Author Topic: Days of not so old  (Read 24888 times)

oldgoose

Re: Days of not so old
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 03:59:19 PM »
Those kids songs ...

The runaway train
The laughing policeman
I know an old lady

All used to be played on Uncle Mac's radio show on a Saturday morning

On  childrens TV there used to be Popeye
Vision On with Pat Keysell
Rubovia (with the ugliest puppets you ever saw)
Tinga and Tucka
and does anyone remember Topo Gigio?

oznow

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2009, 08:06:18 AM »
     What about half day Wednesday .... shops would close at 1 00 p m ,

In the Billy Cotton Band Show He use to have a segment where he would pretend to talk with a man in outer space (who's that man out there ?) and I use to think  the man really  was in outer space....

I'd forgotten all about ....The Billy Cotton Band show and Beat the Clock until Oldgoose  mentioned them , I also remember .... People giving a box of 50 cigarettes  at Christmas ,

Torchie the battery boy (I must admit He use to scare me)
          Radio Luxembourg ,
          Rag Tag and Bobtail ,
          Mary Mungo and Midge ,
    The Wrigley's chewing gum machine .... when the arrow was pointing towards you It gave out two packets .
          Lunch Box with Noel Gordon ...... Jerry Allen and the Boys ,
          Take Your Pick .... with the Yes and No interlude .... Michael Miles ,
          Cool for Cats .... Kent Walthem ,

The Pre fabs .... Can anyone please tell me if they are constructed out of Asbestos ? If they are that would account for why they are still standing ..... May be ?

Oznow  O0 .   

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2009, 09:30:40 AM »
oznow yes they are asbestos and cement mix roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

oznow

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 09:36:20 AM »
               Cheers Roy Thank you  O0 .

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 09:51:44 AM »
 does any body remember the 65  special
and ready steady go

on TV we had Muffin the mule
 drag net
sing something simple
hand [censored] half hour
 and then that Arther asky
the army game
 and if your radio had v.h.f you could pick up the police
12" TVs BBC only black and white then the box that you needed to get ATV
 and most of all the winter of 1962 or three long cold hard winter steam trains that the snow did not stop
20 foot snow drifts farms cut off

oldgoose

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 01:16:57 PM »
Six Five special was on Saturday teatime - Dad would come back from 'The Villa' with his pink Sports Argus under his arm.
Then Ready Steady Go - remember 'Oill give it foive?'

There were no shops open on Sundays, except the newsagents until lunchtime
On the buses there were conductors or conductoresses and you sat in your seat holding out your fare until he or she came to collect it and  very few people tried to get away with not paying.
In Woolworths you could buy broken biscuits and all the counters were in a kind of oval shape with the assistants in the  middle and you held out your purchase until they took your money
I remember that very cold winter. Our pipes burst and we couldn;t find a plumber, it was 8 at night and we didn;t have a phone.
Talking of phones - remember press button a and b?

oznow

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2009, 01:27:59 PM »
                  Even in the olden days people seemed to have  complained about Plumbers  :P .

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2009, 01:34:30 PM »
oldgoose yes i do four old Penny's in the slot pressA OR b B GOT YOU YOUR MONEY BACK when we was kids we would stuff paper up the return shoot and then go to the phone box when it was dark and pull the paper out and if we was lucky we would have a few copper
 in them days you could buy one fag for two pence or 5 for 9 pence woodbine's in 5s come in a paper pack
 chips was two pence a go and fish was between 4 p and 6 p depending how big it was
the only soft ice you could get was from a shop in ladypool road that just sold icecream
 most icecream was in hard blocks walls and midland county's
the Birmingham mail was 2p and it was so big you could not hold it open when you was a kid
petrol was 1/6 a gall coal was 2/6 a bag if you could get it in winter
bread was 7 p a loaf
milk was was about the same
and a good wage was £5 aweek for six days

Mikey

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2009, 03:24:55 PM »
Six Five special was on Saturday teatime - Dad would come back from 'The Villa' with his pink Sports Argus under his arm.
Then Ready Steady Go - remember 'Oill give it foive?'

There were no shops open on Sundays, except the newsagents until lunchtime
On the buses there were conductors or conductoresses and you sat in your seat holding out your fare until he or she came to collect it and  very few people tried to get away with not paying.
In Woolworths you could buy broken biscuits and all the counters were in a kind of oval shape with the assistants in the  middle and you held out your purchase until they took your money
I remember that very cold winter. Our pipes burst and we couldn;t find a plumber, it was 8 at night and we didn;t have a phone.
Talking of phones - remember press button a and b?

Ah yes, the Six Five Special and Janice (from Wolverhampton I think).  Are you sure that you're not my sister oldgoose? Our Dad did exactly what you describe right down to the Argus. Those newsagents opened only on Sunday morning so folks could get their ration of scandal from the New of the World or The People – worst day of the week for us paperboys, the Sunday papers were so big and heavy we had to go back to the shop three or four times to load up again. No fun during the winter!

That 1962 winter was a bad 'un. I seem to remember that it started snowing on Boxing Day and it was so cold that the snow froze overnight, then it snowed again and again for over a week, one frozen layer on top of the other until we had a foot of solid ice. It was March before we started to have a thaw. Makes me cringe now to imagine it.

:)
I am not young enough to know everything

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2009, 04:05:13 PM »
Mikey

Janice (from Wolverhampton) as you think was from Wednesbury and is much to blame for the rest of the world thinking the people of Birmingham speak with a black country accent. I never fancied her much, I think she looked weird. Like that horrible Cathy Mc Gowan from the RSG show.

Here's a photo taken on the six five special back in the 60's. I did a quiz on the history forum with this photo to see how many of the acts were recognisable today. It was found to be hard going, but 90% were named within a few days.

Have a go for fun, I'm not asking anybody for answers just see how many you can get.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

oldgoose

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2009, 04:33:51 PM »
Mikey - I always wanted a brother !!! (if you are my brother then my Mum would have had some explaining to do !!)

we didn't read News of the World but we did read 'Titbits' and 'reveille' - remember those?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy