Author Topic: Hawley's Bakery  (Read 33581 times)

bilsat

Re: Hawley's Bakery
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 06:00:01 AM »
Hi Phil47.
No the one I am on about was located at the bus terminus on the junction of Yardley Wood Rd and Haunch Lane  Billesley.
It was run by two brothers from Spain, the brother we knew was Tino, it was a good ride on our bikes to get the rolls!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 12:22:48 PM »
Sorry bilsat

I didn't catch the location, its just with the mention of Hawleys, I assumed the location of the hot dog stand to be nearby. Notice how they were all hot dog stands in those days as opposed to burger bars

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

bilsat

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 06:35:10 AM »
The hotdog stall ended it's days when the local "kids" set it on fire! nice kids around here....

Andy Capp

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 07:33:19 PM »
HI PHIL
COME ON DONT LET US DOWN WHERES THE PHOTO OF HAWLEYS BAKERY.
ANDY CAPP

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 08:11:50 PM »
Andy

As you know I always do my best to oblige, In this case I am afraid this is the best I can do.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Andy Capp

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 11:04:49 PM »
HI PHIL
THERE YOU GO. I KNEW YOU WOULD'NT FAIL ME. I KNEW YOU WOULD COME UP WITH A PHOTO OF SOME KIND. THANK YOU.
ANDY CAPP

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 09:31:14 AM »
Another little snippet, I remember about Hawleys was after years of the night shift selling bread from the factory (I have no doubt the money was pocketed)

The management must have got wind because they opened a shop at the rear of the bakery in Oughton Rd. This shop did a roaring trade selling bread, cakes and buns etc. If our family was having a party we always went there for any bakery requirements it was a big saving.

Nothing to do with Hawleys, but Oughton Rd was were I courted my first girlfriend. On the rear steps of the Friends Institute. She was that much taller than me and had to stand on a lower step.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pickard.r

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 07:47:07 PM »
Oughton Rd was were I courted my first girlfriend. On the rear steps of the Friends Institute. She was that much taller than me and had to stand on a lower step.

Phil

OOPS,A,DAISY ! :D
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
OOPS,A,DAISY ! :D

You know what they say. love (or in this case lust) will find a way. Mind you she soon found a taller chap than me. He must have been at least four foot ten inches.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pattyb

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 12:33:41 PM »
       Hi,
            My birth cerificate states I was born at 210 Moseley Rd. My mom always told me the bakery was built on my birthplace so it was good to have the address of Hawley's Bakery confirmed.this. Never thought to try and find out anything about it till I started researching my family tree.
Pattyb

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2009, 12:53:05 PM »
Hi pattyb

It seems that you mom may have gotten things slightly wrong. Here is a copy of the relevent section of the Kelly's 1950 Trade Directory. Which as you can see lists No 210 quite separate.

218 Civic Restaurant
214 Peyton Miss Mary
210 McMeakan Mrs. Ida
204 Blackham Wltr. Chas
M.B., r.h.B., n
198 Hawley's Bakeries Ltd
... here is Kyrwick's la ..

But I suppose Hawley could have swallowed it up at a later date, When did you mom move out?

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy