Author Topic: Castle Bromwich airfield  (Read 94310 times)

honda 1600

Re: Castle Bromwich airfield
« Reply #231 on: January 29, 2017, 08:01:28 PM »
many thanks keith belcher great shots of the old m/t yard birkett air services had the garages on the right hand side the airforce on the left just seeing those shots brings back such happy memories many years ago that it was its still very clear in my memory

Keith Belcher

« Reply #232 on: March 03, 2017, 07:49:02 PM »
Honda 1600
Here is another "From the air" picture of the airfield. I have arrowed I think the main reception office by the front gate. You can just see the spitfire standing guard by the gate. The other section arrowed by the main hangar is I think the MT section? Am I right?
Keith

honda 1600

« Reply #233 on: March 04, 2017, 08:45:37 PM »
yes keith your correct the  station headquarters was directly infront of the main gate and also the m/t section is as its marked from the photo I can see also air traffic control, and many more parts of the station that I remember well. I know its been many years since I worked there but seeing the photo brings it all back,thanks for putting it up,one other thing to mention from the photh the trees that are on the right hand side of the island was greenwoods they used to make jam and the trees were fruit trees some of them used to overhang the fence at the back of the m/t yard so we had a nice supply of fruit. once again many thanks for the photo. 

Honda 1600

Euan

« Reply #234 on: May 28, 2017, 08:14:49 AM »
For Honda 1600 (and any others interested), I have found some aircraft photos, taken at CB in 1956; one shows a member of Birkett's Air Services, standing in front of Chipmunk WP922.  Unfortunately, I cannot remember his name, but if Honda 1600 would care to pm me via the forum moderator with his e-mail address, I will gladly e-mail copies of the photos; the forum's 192kb limit prevents me from posting them here.
Euan MacKenzie

Mogmeister

« Reply #235 on: July 21, 2017, 04:07:12 PM »
At he beginning of this post , i put up a picture of the last Lancaster to come out of Castle Bromwich , for a long time now i have been trying to find out what happened to it , well now i have , such a shame for a noble aircraft . :(

Below is the reply that i have recieved from the RAF operational history dept .

Further to our telephone conversation and your subsequent e-mail, I have gone through the lists of Lancaster’s produced by Vickers Armstrong at Castle Bromwich and it would seem that the serial of the last one was PP792. This aircraft was transferred to 15 Maintenance Unit – RAF Wroughton, Wiltshire on 26 August 1945 from VA. Unfortunately, it was never taken on charge by a squadron and was struck off charge on 4 March 1947 when it went for scrap. Possibly its only flights were the test one and the delivery one. A lot of material, manpower, materials, effort and obvious pride etc. to be reduced to tin cans.

Mog .
[/font][/color]

Euan

« Reply #236 on: July 21, 2017, 11:47:17 PM »

Hi Keith Belcher,

Could you please post your 'from the air' photo of CB airfield, without the big white arrows; plus any others you may have.

Thanks,

Euan

RoyMcC

« Reply #237 on: December 27, 2018, 02:30:15 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6888th_Central_Postal_Directory_Battalion

An intriguing piece of Birmingham history. For three months in 1945 this all-black battalion of US WACS cleared a huge backlog of wartime mail before moving on to do likewise in France.

The 6888th left the United States on February 3, 1945, sailing on Île de France and arriving in Glasgow[2] on February 14.[6] Île de France encountered several German U-boats on the trip, forcing the ship to take evasive maneuvers.[9] Eventually, the women then took a train to Birmingham.[2] When the 6888th arrived at Birmingham, "they saw letters stacked to the ceiling of the temporary post office."[1] The temporary post office was located in converted hangars.[9] Some letters had been in the makeshift offices for as long as two years.

As the 'temporary post office' was in converted hangars I guess this was at Castle Bromwich.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #238 on: December 31, 2018, 09:45:11 PM »
1965-67 I was captain of the 3rd Sutton Coldfield Company, The Boys' Brigade football A Team, our home ground was Pype Hayes Park (pitch had a dreadful side to side slope) and we played a number of times at The Airfield (can't recall which BB company had it's ground there), which had stopped being used as an airfield and replaced by countless football pitches, they were all level but the farthest ones from the dressingrooms were hell of a walk, soon after the area became The Castle Vale Housing Estate.
Happy New Year.
Peg.

It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #239 on: January 01, 2019, 12:02:01 PM »
Peg.didnt Cas Vale come from the race track,and Chelmsly from the Airport.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Peg Monkey

« Reply #240 on: January 01, 2019, 06:37:33 PM »
Peg.didnt Cas Vale come from the race track,and Chelmsly from the Airport.
Hi Ed, I wonder if there are any residents out there able to throw further light on the subject? :-\
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

JudithM

« Reply #241 on: August 06, 2019, 01:11:48 PM »
Did you see one of the old spitfires is making a round the world flight?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49248444
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy