Author Topic: Hawley's Bakery  (Read 33584 times)

pattyb

Re: Hawley's Bakery
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 01:31:54 PM »
Thanks for replying Phil. I was born many moons ago - 1931 to be exact. I suppose Hawley's could have extended the bakery. I have no idea when my parents moved out I'm afraid.
Do you know when it was opened or closed?
My first recollection of home is  living in St Lukes Road.
Pattyb

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 08:15:14 PM »
Hi pattyb

I'm afraid I don't know when Hawley's opened but I could find out, I think they closed sometime in the late 80's but I could check that out as well.

I suppose they were put out of business by the supermarkets. If you hadn't got a contract with one of those chains, then you were finished.

We have quite a few members on here who originate from the St Luke's area. Well around Gooch St anyway.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

daverock

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »
My Mom at Mays cafe in Tillingham St. always used Hawleys bread & cakes, The bread was a special extra long loaf twice as long as a normal one.
It used to be delivered about 6-30 & woe betide Jimmy the driver if he was late.
Mom depended on being able to serve the Navvies before they were picked up by the truck which picked them up about 7, they had to have their tea, orange pop & bacon sandwich before then so sometimes it was touch & go.
Cheers
Dave

Gee Gee

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 04:02:52 PM »
Phil,
      Your first girl friend from Oughton Road;
She was not a member of the Austin or Bailey family was she.?
And did she used to sing in the choir at the Friends Institute did she.? O0

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 05:15:44 PM »
Gee Gee

She lived in Dymoke street, I remember her full name, which for me is unusual. it must be because she was my first girlfriend, I wouldn't dream of giving out her name on here as I am too much of a gentleman for that. Well that the story that I like to put around.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

nuttytruker

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2012, 04:31:57 AM »
does anybody remember a jack hymers who worked at the bakery till he died in the 70s

maggie

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2012, 09:16:18 AM »
Does anyone remember  Chowens   their Bakehouse was  in
Bearwood and one shop.........Another shop in Quinton down
opp the Pub, I think that had Oranges in the name.
A couple in foreign terrortory West Bromwich
do unto others as you would be done by

Nick Evetts

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2012, 06:31:59 PM »
I've just found this forum, and you are all asking about Hawley's Bakeries. Well I worked there until it closed in November 1977, I was a mechanic employed at the garage in Darwin St. It was a real family affair for me and my wife,who I met there ... she worked in the main offices. We have been married for 40 years. We both have very happy memories of those days and are mines of information. Is there anybody out there who remembers me or any of the 29 who worked in the garage. It was a devastating blow when ( Grand Metropolitan) closed us down, we were doing rather well in those days with 3 bakeries : B'ham, Ruislip , Rotherham, but as with all business the big players made big donations to get rid of us!
If I can help with any info then either blog on here or e mail me....
                                                                                                           Nick Evetts

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2012, 07:01:58 PM »
hi nick
welcome to our forum i can remember Hawley's Bakeries 60 years ago i used to go on Saturday mornings and get a bag of stale cakes(6p in real money) some times they used to just give them to us kids then we would go into the flicks across the road
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

maggie

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2012, 08:45:30 PM »
Hawleys rings a bell but we had  Grants in W,Bromwich

then the Co-op when we moved to Brum

do unto others as you would be done by

Nick Evetts

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2012, 08:13:35 AM »
Hello Roy
thanks for your reply, yes the flicks over the road from Hawley's was the Alhambra. We used to walk across by the side of the picture house as a quick route back to the garage in Darwin St., usually after dropping a vehicle back to the bakery.
On another part of this forum I think, I have seen a photo of a retail van ( Bedford CA ) it looks to me as though it is parked on the old retail deck. A grand new deck was built a little further up Oughton Road, which is where I used to maintain the artic trailers as they were too big to get in the garage. Happy Days!

Nick

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy