Author Topic: Small Heath  (Read 262209 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Small Heath
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 03:57:47 PM »
denise

I thought the Yew Tree was still there, but inside the new building. If I was still drinking I would know for sure.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 04:06:54 PM »
As three out of four of my last photo's pushed at the boundaries of Small Heat a bit. Here are four more well within the boundary.

First one The Cov taken in 1952
Second one The Cov Kingston Hill. with Mitchells Paper Mill on the right.
Third one The Cov taken in 1954 near Grange Rd.
Last one The Cov near Whitmore Rd.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jerry

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 04:12:19 PM »
There is a wine bar of some sort, I've never been in it. The rest of the site is made up of a Co-op supermarket, a KFC amd a pretty good Indian restaurant.
Even the actual Yew tree itself is gone, some workmen dug it up unknowingly a few years back. I think they planted another one in it's place but it's hardly the same is it?

Jerry
Always make sure you've got a comfortable bed and a comfortable pair of shoes because you're gonna spend most of your time in one or the other

ingha

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 04:18:43 PM »
I'm not familiar with the available books with photographs of Birmingham but there has to be a place for your superb collection, Phil, in a place that is in addition to this website (and I'm glad they're on the website-Birmingham Forum).  A book and/or DVD springs to mind. Not I'm sure a new suggestion but would like to add my weight to the idea.

john2000

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 04:39:22 PM »
ingha... yes, our Phil, is one of a kind, I've even printed out all the photos he's put on the forum ( for our pleasure ), and saved them so my grand kids can see where Grand dad used to live, ....J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Jerry

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 11:50:41 PM »
Well done Phil, I've got a large collection of pics myself that I've collected over the last few years but there's a couple of shots there that I hadn't seen before. As I said before, anything that promotes memories of Small Heath can only be good and since you were kind enough to offer me access to your pics I'm gonna wait until you're not looking and nick a couple O0
Jerry
Always make sure you've got a comfortable bed and a comfortable pair of shoes because you're gonna spend most of your time in one or the other

john2000

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 08:57:19 AM »
Jerry.. you dont have a photo of Hawkes St would you, across the road from the pub,?..J2

Jerry

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 09:37:08 AM »
Hi John,
I've only got a pic of The Freeholders which is on my website.
I've never, as yet, come across pics of any of the streets except Grange Road.
I used to pal around with some people in Hawkes Streeet in the early 60s and we used to sit on the steps of the houses opposite the Freeholders but I can only remember first names. There was a girl named Pat who lived opposite the pub, she'd be about 63 now and there was a kid who's name< think, was Brian, His dad was a lorry driver and they too lived opposite the pub and in one of the terraces there was a girl named Pauline Keogh. I don't know if they ring any bells.
Lastly, theres a guy I know who lived opposite the pub in the 70s or 80s, He's a mere youngster in his mid 50s His first name is Pete but again I don't know his last name but he goes in our local club and I see him there most weeks so if you think you might know him I can get more details.
Jerry

john2000

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 12:38:52 PM »
Hi Jerry,... many thanks for the info, in the sixtes I used to go put with a blonde headed girl called Linda, she lived in one of the terras houses across from the pub,....J2.. :(

berniew

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 09:09:08 PM »
Hello all on the site of the Yew Tree there is a pub a curry house a C O OP supermarket Boots chemist a restaurant above the pub , which was closed the last time i went past ,and a K F C or Mcdonalds  Bernie

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 12:49:14 PM »
Fancy a little walk down Watery Lane. Starting at the bottom of Sandy Lane at the junction of Coventry Rd, you know where that massive bottle neck of a traffic island is.

First we pass Gallager's reclaimed materials yard next door to the Barrell public house both no longer with us.

A little futher along the cobbled road stands the garage that is still open today (unusual as that is).

Next from the corner of Little Barr St with its little cafe just out of sight on the corner we can see the Sailors Return in the distance, but a far better pub could be found up Little Barr St on the corner of Palmeston St The Malt Shovel. Like everthing else these are also all gone today.

We have now reached the end of our little stroll with the Sailors Return at the end of Watery Lane, the first part of old Watery Lane to go.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy