Author Topic: Days of not so old  (Read 24892 times)

sheldonboy

Re: Days of not so old
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2009, 10:02:48 PM »
Hi ernst
Welcome to the Forum and our family.  I met Christine Perfect at Mothers our club in High Street Erdington, when she sang with Chicken Shack. Then she married John McVie of Fleetwood Mac and of course went on to join them later. If you enter her name into Google and open Wikipedia there is a good history of her. When she appeared at Mothers with C/Shack she walked off stage because she said the piano was out of tune (moody sod). Chicken Shack went on to do a great set without her.
                                        Hope you stay with us ernst   Sheldonboy
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

astrablue

« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2009, 10:07:20 PM »
hello guys !
thanks for the blast from the past really enjoyed reading it.
does anyone remember the garden on the top of lewis,s
and victor sylvesters dance studio down the back of the odeon in new street?
I am one
but im only one
cant do everything
but can do something
i do what i can do
and what i can do
i ought to do !

sheldonboy

« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2009, 10:32:59 PM »
Hi Astra Babe

Fraid not, but I do remember Lewis's Great toy floor.   O0

tramp

« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2009, 10:52:24 PM »
Hi astra,

I mentioned Christine Perfect on another thread a while back, and probably like a few others asked her if she was 'perfect' - I didn't get a slap - and she went on to say that if she married and ever got divorced she'd keep her exhusband's name, and she is still Chrissie McVie.. she also said that she felt a brummie but said that she'd been born up in Lancs.   I didn't meet her in brum, it was after I'd left, and before she made a big name for herself.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2009, 11:13:38 PM »
Hi Astrablue

I remember Lewis's roof garden and swings and slides that they had up there and the miniature zoo. I used to visit all the time especially to play on the swings right up until I was about 45.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

denise

« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2009, 12:41:18 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

sheldonboy

« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2009, 05:10:52 AM »
Phil mate I hate to be personal, but considering how long ago Lewis's closed down. That makes you about 110 ?

Steve

« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2009, 12:27:32 PM »
Phil's still a little kid at heart, ain't we all really?        Steve
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2009, 12:42:42 PM »
SB

I feel really insulted, I'm only 109.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2009, 12:45:44 PM »
SB

They in fact closed the roof gardens down a long time before the store closed. Sometime before the 60's I would say. I sat on the stairs and cried all day.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2009, 02:44:55 PM »
I went on the roof to ''have a look from over 100 ft'' as they said Lewis's was over 100 ft high......it was great, really was, I can still remember looking over Greys, the cathedral and Snow Hill Stn....I know I must've had no money (normal) as I'd walked to town (normal) and a bloke came along moaning as I was obviously on my own ( been there about 10 mins - just looking) and wanted to know who I was, and started to lead me off, so on the stairs I galloped down and lost him.....then it rained in the way home...still, I've got an enduring memory of the view.   I can't properly remember the roof gardens etc as I was only interested in the ''100 ft high'' bit. I was still at primary school and I wrote about it in a ''composition'' before the last 2 years at Clifton Rd, as Mrs Philips wasn't the teacher, it was Manders or White.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy