Author Topic: Small Heath  (Read 262867 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Small Heath
« on: February 21, 2009, 12:10:12 PM »
As we don't have a thread specifically on Small Heath, I thought I would start this one, for any member with memories of that area. Also so that I may post some photo's of the area  for Jerry who used to live in Grange Rd I believe.

It seems only fitting that I start with one of Grange Rd. Next we have an old one of Coventry Rd showing tornado damage (don't let them tell you its global warming is causing climate change of late) . Next is the Barrel Public House in Watery Lane. The last one is another public house, the Wellington in Muntz Street.

Jerry  if you want copies of any of the photo's that I post (before they are reduced down for this site) then you must let me know, and I will be glad to email them to you.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

oznow

Re: Small Heath
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 01:31:32 PM »
     Great photo's Phil ,   First class ,
           Thank you  O0 .   

Jerry

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 07:13:50 PM »
Anything that promotes Small Heath can only be good. I think we probably do share the same resources for many of these pics. I think I've probably already got pics of just about every pub in and around Small Heath I just haven't found time to put them all on my website yet.
I also have access to several sources of local information such as Kelly's directories and electoral registers so if anyone is looking for info let me know, either here or on my own forum which is linked to the website.
I fear there could be a lot of duplication of effort here since so much is already covered on the website and I'm always adding more. Still as I said, anything that promotes Small Heath can only be good
By the way the website isn't just for Small Heath, it's for all the surrounding areas as well

http://www.smallheathcircle.com/5.html
Always make sure you've got a comfortable bed and a comfortable pair of shoes because you're gonna spend most of your time in one or the other

jaykay

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 06:37:03 AM »
Morning everyone,
Any pics of The Avenue in Green Lane I was a barman there in the late 50's when it was run by Ken and Edna Perry.
At the time I was living in Fosbrooke Road off the Hobmoor Road.

Thanks in anticipation, John.

Jerry

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 10:17:01 AM »
Hi John, I have got a pic of the Avenues but it's too big to upload here, I'd have to crop it too much so I'll put it on my website later with some others.

You might have come across my older brother in your bar days, his name is John Daly and he's 68 now. He worked in a lot of the pubs in Small Heath in the late 50s and 60s. He worked at The Nelson, The Gunners in Green Lane, The Marquis of Lorne in Cattell Road the brighton and Wrexham on the Cov.
Ring any bells
Always make sure you've got a comfortable bed and a comfortable pair of shoes because you're gonna spend most of your time in one or the other

jaykay

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 11:07:03 AM »
Hello Jerry,
I only worked at the Avenue in that area, worked at the YEW TREE, STIRRUP CUP, YARDLEY ARMS and the NEW INNS also.
I'm the same age as your brother, but the name doesn't stir any memories.
Names I do remember from the Avenue are ,Dave Faulkner, Tommy Nash and his missus
Celia, Gil and Dennis(both barmen), and Mick and his wife Maisy who used to run the weekend cabaret.
Had a look at your site, some nice photos and memories there, used to buy all my records from Stephens the shop in Green Lane shown in one of your photos-happy days.
Kind Regards John.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 10:46:54 PM »
Hi JK

Do you mean the Stirrup Cup in Horrel Rd Sheldon, and which New Inns would that be?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jaykay

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 06:36:38 AM »
Phil, I don't know how you do it.
That's the first picture I have ever seen of the Yardley Arms, and a long time since I've seen one of the Avenue.
The Stirrup Cup is in Horrell Road, and I was there when John and Elsie Jones ran it,
The only other name I remember is Wallie, another barmanThe New Inns I am referring to is the pre-fabricated one they built to replace the New Inns just below the Swan on the
right going towards Coventry, more or less opposite the Tivoli cinema.
Geoff and Iris Tedder were running it at the time.
One memory from there was I was working one night and got chatting to these two
guys about this and that, this went on for most of the evening, come around about closing time and I'd just put the towels on-when Les Morgan who worked on the late shift came running in and breathlessly said "John, am I too late" I said no you're ok Les, and went to pull him a pint, without further ado one of the blokes whipped out a warrant card and said "serve him and I'll nick ya" as they say once a copper ...
Many thanks for the photos, you must have a fantastic collection.
John.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 09:39:14 AM »
JK

I have been collecting photo's of Birmingham for about ten years now, but I have to admit it is only in the last couple of year that my collection has increased drastically

I'm sorry but I can't locate a photo of the New Inns Yardley, I can do you Balsall Heath, Small Heath, Lozells, Handsworth, Harborne or Erdington, bur sorry no Yardley.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

ingha

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 12:31:54 PM »
Any photos of 'The Golden Cross' Erdington, Phil. My mother was head barmaid there in 1935!

denise

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 12:58:44 PM »
The yew tree has gone now,some kind of shopping centre on the site. :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy