Author Topic: Ray Charles at Birmingham Odeon 17th May 1963  (Read 134 times)

philspil

Ray Charles at Birmingham Odeon 17th May 1963
« on: September 14, 2017, 11:04:40 AM »
Hi
Was anyone at the above Ray Charles concert in Birmingham in May 1963? There is very little information online about it and was looking for anyone who was there and better still might still have a ticket then scan in for me? The biggest Ray Charles Forum online claims the Birmingham concert never took place so it would be great to hear from anyone who was there.

Phil

• Global Moderator
Re: Ray Charles at Birmingham Odeon 17th May 1963
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 04:31:07 PM »
According to this source a concert was announced at the Odeon in Birmingham, but it doesn't say when and on the 17th of May 1963 Ray appeared at the Grand Theatre Leeds.

http://raycharlesvideomuseum.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/1963-born-sheila-raye-charles-robinson.html

You will have to scroll down the page quite a bit to find the date, I didn't look further to see if he appeared at a later date.
Make Love Not War

philspil

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 04:39:52 PM »
Yes I'm aware of Bob's website but it conflicts with my information. He says there was a Birmingham concert announced for the 16th but also says he played the Lewisham Odeon that night and in Leeds on the 17th. I know a Birmingham show took place and I'm pretty sure it was on the 17th as it was reported in The Stage, New Musical Express and Melody Maker and also EMI's Record Mail. Bob's Ray Charles blog doesn't match all the local music paper reporting here and also doesn't mention a further date he did at the DeMontford Hall Leicester on the 20th May. I've swapped messages with Bob and he is adamant no Birmingham show took place so I don't know what Bob's source of information is that he's basing that statement on, but it totally conflicts with all the reporting going on in UK through all our music papers. There is no ticket stub for the Leeds show on Bob's blog and I wouldn't expect there will be one for the 17th as all the UK music papers were reporting Ray Charles to be in Birmingham that night.

it would just be great to find someone else who was at the Birmingham show and perhaps still retains a ticket stub or local handbill/flyer.

philspil

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 02:25:49 PM »
Just went through an original May 24th edition of New Musical Express I've got which contains an interview with Ray Charles about his UK Tour that summer. It does confirm that the Birmingham concert took place, so that 100% happened just as I always knew it did. It would just be nice to confirm the exact date. The Stage says it was on May 17th - which is my belief. I think the dates and in particular the Leeds date are incorrect on the Ray Charles Video Museum blog. I've got some other archive material from my collection that I need to sift through first but hopefully I'll have some more period information soon. Would just be great to see a ticket stub too.

This clipping is from The Stage from Thursday 9th May 1963. Ray Charles Tour dates was also listed in the 16th and 30th May editions of The Stage including dates not featured on RC Video Museum Blog.

Spud

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 05:34:16 PM »
I have only just come across this thread and just reading the posts and the info therein there does seem to be some discrepancy about the date, Just doing a quick search in Google Images I came across an image of a ticket stub for a Ray Charles Concert at The Birmingham Odeon for July 17th there are also pictures of ticket stubs for Leeds Hammersmith etc all around this date
The Best Is Yet To Come

philspil

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 05:39:02 PM »
Spud, have you seen one for Leeds for May 1963 or is it from July?. Bob's blog puts Ray in Leeds on the 17th May but I've got lots of articles in all the UK music papers of the time that say he was in Birmingham on May 17th. I knew Ray was in Birmingham on either the 16th and 17th but now I've dig through some of my stuff I'm pretty sure it was the 17th.  I've also got at least one interview with him in a British paper where the Birmingham Odeon May gig is mentioned and others that list it as happening on the 17th. So it 100% happened and I believe from the period documentation I have that it occurred on the 17th. It would be good to see a Birmingham ticket stub from May and also Leeds to see if Leeds happened or not and if so on what date. I've got to sort through my own collection to find other papers I've got from then to see what else is said. Should have a few articles and maybe some reviews within a week or so once I've finished going through stuff. I'd just like to see a ticket stub and see if anyone local recalls going to the concert.