Author Topic: Small Heath  (Read 262202 times)

berniew

Re: Small Heath
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2009, 11:48:32 PM »
Just remembered the woman's name who had the Lion previously Eadie I think she had a red haired son named Brian can't remember the old mans name  she did a mean cheese and onion sandwich Broad Street eat your heart out  Bernie

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2009, 10:41:08 AM »
bernie

I am a member of the ROAB (Royal Antediluvian order of Buffaloes) but I haven't visited a lodge in over 20 years, but once a Buff always a Buff. As you quite rightly say it is an organisation primarily concerned with charitable work.  I believe there are still lodges about, but with the all the closures of old style pubs with club rooms they are having a hard time finding meeting rooms. They are becoming a more open society these days and you can read all about them on their web page.

http://www.raob.org/

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2009, 11:44:44 AM »
I was just looking for something else among my photo's when I came across this photo that I didn't know I had. Ive just added it to my pub collection.

Perhaps Jerry you can tell me, did they alter the width of the pavement outside the pub. As I have a memory of it being wider with a couple of benches outside the pub. Did I imagine it?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jerry

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2009, 01:07:49 PM »
You're quite right Phil, The pavement was widened, Morrisons car park encroached on the original. There are tables and seating outside now. I went in there briefly on a cold day last year and was surprised to find a real coal fire burning in the grate!
Always make sure you've got a comfortable bed and a comfortable pair of shoes because you're gonna spend most of your time in one or the other

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2009, 01:18:14 PM »
Jerry,

What I meant was it wider in the 60 & 70's before Morrisons was built, because that when I remember the benches from. I bet the Knight Adams brothers who owned all that land in the 80's & 90's right across to Greenway St made a few bob when they sold out. Good luck to them they are a good pair of lads.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

berniew

« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2009, 09:10:28 PM »
Great photo Phil  , are you still an active member of the BUFFS because i have not seen or heard of a lodge for donkeys years and they were quite common years ago . I don't know how it works but less lodges seems to indicate smaller membership . As you rightly say fewer pubs have the meetihg rooms available now . Bernie

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2009, 09:47:55 PM »
bernie

As I said I haven't seen the inside of a lodge room in over 20 years, but I could walk into any lodge in the country tomorrow and receive the warmest welcome you would receive anywhere.

Yes I think over the last 20 years the order has been decimated. I think that as I stated the lack of suitable premises is the main cause, but I think that people are loosing the ability to give today, not that the Buffs would ever challenge anybodies pocket, but people seem to have gotten out of the habit of giving even if it be a little time or a little money.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

berniew

« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2009, 10:20:45 PM »
I hope your not entirely right Phil after all it's  "red nose day " but I agree to an extent but there are many charities duplicated for the same cause perhaps they would do better joining forces for a common goal .Bernie

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2009, 10:49:44 AM »
Bernie

Do you know I can't think of one lodge that I used to visit that remains in Birmingham for one all the pubs that hosted them are now gone. I think that even the club that they owned in Newtown has now been sold. There used to be a directory of lodges, I must find out if I can obtain one.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jerry

« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2009, 10:56:37 AM »
There's a lodge that still meets every week at Lea Hall Social Club, Which was Lea Hall British Legion Club until a couple of years ago.
They're down to about 8 members now.
Always make sure you've got a comfortable bed and a comfortable pair of shoes because you're gonna spend most of your time in one or the other

Jerry

« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2009, 11:23:32 AM »
Phil, this site may be of some help

http://www.raob.org/uklodges.htm

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy