Author Topic: Hawley's Bakery  (Read 33590 times)

aries44

Re: Hawley's Bakery
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2014, 03:57:15 PM »
I lived in Roshven Road in the 50s and my father used to take the Xmas turkey to Hawley's Bakery for a nominal fee and collect it when it was cooked. The oven was full of 'em.

cromwell

« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2014, 08:20:28 PM »
Hi aries44, thanks for your comments on Hawley's, I hadn't heard of the Christmas turkey being cooked there. It's amazing what crops up on this site. More power to it's elbow!!

aries44

« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2014, 12:50:11 AM »
Hi aries44, thanks for your comments on Hawley's, I hadn't heard of the Christmas turkey being cooked there. It's amazing what crops up on this site. More power to it's elbow!!
hello Cromwell, like you I am new to this forum, it's good to post something that is new. I could spend all my time on this site with all the memories. Thanks for your reply.

DesOC

« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2014, 08:45:08 AM »
I just heard of the sad passing of 'Mr Michael' Hawley through my daughter's next door neighbour (a Birmingham girl living in Swansea. Wales). I worked in the garage at the Ruislip plant in 1970. I remember the management team were Roger Williams and Mr Spencer. To show what a good employer 'Mr Michael' was I can give the following example. Often he would visit the bakery in the small hours of the morning when visiting or leaving London. Most times he would enter through the maintenance area, where on a couple of occasions I would be taking a break reading a paper. On one occasion I commented to him that he must think I was taking life easy. He replied. "If I see you sitting down I know everything is working OK. If I saw you always running around and panicking then I would be worried." How many employers had that confidence in their workforce!

Des

Margarethand

« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2014, 05:59:54 PM »
Hi again Nick,
I remember the main offices were called the 'counter room' my dear Mom worked in those offices for 17 yrs until closure in the late 1970's - name Betty. I remember her boss was a Beryl who they all moaned about, but I think my mom sort of admired her. I personally remember a young woman who used to dream about - Margaret Hands was her name. But then again I think she was in her middle 20's with me been a very young teenager.
regards Rob

Well Rob, I am flattered!!  I worked at Hawley's between 1968-1974, best years of my life. Reading about your memories has taken me right back! Margaret.

mr.steve

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2016, 02:51:34 PM »
Just found this wonderful site and it brought back memories...back in the 70's I got a saturday/holiday job with one of the delivery guys. His name was Les (I think surname was Hinks?). Our round number was 15 and we delivered to a variety of places...New Sreet Station, Fanny's Restaurant, Kardoma Cafe and a few pubs, always ending up at Brewer and Baker or Hen and Chickens en route back to base. I lived just down the road in what was then Camp Hill (much changed last time I was there).
Les had a younger brother, David, who also worked for Hawley's.
My family moved out of the area when I was about 15, and unfortunately I did not think to keep in touch with Les.
If anybody else remembers Les (he was quite a character) it would be nice to hear....

Phil Hall

« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2016, 11:23:28 PM »
HI there. I know quite a bit about Hawleys Bakery. I worked there from October 1967 until they were closed down in November 1977. And I certainly know Nick Evetts. O0

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2016, 09:31:03 AM »
hi phil

welcome to the forum      a lot of us has kids  got left over cakes to take to the flicks across the road this would be in the 1950s it was the only way we could get cake not much money about for us kids   let us know what you did and the working of the bakery I'm sure we all would love to know    roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil Hall

« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2016, 11:48:15 AM »
Hi Roy One, whomsoever you are. I worked for 10 wonderful years in the garage at Hawley's Bakeries and, in due course became a supervisor. Hawley's, for me, epitomised the perfect employer. They were fair, understanding and considerate of all their employees and took a "hands on" interest in the welfare of ALL their employees, not just a favoured few. Mike Hawley was omnipresent all over the bakery complex and always greeted employees more akin to an "equal" rather than a "boss". He was a lovely person and I had a lot of time for him. I still have a wonderful employer reference letter he wrote for me after the firm sadly closed.

With regard to the firm closing I have always felt that Birmingham City Council could have and should have done more to keep Hawley's Bakery independent. Hawley's had an incredible reputation for quality and I do recall approaches made to purchase derelict and unused "railway land" around the bakery. The popularity of Hawley's produce was so intent that the Moseley Road site could not meet the demand and looked to develop the existing site as much as was possible - which was why they wanted to purchase the "railway land". But all their efforts were thwarted and, sadly, history recalls the final outcome.

I remember with great affection the wonderful Christmas parties we used to have at Hawley's. In particular I remember those at the Edgbaston County Ground and at The Masonic Templel, Hagley Road. Those Christmas parties and all the others were not your run of the mill party, no, certainly not; they were full of glamour and mutual accord with no expenses spared AND wives and partners were invited WITHOUT them having to be paid for. Superb, absolutely superb.

I must go now because although I am semi retired - I'm 74 now and work part time at M&S Redditch - I enjoy my bowls. I play both flat green, where I am Captain of the West Midland Police Evergreen ( pensiners ) team and crown green, again with West Midlands Police.

However, I will update my former colleagues on my Hawley's experiences and my life experiences in due course but for now bowls beckons. All the best to you all.

Kind regards, Philip Hall.   

Flying

« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2018, 03:21:03 AM »
Worked at hawleys 1965 to 1975 packing cakes and rolls remember mr robinson mr smith dolly lil pankhurst etc my name was linda howell then my sisters pat and joyce worked there

Jo Blackburn (Nee Hawley)

« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2020, 04:02:35 PM »
Hello all, i am one of the daughters of Mike Hawley, who was the third generation we believe to own the Bakery. My sisters Jane and Alison and myself (JoJo) have been reading through the threads with great interest to see family who we can link up with. Our Great Grandfather Arthur Hawley who was married to Florence Williams and passed the Bakery to his son Arthur, our Grandfather who was married to Dorothy Grant. In turn it then passed to our father Michael who was married to Gillian Jeffrey. Our parents divorced and Mike married Jan and had two more daughters, Anne-Marie and Katherine. Its been lovely to read such nice comments about the Bakery, i have vivid memories as a very small child being allowed to visit the bakery on an occasional Saturday, and of the huge entrance hall of the offices!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy