Author Topic: Small Heath  (Read 262883 times)

berniew

Re: Small Heath
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2009, 10:13:33 PM »
Hello Phil I Used to use the club in Emmerline street regularly it was an offshoot of the supporters club which was above Fosters on the Cov .I 've had some good nights in there the only downside was that the " late licence " seemed to be rescinded  on a regular basis after trouble of one kind or another Bernie

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2009, 10:23:53 PM »
berniew

I wouldn't know much about the late licence at the Blues Club, I only used it for a few weeks. As soon as my infatuation with the barmaid wore off so did my use of the club.

It was on to greener and more inviting pastures.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jerry

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2009, 10:31:51 PM »
From late doors to early doors. Did anyone ever attend the Sunday morning stag shows they used to hold occasionally in the Cricketers in Little Green Lane?
While we're at it, There's a free weekend for two in Bilston for the first one to tell me how it got to be called the Cricketers ;)
Always make sure you've got a comfortable bed and a comfortable pair of shoes because you're gonna spend most of your time in one or the other

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2009, 09:09:37 AM »
Jerry

I drank in the Cricketers often, I remember it as being a nice clean house and I often sat outside on a sunny day watching the traffic go past.

I don't have a definite answer to your question, but I would hazard a guess it has something to do with BCFC originally being a cricket club. Was the pub near or on the original cricket pitch?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

berniew

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2009, 09:23:55 PM »
Hello Jerry i never used the Cricketers much mostly match days and it was a perfectly good pub ,  don't know the answer to the question but i fear Phil is off to Bilston as i do know the Blues started life as an  "out of season "cricket team  , same training today ,old habits die hard  . Has anyone got a photo of the White Lion in Muntz Street , my sister in laws parents "kept" it around 1970  Bernie

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2009, 09:55:46 PM »
bernie

I'd rather go to Dudley, I like the zoo. Here's your photo of the White Lion Muntz St. For such a short street, it sure had a few pubs. The type of street I liked.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jerry

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2009, 10:20:40 PM »
It was a regular port of call for me, now it's a Somalian restaurant or something like that.

As regards The Cricketers you're about right Phil, The cricket team wanted something to do in the winter so they set up a football team. The rest, as they say, is history.

Can't do Dudley but if you don't fancy Bilston I can do you a last minute booking for six weeks in Upper Gornal, subject to status :D
Always make sure you've got a comfortable bed and a comfortable pair of shoes because you're gonna spend most of your time in one or the other

berniew

« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2009, 10:38:50 PM »
Tha nks for the photo Phil i used to live around the corner , Jerry do you remember John Parkin who was the gaffer around 1970 his wife was with him when they first arriced but they divorced shotly after ,her name was Molly , ,my sister in law is linda their daughter  Bernie

Jerry

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2009, 10:46:33 PM »
Bernie that was a little bit after my time, I'd moved out of Small Heath by then. I do remember they used to have a piano and a sing song on Saturday night. i suppose that was our version of Broad Street ;)

berniew

« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2009, 10:58:49 PM »
 Jerry I remember the funtion room upstairs and wonder if the BUFFS are still going ,ther were some very strange noises when they were there and some wierd paraphenalia in the room , i don't know what they were all about  the only answer i got of one of them was raising money for charity   Bernie

berniew

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2009, 11:02:18 PM »
ps bet the Somalis have found ause for those buffalo horns   Bernie

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy