Author Topic: Small Heath  (Read 262222 times)

planetmalc

Re: Small Heath
« Reply #495 on: January 06, 2016, 02:23:53 PM »
One is of a bus being towed along the street I've no doubt back to the garage on Coventry Rd.

That's the garage yard in the background, Phil, so the bus is being towed away from the garage.     The lack of front blind makes me think that the trolleybus is on its way to the knacker's yard (Bird's, at Stratford). :'(
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

townie

« Reply #496 on: January 06, 2016, 02:29:33 PM »
Anyone know the name of the pub in the photo of Arthur Street? I can see its an M&B pub.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

planetmalc

« Reply #497 on: January 06, 2016, 02:30:36 PM »

hi malc in the 50s we did not have bright paint work shops on the cov road just had a few dull colours blue green yellows and no plastic  with names on it was just flat it was not till the mid 70s that the shops come to life stood out   now the colouring I have done is to give you some idea of how it may have looked in the 50

That bit of Golden Hillock Road is instantly recognisable, even though you've only guessed at the colours (and I'm damned if I can remember what those colours actually were).    That posh-ish car on the left might have been silver.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #498 on: January 06, 2016, 02:42:22 PM »
once again this is just a may be this  is how it may have looked at the time

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #499 on: January 06, 2016, 03:56:17 PM »
a bus with a bit of colour

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #500 on: January 07, 2016, 09:14:27 AM »
       sorry I do not  have the colour photos of small heath if I did I would have put them up the photos that I have put up was black and white and all I have done is got my box of tricks and used that to add colour no more no less the colours I have used may not be the right ones they are just in my minds eye  how I think it may have looked   roy

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #501 on: January 07, 2016, 10:17:31 AM »
smallheath bus garage on the cove road

keefie

« Reply #502 on: February 12, 2016, 10:21:10 PM »
I cannot tell you how happy I was to see the picture of Bolton Road, It is just where we lived, back of 334 Bolton Road  :)  behind the Burgess grocers, than you SO much Phil and BF for taking me back to what now seems to be a bygone age where things were less complicated, although I am sure they were not.

CaroleC, I have just joined this forum, having seen your post (quoted above). I'm the grandson of RR Burgess, grocer, and the nephew of RJ Burgess who had the drapers next door with his wife, Irene.  I remember a CaroleC, who had a brother who we called Georgie.  I would like to PM with you to find out if you are the person I remember from my youth, but it seems I cannot PM at present.

(My wife has written this because I have hurt my hand.  I'll be back to typing myself soon.  [Lisa, his wife of 38 years says hello])

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #503 on: February 12, 2016, 11:07:06 PM »
Hi Keefie

Welcome to the forum, you won't be able to use the messaging system until you have made about five posts to the forum. It's an anti spam thing to stop spammers using the messaging facility.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

keefie

« Reply #504 on: February 13, 2016, 01:43:05 PM »
Many thanks Phil. 

Geoff in Oz

« Reply #505 on: March 06, 2016, 03:00:23 AM »
Hi guys, Geoff in Oz here. I have been MIA for a little while, but happy to be back. Wondering if anyone is able to help me? For some unknown reason, I am not able to post any topics on the Forum? The pages are not displaying the 'New Topic' or 'Post' buttons at the top or bottom of the page? I have read through all the help topics without success?
Any ideas or solutions? Thanks all. G

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy