Author Topic: Small Heath  (Read 262232 times)

Jerry

Re: Small Heath
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2009, 10:18:17 PM »
That is indeed Poet's Corner, don't know how old the pic is but it hasn't really changed. Phil you mention the Brum Cavern becoming the Garry Owen, just a point, it was always The Garry Owen, it changed it's name to The Brum Cavern in th 60s to cash in on the Beatles scene. I remember seeing the swinging Blue Jeans there among others.
The Brum Cavern thing didn't last long and it then reverted to the Garry Owen, an apt name really because "Garry Owen" is the official war cry of the American 7th Cavalry and in later years, before the courts closed it, the American 7th Cavalry would have been about the only ones who could keep order in there! ;)
Always make sure you've got a comfortable bed and a comfortable pair of shoes because you're gonna spend most of your time in one or the other

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2009, 09:32:54 AM »
Jerry

I noticed when I drove down the Coventry Rd a few weeks back that it  looks like its been extended through to the Cov and it is now some sort of a banqueting suite. Is it that the old Garry Owen?

I liked the Garry Owen, I'm afraid I was very down market in my choice of clubs. The thing is what my crowd looked for was somewhere to continue drinking after the towels went on. So if the pub you were drinking in didn't have a stop over it was off to the nearest club.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2009, 07:00:39 PM »
Its hard to believe that just a few short years ago, that there were hundreds of houses here housing thousands of people. Where did they all go?

This is what they call the New Bridge. its been there as long as I can remember.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jerry

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2009, 09:47:21 PM »
Hi Phil, I know the banqueting hall you mean, it backs on to the Garryowen but it's seperate. While we're here I should mention that the original Garryowen is long gone, it was demolished and rebuilt some years ago. I'm not sure but I think there was a fire involved. The original was of course an Irish club and as such weekend brawls were pretty much compulsory but when they rebuilt it they turned it into a Broad street type club for the younger folks, with all the problems that went with that. The problem was that, unlike Broad Street and Digbeth, this club was slap in the middle of a residential street. The rest is history. Like you, when the pubs shut for the night we looked for anyplace that we could still get a drink. The Pink Elephant, The Doll's Club ( bring it back say I!) The Talk of the Town and the Cascade on the Stratford Road. Happy nights! - followed by some pretty unhappy mornings but hey, what's the point of being young if you can't make a fool of yourself :)
Always make sure you've got a comfortable bed and a comfortable pair of shoes because you're gonna spend most of your time in one or the other

berniew

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
Hello  Jerry i didn't realise that it was originally called the Garry Owen ,I Remember the Brum Cavern and I'm sure for a short time it was the Iron Curtain  . I thought it was originally owned by the Regans who owned the Ritz but I have often been wrong before , did you used to end up in the Raz Nur Bernie

Jerry

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2009, 10:32:12 PM »
Hi Bernie, I don't remember the Iron Curtain bit but I never used the place in later years so I wouldn't know.
I don't know the name "raz nur" but in those days we usually did chinese at the Slow Boat ( I'm ok now ;) )
The first Indian place I remember using was upstairs in Hurst Street but I couldn't tell you the name

Jerry

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2009, 10:35:27 PM »
Hi again Bernie, You mentioned the Regans which got me wondering, were these the Regans who owned the builders yard at the top of Green lane?

berniew

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2009, 11:18:28 PM »
HI jerry the Regans who owned the Ritz in Kings Heath and several other places including bingo halls in the latter years i don't know if tey are the same family as the builders. If you've survived the Slow Boat do the decent thing and pop down to Heston Blumenthals restaurant for a bowl of snail porridge just to avoid any more civilian casualties , it's obviously not a place for the inexperienced  gastronome , your experience and immune system could be vital if this upmarket version is ever to reopen Bernie

Jerry

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2009, 11:27:39 PM »
Bernie, I like it
I don't watch cookery programs but I know of which you speak!
The Slowboat was closed because of sculduggery in the scullery but that bloke would make them look like a transport caff! ::)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2009, 08:45:17 PM »
Jerry

I used all those rougher bottom end clubs you mention and some you didn't like the Golden Gloves the Gaylords, the Oxford the Boundary the Beverley Hotel and loads more. I don't know why I bothered because I could get a stopover in any of the pubs I drank in and it was cheaper.

As you say, if you can't make a fool of yourself when you are young.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

berniew

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2009, 09:14:15 PM »
Hi  Phil the worst of the bottom end clubs I think was the Talk of The Town it was a horrible place with a horrible atmosphere seems like a good idea at the time Bernie

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy