Author Topic: Small Heath  (Read 262227 times)

countrylad

Re: Small Heath
« Reply #539 on: June 05, 2017, 04:25:19 PM »
Phil, townie

Thank you both for your responses

countrylad 

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #540 on: June 05, 2017, 06:08:43 PM »
There we have a dilemma is it the photo straight from The Gangs of Birmingham book Nechells Park Road police station or a photo from damsdeepzoom.shoothill.com. Garrison Lane police station Small Heath. Does anyone else have any ideas? Thank you.

There is no police station recorded at Garrison Lane or Garrison Street for that matter, I only went back to 1880 because it doesn't look later than that and earlier than that photography was pretty scarce. Though I has no difficulty in finding the police station at 410 Nechells Park Road.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

countrylad

« Reply #541 on: June 05, 2017, 06:41:02 PM »
Phil, thank you for following up

countrylad

townie

« Reply #542 on: June 05, 2017, 08:02:07 PM »
All I can say in my defence is i went off the caption. Obviously wrong again.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #543 on: June 05, 2017, 09:03:41 PM »
The trouble with old photos that are not tagged at the time they are taken is that researchers working for people that want to publish them sometimes do a very poor job of locating them. Once given the wrong tag it is repeated over and over again and often because of the age of the photo it replaces the genuine location.

Having collected over 40,000 photos over ten years I have come across this many times in books and on the internet it's quite surprising exactly how many times this occurs.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #544 on: June 05, 2017, 09:19:33 PM »
Phil regarding that photo. I found another on Ebay in the form of a post card which said exactly what you have Nechells Park road. As none of us were around over 100 years ago and if you've never seen the photo before which one do you believe? 

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #545 on: June 05, 2017, 09:53:33 PM »
As I said, I can find no record of a police station on Garrison Lane, so obviously common sense dictates that of the two named Nechells Green must be the favourite.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

countrylad

« Reply #546 on: June 06, 2017, 08:54:04 AM »
Phil,townie

This is a great forum for the history of Brum and for those of us that are members of the Brummie family plus any researchers. Debate on the origin of the photo is healthy.

I am wondering if there is any Birmingham police archive that we could check with or any ex coppers on the forum with an interest in police history that may be able to offer something. As you say, should a photo have been labeled incorrectly years after the event, those of us that were not around can only go on what we read.

Back in the day where would the closest police station have been to Garrison Lane that we know of?   

Countrylad   

townie

« Reply #547 on: June 06, 2017, 09:01:46 AM »
Countrylad I have Emailed Carl Chinn to see if he knows of any police station on Garrison Lane, surely there must have been a police station around there as wasn't that where the so called peaky blinders came from.

countrylad

« Reply #548 on: June 06, 2017, 09:19:10 AM »
townie, thats what I thought, it was quite a rough area back then. I have had a quick look on the City of Birmingham Police history site, but not much there in what we are looking for.

I see the police museum is at Sparkhill Police station, but not a great again to help on the web. Thanks for contacting Carl Chinn

Countrylad

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #549 on: June 06, 2017, 10:40:18 AM »
Countrylad I have Emailed Carl Chinn to see if he knows of any police station on Garrison Lane, surely there must have been a police station around there as wasn't that where the so called peaky blinders came from.

Near the Coventry Road end of Garrison Lane  there was Small Heath Police Station and at the Bordesley Green end there was Bordesley Green police station.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy