Author Topic: Small Heath  (Read 262221 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Small Heath
« Reply #506 on: March 06, 2016, 08:39:45 AM »
Hi Geoff

Welcome back to the forum, as for your problem with the forum I can only suggest it is a problem with your device or it's browser as I see all features you mention quite clearly. Mind you, the fact that I can read your post indicates that you have found the post button, are you looking in the right place for the new topic button, which is at the top of the page of each category such as "Old Birmingham" or "Birmingham Chat".
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

RobKB

« Reply #507 on: April 12, 2016, 06:58:09 PM »
We lived in Arthur Street, Small Heath, from November 1965 to May 1967 ..... does anyone have any pictures of Arthur Street?  I believe our house was 168 Arthur Street, and is now under Sara Park.

Milesfan

« Reply #508 on: April 21, 2016, 09:44:38 AM »
May I ask a question about used car sales in Small Heath. Sorry its a bit vague but was there a used car sales on Coventry Road in 1950/51 that had Ken Miles in the name? It was on a bomb site with cars in the open and a shed for an office.  It was supposedly opposite a welfare centre and later became a petrol station. There was a police station next door. I have no idea if any of those details are correct but am hoping someone can help. Thanks, Paul

planetmalc

« Reply #509 on: April 21, 2016, 03:37:49 PM »
May I ask a question about used car sales in Small Heath. Sorry its a bit vague but was there a used car sales on Coventry Road in 1950/51 that had Ken Miles in the name? It was on a bomb site with cars in the open and a shed for an office.  It was supposedly opposite a welfare centre and later became a petrol station. There was a police station next door. I have no idea if any of those details are correct but am hoping someone can help. Thanks, Paul

The Welfare Centre was also known as the Old Dispensary and was/is situated between Langley road and Henshaw Road.     There IS a police staion pretty much opposite, but it wasn't there in 1950/51 (in those days, it was further towards town, just before you get to Greenway Street).      On the same (right-hand) side of the Cov there were car-sales spots just before the Coronet cinema (which was on the corner of Watts Road) and between Grange Road and Green Lane (pretty much opposite Chapman Road).    On the left-hand side of the Cov and heading away from town there were two places that sold cars, next-door to each other and lying between Chapman Road and Jenkins Street.     I think there may have been others on the southern corner of Whitmore Road and another one opposite the Coronet cinema.     
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #510 on: April 21, 2016, 04:32:50 PM »
Milesfan

I think we have been here before but you was looking at the other side of the road then. Well I have looked at the Directory's for the early 50's and the only business in Birmingham registered to a K Miles was an Optician and there is no Miles name at registered anything to do with the motor trade.

The car sales opposite Henshaw Rd where the Peoples Dispensary was is displayed on the attached photo and so is the service station it later became on the other one. As far as I can ascertain there was no connection with K Miles but thar doesn't mean he didn't work there because the directory doesn't give a list of workers.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #511 on: April 21, 2016, 04:37:08 PM »
Milesfan

I think we have been here before but you was looking at the other side of the road then. Well I have looked at the Directory's for the early 50's and the only business in Birmingham registered to a K Miles was an Optician and there is no Miles name at registered anything to do with the motor trade.

The car sales opposite Henshaw Rd where the Peoples Dispensary was is displayed on the attached photo and so is the service station it later became on the other one. As far as I can ascertain there was no connection with K Miles but thar doesn't mean he didn't work there because the directory doesn't give a list of workers.

Those photo's are of premises opposite Chapman Road, Phil.

planetmalc

« Reply #512 on: April 21, 2016, 04:46:59 PM »
Milesfan, do you think it's possible that Ken Miles' business was on Coventry STREET?      If situated at the Allison Street end of Coventry Street, it could be regarded as being next door to a police station (the Digbeth one).     I wouldn't know if there was ever a Welfare Centre around that area.       

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #513 on: April 21, 2016, 05:32:29 PM »

Those photo's are of premises opposite Chapman Road, Phil.

Yes looking on Google I can see you are right, but they are in the general area as depicted by Milesfan and did any other car sales convert to a service station nearby?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #514 on: April 21, 2016, 06:37:04 PM »
.....did any other car sales convert to a service station nearby?

No, the only other service station on the Cov in that part of Small Heath (the one next to the Coronet cinema) was already a service station by 1950/51.

Milesfan

« Reply #515 on: April 21, 2016, 09:40:17 PM »
Thanks for your comments Phil and Planetmalc, yes we have been here before. I was just having a last go at it. Problem is that I was told only vague details of Ken Miles employment in 50/51. Used car sales on a bombsite in Small Heath, an old friend said that he thought there were only car sales premises on Coventry Road in Small Heath and that it could have been Coronet Motors. I wish I had more to go on. A gentleman on a different forum told me he thought Ken Miles worked at a premises called Coronet Motors which was opposite the welfare centre. The police station was built next door to Coronet Motors but later on. Does this sound right? Was Coronet Motors built on  a bomb site? Thanks for your patients guys.

cmac

« Reply #516 on: May 18, 2016, 11:07:27 AM »
Does anyone have any memories or photos of St Andrews Rd. I lived there from 1943-1962 near the football ground.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy