Author Topic: Hawley's Bakery  (Read 33589 times)

greg taft

Re: Hawley's Bakery
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2013, 05:39:25 PM »
Thanks Phil, went to the site it worked! Herewith the proprietor of Hawleys bakeries Authur second from right and his wife Florence far left. Do not know where it was taken?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2013, 05:47:14 PM »
second bakery you mean ,it was much bigger premises on 137 mosely rd,then it was taken over by grand metropolton,then after that closed down

That's what I was asking, was the shop in the photo on Moseley Rd.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

greg taft

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2013, 06:20:52 PM »
The shop on the old photo is in Bromsgrove St no:79 Phil.

Graham Wallington

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2013, 09:43:48 PM »
I've just been reading all the coments about Hawleys Bakeries Ltd. I Started working there about 1966, my second job. I had two aunts working there at the time and they got me an interview with Eric Phillips.The then Production Manager. I was told they were looking for trainee managers.I got the job. The best job I have ever had in my hole working life. Hawleys sent me to the then Biringham of Food and Domestic Arts, in the city centre. I remember Mike Hawley and his wife Jan and Mike's Mom, really nice person. It was a really sad day when it closed. we all hung around the gate at the back, like lost sheep.No one wanting to leave. If enyone worked with me in Cake and Morning Goods Department. I would to here from them.

LisaK271

« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2014, 06:31:45 PM »
Hawleys Bakery had a branch (or it was) Highgate way. I have done a lot on Highgate History. It's all in the Old Highgateonians group on facebook.
Lisa

ironfighter

« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2014, 01:56:05 PM »
I remember Hawleys bakeries because they supplied all the shops in Balsall Heath and we passed their premises on the way to town on either the 50 or 49 Bus. Later I remember Mike Hawley having a car on the sprints and hills, was it a formula two?
My best pal worked for Prestages and told me they had the largest fleet of petrol Bedford lorries in the country and that they wouldn't have diesels due to the smell tainting their products, nice thought if it's true.

Nick Evetts

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2014, 06:49:28 PM »
I have to apologise for not returning to the forum for soooo long, but as we get older nostalgia kicks in. Regarding Mike Hawleys race car .... it was a Brabham  BT35 formula 3 ... first hill climb season it had a Brian Hart FVA 1600cc engine , for its second season it had a BDA fuel injected 1600cc engine, it was an animal, I know I worked on it with Phil Witton and it took 2 of us to start it. Mike held just about every class record with this car ( I have a black & white pic at Shelsley Walsh).
Yes I worked in the garage in Darwin St. and my wife worked in the offices and was second to Beryl Baker.
We had an enormous fleet of vehicles, mostly Bedford and during my younger days ERF's with several semi trailers.

My father started at Hawleys in 1950 the year of my birth, he went on to become Bakery manager in Rotherham.
My father-in-law was a retail supervisor .... it was a real family affair and the best place to work, so much so that although I retire in 18 months I would go back there now this minute!

I would love to hear from anyone who remembers me before its too late!         Nick Evetts

cromwell

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2014, 12:03:24 AM »
Can anyone please tell me whereabouts Hawley's garage was in Darwin Street. I thought I knew my way round there in the 40s-50s but I can't place where vehicles were maintained

Nick Evetts

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2014, 08:29:53 AM »
Hi Cromwell   Darwin Street Garage (Hawleys) is still there, it has been owned and used by Eastern Foods as a Warehouse pretty much since we closed. I have been past many times, I learned my trade there with the best in the business. If you do drive past take a look at how small the yard is ..... I used to reverse Artics in there for pre MOT cleaning.

Nick Evetts

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2014, 08:33:59 AM »
I remember Hawleys bakeries because they supplied all the shops in Balsall Heath and we passed their premises on the way to town on either the 50 or 49 Bus. Later I remember Mike Hawley having a car on the sprints and hills, was it a formula two?
My best pal worked for Prestages and told me they had the largest fleet of petrol Bedford lorries in the country and that they wouldn't have diesels due to the smell tainting their products, nice thought if it's true.
  Absolutely true about the Petrol Engines, although eventually the 330 diesel engine came in and slowly started to replace the trusty 214 petrol, from 1968 Diesels were used in the trunking operation to Watford and then to Ruislip .... during the last couple of years we even trunked bread etc to Rotherham.

cromwell

« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2014, 01:16:08 PM »
Hi Nick Thanks for your swift response to my query. I must try and take a trip to the "Old End" and see just what it looks like now, I probably walked past the site many times and never noticed things.Two of my pub haunts were down Darwin Street, the Peacock and the Roebuck.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy