Author Topic: Milk Street old flats  (Read 33736 times)

bobby29647

Re: Milk Street old flats
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2011, 11:08:05 AM »
hello everyone interested in milk st,
I am a newbie on this site but can answer many of the questions asked as i was born at 32 milk st on 29 june 1947 . my gran and cousin also lived in milk st at number 38 the flat above nance o'hares shop.In fact I think the photo showing the st and ohares also shows my gran and my younger cousin brian green standing on the balcony but cant make it out for sure.My aunt Lily green also lived in the back yard with all her kids .These included brenda maureen, beryl  who only had one leg due to an accident with a bus in digbeth high st,peter and finaly Ralph who everyone called grump.
Oh my grans name was Mary Green and my Grandad was Fred Green. thier kids where Bill,mary,lily and my mom Rose.My other cousins who lived at 32 were Barry and Brian Green.
The pub you were trying to remember was the royal oak as you said its now a cafe.the ice cream maker lived and worked from a premises in Trent st they were Italians there name was greigo's not sure of the spelling.and lovely stuff it was to remember they used to sell blue green ice lols a penny each.
The glue factory was next to the Oak or nearly next to it they also made buttons.further up the street on the other side was a coal yard.In little anne st you had Quinnys fruit and veg shop he also took a barrow up the bull ring.A couple of other local charecters were Mrs Cotteral the cat woman. Jackie Frogget who came around with the argus an bluemail saturday nightsand old Peter who used to chop pallets up and go around brum selling bundles of fire wood.Jackie also sold the spatch a mail as it sounded outside the lush furniture shop up the bull ring.If you look at he photo of milk st  just under th arches on the right there was a Kelseys pub called the Malt shovel.My old man had a pint or two in there.I believe they called it billys in the 80s and the owner of it then was benny from crossroads.well thats what i was told.Does anyone remember Daisy Dugdales chip shop in the high st also the home made Rock shop on the corner of floodgate st and high st.Also for the lady from the states i can remember about stirchley kings norton as we moved there from milk st and the states to I travled al through the mid west from texas to lake superior minn in the north.the Gentleman who wants to know what the flat were like inside  feel free to e mail me
Bob griffiths

pickard.r

« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2011, 08:37:56 AM »
Hi Bobby29647
Welcome to the forum...My parents Dolly & Len Pickard lived in Milk Street along with my elder brothers Leonard & Terry...They moved to Kings Heath in 1955 ( I was born in 56 ) The name Cotteral rang a bell with me straight away & if I remember rightly she visited Mom on several occasions when I was little.I seem to remember that our first family pet ( a black cat ) came from one of her litters but I may be wrong.

Bobby
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2011, 12:14:38 PM »
hi i had a girl friend that lived in the flats milk street about 19 57 ( Sandra oday )
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

bobby29647

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2011, 12:50:01 PM »
Hello all,
           I was 5 when we moved to kings norton so I dont remember sandra oday or the pickard boys but will ask my cousin he may well know them .He didn't leave milk st untill he was about 11.Other names thet have come to mind are joan ballard,kay madden, the kellys and a boy named harper in rea terrace,and mrs cooper in  a house in the back yard off little anne st,she had a grandson named Robert crocket used to visit her.
              bob griffiths

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2011, 05:16:17 PM »
Also for the lady from the states i can remember about stirchley

That must be me! Hi Bobby, welcome to the forum!

bobby29647

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2011, 11:10:08 PM »
hi anne,
           Which  part of stirchley did you come from.I lived on rednal rd kings norton but knew stirchley well i.e.the cafes the pavilion &Savoy cinemas and there was a dance down there in the early 60s  cant remember the name of it.Did you frequent the Ritz in york rd Kings heath.
                                            bob griffiths

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2011, 11:17:23 PM »
Bobby, I did occasionally frequent the Ritz in Kings Heath, but, let's be honest here, it was a dump.

We owned a house at the top of the Fordrough (past the rubber mill). We lived on top of the hill next to Newlands Park. Actually we were rather closer to the Kings Heath border on Vicarage Road (Pineapple Bridge), but I did go to grade school in Stirchley. After grade school, I went to Swanshurst Grammar. Jacqueline, who also posts here, grew up very close to me and attended grade school with one of my younger siblings.

bobby29647

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2011, 12:12:53 PM »
hi roy ben asked my cousin jf he recognised your ex G F name ,he said to ask you if she was an italian woman.
            bob griffiths

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2011, 12:45:25 PM »
ho bob
          i think her dad was from Ireland not sure she was just a friend but i think her mom was Greek  he worked across the road at g.k.n
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

lolly

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2011, 04:39:07 PM »
a very late reply but the flats in milk st were built in 1898 i think . they were experimental flats , once inside there was a lounge come living eating room no toilet, 2 bedrooms and a space looking over the yard with a cooker in it . they were tiny especially the place were the old gas cooker was . you had to go into the court yard which was for everyone in the flats down some conrete steps to go to the loo and hang your washing . my aunty lived in them till about 1960 , when she was moved to a new house in harborne.

eC20Archaeology

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2011, 07:11:42 PM »
That's great info. - thanks Lolly. Very interesting  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy