Author Topic: This weeks Home Work  (Read 567 times)

Langstraat

This weeks Home Work
« on: September 24, 2006, 06:44:32 PM »
What is your favourite meal and what do you do to make it special.

Many years ago my Mother used to make slab of Bread Pudding which she used to wrap in brown Paper tied with string. This was posted to my brother who was in the Navy in Singapore. I wonder what customs thought of that?

Typical Midland fare that I remember: Fagots 'n' Peas, Lardie cake from Firkins. Fresh Roe was a Midland thing many chips shops used to serve. Occasionally when passing Tamworth on the M42 I'll make a slight detour to the Duggout on the A5 to relive my youth with Fresh Roe and Chips; the only problem is they give you five shovel fulls of chips; mustn't grumble eh.
Can you remember when Fleur de lys pies came out in the 60's we used to have them delivered to our local grocers each Thursday. You had to place an order for them I wonder what ever happened to them?
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

Graham

Re: This weeks Home Work
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 08:35:06 PM »
The first thing I do, when I land in England, is to go to the chip shop and get some cod and chips with mushy peas. If I am at my sisters place in Brum I only have to walk over the Warwick road to the chip shop. At my friend's cottage in Kent I drive into Ashford and get some at the [censored]'s chip shop. Have loads of salt and vinegar!  :P Wash that down with a strong cup of tea with milk & sugar, I was christened "tea belly". I have just now made a pot of strong tea, in Belgium I buy it from a Turk in Ghent. Pay about £2 for a 1 kilo bag of real Ceylon tea called "Ceylon yaprak çay", well that's what its got on the bag. Real big dried tea leaves none of this dust that you get in tea bags. I have 10, yes 10, tea spoons to one pot.

At home, here in Belgium, I do all the cooking myself. I try to make really modern dishes in, what they call French kitchen style, but really the Belgian kitchen is better than the French. Wash it all down with French land wine, it's just as good as any chateau wine but 100 times cheaper. Sometimes I try and make Chinese food but can't get it quite right, so I cheat and go to the Chinese take-away in my village. Lucky for me it's a super good one, really traditional and that's very rare to find.

Gonna guzzle me tea down now while watching a stupid horror film in my bed. Good night.

Graham.