Author Topic: Hawley's Bakery  (Read 33585 times)

GSDGirl

Hawley's Bakery
« on: February 20, 2009, 06:57:46 PM »
Can anyone tell me where Hawley's Bakery was in Birmingham please?

Mikey

Re: Hawley's Bakery
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 07:08:50 PM »
I think Hawley's Bakery was on the Moseley Road.

Phil – you help is needed here . . .  :)
I am not young enough to know everything

Jerry

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 07:14:57 PM »
You're quite right, it was at 192 Moseley Road
Always make sure you've got a comfortable bed and a comfortable pair of shoes because you're gonna spend most of your time in one or the other

Mikey

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 07:20:13 PM »
Good one Jerry   O0
I am not young enough to know everything

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 08:23:54 PM »
Hi GSDGirl,

Welcome to the forum,  GSD? you are not an Alsatian are you?

Hawley's Bakery frontage was on Moseley Rd opposite the Alhambra picture house and next to the Friends Institute. Most of the factory was in Kyrwicks Lane. I used to make regular trips there on Sundays nights to fetch bread.

Remember when the shops used to close on Sundays, by the time I had got back to Larches St, I had eaten half of it. lovely still hot fresh bread.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jerry

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 10:13:08 PM »
On the subject of bakeries I've been trying for a long time to get info on Wimbushes Bakery in Small Heath for my website. In it's day it must have been one of the biggest in Brum but there doesn't seem to be a mention of it anywhere on the net, so if any of you good folks have any info or memories that you could share I'd really appreciate it.
Always make sure you've got a comfortable bed and a comfortable pair of shoes because you're gonna spend most of your time in one or the other

GSDGirl

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 10:25:32 PM »
Hi, Thanks everyone for input. No Phil, I'm not a dog but the very proud owner of 2 big and beautiful GSD's, one black and tan and one black, both long hair. :) My husband and I both share the hobby of obedience training our dogs and walking with them. We were both born in Birmingham but now live in south west Wales. We were talking about where we got our bread from,  when we were young,  today,  and neither of us could remember where the Hawley's bread  bakery was  - I found this site and, ipso facto, here I am.
Thanks for information on Hawley's Bakery and I am really looking forward to revisiting Birmingham through this site. :) :) :)

Maurice

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 09:02:29 PM »
Hawleys holds my record for the shortest time I ever spent in a job.
I was 18 when I worked there as a Clerk in 1968. I lasted two months.
I was located in a little side office in the main bakery, not in the plusher main offices.

The work proved to be fairly tediousbut the thing that did for me was .....Jimmy Young.
There were two older guys in the office who absolutely loved his show so I was forced to listen to it every day and quite honestly, it drove me round the bend.

I literally couldn't stand his inane chatter but when his singing slot came on, I had to head for the toilets. I think I spent most of the second month off with stress.

What's the bl**dy recipe today Jim?   

bilsat

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 06:26:18 AM »
When I was courting we used to frequent a "hot dog" stall at the bus terminus by the Valley pub. If he ran out of rolls we used to go to Hawley's for fresh stock.
Talking of Bakeries, does anyone remember "Houses Bakery" in Small Heath, as a child I would go with my father, who was a bread roundsman during the summer holidays on his round.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 09:24:32 AM »
bilsat

You are talking about the hot dog stand on the corner of Highgate Rd and Moseley Rd at the entrance to the BR goods yard. Its now a builder supply I believe.

I used to roll out of the Bellgrave opposite and head for there for a coffee and hot dog before heading home. He eventually moved from there to the corner of Stoney Lane next to the Brewers Arms.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jerry

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 09:51:55 AM »
Hi Bilsat
I rememberHouse's Bakers Muntz Street, they also had shops in Sparkhill, Alum Rock and Bordesley Green
Jerry

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy