Author Topic: Hawley's Bakery  (Read 33588 times)

cocacolakid

Re: Hawley's Bakery
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2020, 04:43:36 PM »

I remember the bakery, I lived in Balsall Heath.  However, I remember Mike Hawley more as a motor  racing driver, as I was involved with the sport.
                                                                                                   Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

NickiR

« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2020, 03:51:51 PM »
Hi, my husband and other members of his family used to work in the bakery. Dick Roberts. Does anyone remember him and his family please . His dad name was Alf and his brothers were Les, Alan and Johhny 🤔🤔🤔

Brindle

« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2020, 06:41:27 PM »
My father worked as a delivery driver for Hawleys. His name was Harry Brindle. He used to take me out on his rounds. Probably around 1956.

drjetty

« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2021, 04:18:18 PM »
This thread takes me back, I used to stay weekends at my Auntie Pauline's home back in the late 1950's. My Auntie, Uncle and 2 cousins used to rent 2 floors in a house overlooking Hawley's Bakery in Moseley Road. As a nipper I used to watch the cakes and loaves being baked then emptied of the trays. A fleet of Bread vans used to drive off along Moseley Road delivering cakes and bread to local shops. The house my Auntie lived in was quite imposing for a 5 year old and was owned by a Dr Blackham who had a surgery on the ground floor, I remember having to be quiet as we passed the waiting room to go upstairs to my Auntie's flat.     

Roger Goulden

« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2023, 05:49:58 PM »
I can remember Hawleys bread vans.  I used to "work" at Wrights butchers on Moseley road from about the age of seven!!

Scipio

« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2023, 08:55:44 PM »
I can remember Hawleys bread vans.  I used to "work" at Wrights butchers on Moseley road from about the age of seven!!

What an age to start work , although I used to help help/hinder the milkmen . Alas poor Phil one of the mod's passed unfortunately , the other contributors seem scarce nowaday's .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

wideload

« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2023, 10:35:11 AM »
Back in the 1950,s when my father and his pal were on short time working they worked casual night shifts  at Hawleys over the weekends, there was always a queue outside waiting for casual work, many didnot get a shift, hard times for some.

Seagull

« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2023, 08:36:28 AM »
I've just found this forum, and you are all asking about Hawley's Bakeries. Well I worked there until it closed in November 1977, I was a mechanic employed at the garage in Darwin St. It was a real family affair for me and my wife,who I met there ... she worked in the main offices. We have been married for 40 years. We both have very happy memories of those days and are mines of information. Is there anybody out there who remembers me or any of the 29 who worked in the garage. It was a devastating blow when ( Grand Metropolitan) closed us down, we were doing rather well in those days with 3 bakeries : B'ham, Ruislip , Rotherham, but as with all business the big players made big donations to get rid of us!
If I can help with any info then either blog on here or e mail me....
                                                                                                           Nick Evetts

Seagull

« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2023, 08:39:53 AM »
I knew Cecil and Khan that worked at the garage in Darwin Street. They worked mostly nights. I helped Derek Cheshire (round 79) on the wholesale from 13 to 18 yrs of age until his passing at a young age. He was a cracking fella. Do you remember those Nick?

Seagull

« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2023, 09:32:52 AM »
       Hi,
            My birth cerificate states I was born at 210 Moseley Rd. My mom always told me the bakery was built on my birthplace so it was good to have the address of Hawley's Bakery confirmed.this. Never thought to try and find out anything about it till I started researching my family tree.
Pattyb

We lived at 207 Moseley Road PattyB - Junc. Leopold Street, that number don't exist anymore.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2023, 09:37:57 AM »

the other contributors seem scarce nowaday's . 
im happy to let the member post to the topic  and just keep my eye on things roy the mod
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy