Author Topic: Small Heath  (Read 262229 times)

ingha

Re: Small Heath
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 04:24:36 PM »
Excellent photos of Small Heath.  Out of interest assuming you were-which district of Birmingham were you born in, Phil?

john2000

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 04:38:41 PM »
assuming you where, which district of Birmingham where you born in,?.... I think they just found him... :2funny:..J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 06:01:48 PM »
inga

I was born in Loveday Street, just after the war. I had the sense to wait until the bombs stopped falling before I made my appearance. Throughout my early life I lived in Balsall Heath, Nechells, Sparkbrook with a little interlude in Dundee, Scotland.

Like most kids of my era I spent my young years tramping around the streets of south Birmingham so I got to know those streets pretty well. We never made many forays into the northern borders of the city. So those distant places are still mostly a mystery to me.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pickard.r

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 11:55:05 AM »

Next from the corner of Little Barr St with its little cafel

Hi Phil

Would the cafe you mention on your "walk down Watery Lane" be the High Stool Cafe?

Bobby
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 12:21:52 PM »
Bobby

Do you know I have scoured my mind trying ti think of the name of this cafe and it just will not come. I remember it so well, I passed by it a thousand times. I even think I used it a time or two in the early seventies. Though I have to admit if we were in that area we used the Rover Canteen in Garrison St.

Getting back to the cafe, it was of the type that would have been called "The High Stool", because appropriately it had stools at the counter. It was built on an angle across the corner of Little Barr St, so the frontage formed a triangular shaped car park.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pickard.r

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 12:37:15 PM »
Hi Phil

Your description certainly fits with what I can remember about the cafe.
My main memories of it were in the late 60,s when a couple of us "wagged" the day off school to watch the blues training at St, Andrews & Ron Wylie the captain took pity on us ( it was a cold Friday in February ) & gave us a lift to The Highstool where to our amazement ALL the players were there drinking tea & eating toast.
I still have all the autographs I gleaned that day ( I had to use a maths exercise book ) and remember one player sending me over the road to fetch him 20 senior service before he would sign my book.

Bobby
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2009, 10:58:40 AM »
Anybody want to by a few houses in Monica rd, they seem a bargain. I wonder if any budding economist can tell us what those prices equate to today.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

oznow

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2009, 11:44:13 AM »
           Gee you've got some brilliant items Phil ...... If you went at it out on your own you would make a fortune , You come out with some great stuff ..... Thanks for that .

Oznow  :) .

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2009, 02:08:37 PM »
This is an area of Small Heath once known to the locals as Six Ways. It is the junction of Golden Hillock Rd, Wordsworth Rd. Cooksey Rd, Glover St and Waverley Rd.

I think non residents of the Small Heath area would remember it as being close to the Brum Cavern or later the Garry Owen club.

I think the location has now been renamed Poets Corner, mind you I'm not too sure about that as that may be the island on the Small Heath Highway a little further down the Golden  Hillock Rd.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2009, 02:50:09 PM »
Phil.. the photo was taken looking to the Coventry Rd, the park would be on the right side of the shops,
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2009, 03:05:09 PM »
John

Thats right just out of sight to the right of the shot is a rear entrance to Small Heath Park on the junction of Wordsworth Rd & Waverley Rd.

I remember a few years back there was a bit of a fuss about the council wanted to cull the street pigeons on that island because of the so said damage being caused to local buildings. I know some of the Asian community were up in arms about it at the time as because of their religious beliefs. I don't think some of the European and Uk citizens were too happy either.

I don't know how it ended up, but I noticed very few pigeons last time I passed that way.

Phil.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy