Author Topic: Days of not so old  (Read 24977 times)

denise

Re: Days of not so old
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2009, 10:47:31 AM »
You are absolutely right Phil,I had got them mixed up :)

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2009, 11:18:48 AM »
anybody remember     the brum beats i think it was a band from aston not sure
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2009, 12:01:22 PM »
Roy

Although I have a vague recollection of the name I don't remember anything they did,  but they are listed here as most of the Brummie bands are. Its a very good site for us oldies.

http://www.brumbeat.net/bandindx.htm

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2009, 12:59:57 PM »
thanks phil that band was always in the last chance cake in Aston   now if i remember right the Spencer /Davis band used to play in a pub in hill street just down from the post office (GPO) but i can not remember the name of the pub but i can see it in my minds eye  Roy

berniew

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2009, 09:46:55 PM »
I think the pub was the Eagle roy Bernie

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2009, 10:00:05 PM »
I think the pub was the Eagle roy Bernie  thanks mate i remember it now

oznow

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2009, 07:42:15 AM »
            I remember an enormous ornamental horse drinking trough out side the Aston Hippodrome in the middle of the road near the big pub that was there , At one end of It was a place like a drinking fountain where you could get a drink , It had a pewter mug on a chain to drink from .
In the days before hygiene was invented .

Oznow  :) .

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2009, 10:26:31 AM »
Roy

Can't say I ever remember the group playing at the Golden Eagle, which I always remember being full of post office workers and students. Especially around Christmas. I think I saw Spencer once doing a solo gig on guitar. I thought "keep on running " & "somebody help me were" quite good, but nothing fantastic it was propably that its was the novelty of them being a Birmingham group that got them into the charts.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

oznow

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2009, 11:33:49 AM »
 Roy ,            Stevie Wynwood (Spencer Davies Group only the name of the band) came from Gt: Barr and use to Jam up stares at the Crown cnr: Station St / Hill St: .   

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2009, 11:23:42 AM »
Hi Roy

A little of Spencer Davis's history prior to forming the Spencer Davis group was he was born in Swansea in 1941 (a Taff not a brummy) he went to Birmingham University and after became a teacher at Whittington Oval Junior School Yardley.

Before forming the group he was in a Duo with Christine Perfect later of Chicken Shack fame he also did a lot of solo guitar performances (The Golden Eagle).

It was after this that he joined with Stevie Winwood & and his brother Muff and Pete York and were first known as the Rhythm & Blues Quartette. The rest as the saying goes is history.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

CHRIS 2

« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »
My cousin Brian Allen started the R & B Club at the Golden Eagle. And it was there that Steve Winwood got together with Spencer Davis. And funnily enough Steve Winwood contacted me last year through a third party, regarding the days of the Golden Eagle. He sent me back a signed photo and also sent my cousin Val (sister of Brian) a copy of her membership card signed.

Annie

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy