Author Topic: Days of not so old  (Read 24894 times)

denise

Re: Days of not so old
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 01:28:45 PM »
Oldgoose,my era exactly ;D

Can remember sitting in the garden in summer listening to sing something simple.

Do you remember Friday night is music night?

The baker come once a week,great treat.

I remember all those things.Thanks for that :)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 01:33:59 PM »
The trouble with you "young uns", you led a life of luxury and ease :o

Phil ;)
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 01:46:11 PM »
milkman with horse n cart

gold fish for rags rag and bone man

two way family favorites on the radio

take it from hear

Friday night is music night

Ted ray
 billy cottons band show
 life with the lions

and do you remember this     this is the BBC light program a spokesman for buckingham palice has announced that the king Passed away during the early hours of this morning
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

denise

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 02:35:21 PM »
Yes,can remember the rag and bone man,with his horse.We have one come round here,he blows a trumpet I think,wants metal,no rags or bones.Always a bit disappointed he has no horse,he is in a van ;D

Jimmy clitheroe sunday lunch.

It was a good time to grow up,not long after the war but no more rations and the hardships our parents had to deal with.

I could weep when I think of my mothers wartime childhood and the hardships she had to undergo.

She was evacuated and had an awful time.Maybe we should have a thread for those memories.

oldgoose

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 12:25:59 PM »
I'm loving these little memory snippets. Unlike your poor Mum Denise, my Mum was a little older in the war and worked in a factory 'wiping paint off airoplane wheels' as she always put it. she did tell me about the air raids though, and having to spend hours in the shelter in the garden.

However - back to our memories.

Prefabs - 2 of my aunties lived in them
'Twink' home perms
'workers playtime' on the radio
Dansette record players - you could stack up your singles and they would drop down one at a time
Always getting a tin of toffees and a box of hankies in your Christmas stocking
My favourite TV shows were 'Bootsie and Snudge' and 'Sunday Night at the London Palladium' with 'Beat the Clock'
Those hats little girls wore that had a hair band sewed inside them and a tassle at the crown
Frys 5 boys chocolate
Huge fridges that looked American

More more more.....I like this

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 12:36:59 PM »
Hi oldgoose

Which prefabs did your aunts live in, here a photo of the ones in Hall Green. The only ones that still remain today.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 12:48:48 PM »
Did anybody ever have a portable Dansette record player. One that worked by battery. I had one in the mid 60's it was great fun, I used to take it down the park on a hot summers day and before you knew it we had an open air disco going before the word disco had been invented. I suppose we would have called it a "Rave" in those days.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

denise

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 12:57:13 PM »
Well how strange,I had two aunts who lived in a prefab.I think it was tile cross.
Very nice it was too.

Even odder is the fact that I have a close friend who still lives in one of those prefabs on the wake Green Rd.It is really cosy and not that small inside,more room than you would think.

Detached property rented from the council,got to be good ;D

Every year I had Bunty.I loved the cut out doll and clothes on the back of the comic,had a big box of them in the end.Spent hours dressing them up.The book at Christmas was a real bonus.I loved the four Marys and toots.

Box of chocs with a pretty picture on the lid.

I had a dansette type player,The needle kept jumping so I had to put a small weight on top of the arm to keep it down.

Hughie Green

Man from uncle......sent off for my membership card.

oldgoose

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 01:14:30 PM »
Being a Yardley gal through and through, my Aunties both lived in prefabs in Yardley. Both had those concrete walls, not like the one in the pic. One was in Queens road, with the park virtually at the bottom of the garden, and the other one was near the Journeys End pub. The whole estate was demolished and houses built there instead.

My Dansette player wasn't battery operated - bet you had to have massive batteries in it! I did have a battery operated transistor radio though, I used to listen to Radio Caroline on it.
My Mum used to buy a booklet every couple of weeks with all the words to the latest records in them -can't remember what it was called.
She loved the twinkling teeth of Russ Conway when he played his piano on the Billy Cotton Bandshow
Suddenly everyone was being 'knocked through' and having their two downstairs rooms knocked into one big one - we thought we were SO posh when we had ours done
Collecting the free plastic flowers that came with washing powder
Going to the cinema and being able to sit and watch the film through as many times as you wanted to
Watching the boring 'b' films that accompanied the big film, or maybe a documentary type thing about the amazon or something.
Any more not so old  memories out there??

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 02:11:03 PM »
moms meeting there hubby's out side the factory on pay day

getting paid each week and not in the bank

pack a job in in the morning have a new one by the afternoon

collecting robinsons gollies badges
toys out of cornflakes boxes
school milk
the nits nurse

the school board man on his bike