AM »
See what happens when you react quickly without checking.  :'(
Apologies for my gross incompetency.  ;D

Its a Gloster E28/39. Allegedly

john2000

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 03:42:01 PM »
maybe I'm wrong, but as I remember the meter had two engines ?? ???
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Langstraat

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 03:56:35 PM »
What; like Graham's picture? You may be right John  ;)

Graham

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 10:17:15 PM »
This is a photo from Castle Bromwich with spitfires under constrution. Anyone know anyone that worked there?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy