Author Topic: Hawley's Bakery  (Read 33583 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Hawley's Bakery
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 11:57:55 AM »
My lasting memory of Hawley's was walking up there on a Sunday night to fetch a fresh sliced loaf because we had always run out of bread on a Sunday, if you can remember back to the 50's there were very few shops that opened on a Sunday then and those that did most closed at dinner time. I always used to get told off for eating the crust an the way home.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2012, 12:12:10 PM »
I'm sure that hawleys had horse and carts in the late 40 some anyway or have i got wrong might have been coop
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

planetmalc

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2012, 02:49:49 PM »
Yes, they did, Roy.    The carts were brown.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Cabbie

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 10:30:51 AM »
Does anyone remember  Chowens   their Bakehouse was  in
Bearwood and one shop.........Another shop in Quinton down
opp the Pub, I think that had Oranges in the name.
A couple in foreign terrortory West Bromwich
I've just found this forum, and you are all asking about Hawley's Bakeries. Well I worked there until it closed in November 1977, I was a mechanic employed at the garage in Darwin St. It was a real family affair for me and my wife,who I met there ... she worked in the main offices. We have been married for 40 years. We both have very happy memories of those days and are mines of information. Is there anybody out there who remembers me or any of the 29 who worked in the garage. It was a devastating blow when ( Grand Metropolitan) closed us down, we were doing rather well in those days with 3 bakeries : B'ham, Ruislip , Rotherham, but as with all business the big players made big donations to get rid of us!
If I can help with any info then either blog on here or e mail me....
                                                                                                           Nick Evetts
Hi Nick,
I was just looking for old pics of Hawleys Vans and interested to see what you write.
I was a regular visit to the garage in Darwin Street with my cars, right until they closed - do you remember Cecil and Khan??  I also lived dead opposite the bakery on the Moseley Rd, corner of Leopold St. I have some great memories working with drivers on the rounds and the cleaning of vans when the drivers come back. Remember always having bad words with Tommy Godwin in Kyrwicks Lane as he was trying to clear us off. Did you work there (garage) long?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 10:49:33 AM »
Hi Cabbie

Welcome to you, I have these 4 very poor photos of Hawleys delivery vans if they are any use to you.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Cabbie

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 11:03:05 AM »
I've just found this forum, and you are all asking about Hawley's Bakeries. Well I worked there until it closed in November 1977, I was a mechanic employed at the garage in Darwin St. It was a real family affair for me and my wife,who I met there ... she worked in the main offices. We have been married for 40 years. We both have very happy memories of those days and are mines of information. Is there anybody out there who remembers me or any of the 29 who worked in the garage. It was a devastating blow when ( Grand Metropolitan) closed us down, we were doing rather well in those days with 3 bakeries : B'ham, Ruislip , Rotherham, but as with all business the big players made big donations to get rid of us!
If I can help with any info then either blog on here or e mail me....
                                                                                                           Nick Evetts
Hi again Nick,
I remember the main offices were called the 'counter room' my dear Mom worked in those offices for 17 yrs until closure in the late 1970's - name Betty. I remember her boss was a Beryl who they all moaned about, but I think my mom sort of admired her. I personally remember a young woman who used to dream about - Margaret Hands was her name. But then again I think she was in her middle 20's with me been a very young teenager.
regards Rob

Jan Hawley

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2012, 06:40:43 PM »
Have just come across this page, and remember some of the people who have posted.  My late husband was Mike Hawley, and yes it was a sad day indeed when Grand Met closed the bakeries.  We never really got to the bottom of the decision as the bakeries were flourishing.  Have many good memories of the old days.
Jan Hawley

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2012, 07:07:56 PM »
Hi Jan

Welcome to the forum, don't businesses often buy out the competition just to get the order books and then close them down to save on overheads?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Lorraine Hammersley

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2012, 02:44:07 PM »
Hello, My mom  (Elaine Hammersley - nee Deakin) worked at Hawley's. Loving this forum by the way!

Lorraine Hammersley

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2012, 02:59:40 PM »
Hi, mom just told me that 'Mr Michael' would give all the ladies a flower on Valentines Day! Mom worked evening there.

Jan Hawley

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2012, 04:02:29 PM »
Hi Lorraine,
I remember every Valentine's Day every lady received a flower - what job did your Mother do?
Jan Hawley

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy