Author Topic: Milk Street old flats  (Read 33738 times)

berniew

Re: Milk Street old flats
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2009, 11:53:31 PM »
Hello Phil sorry I haven't been around lately ,but that certainly looks like the pub I was asking about looks like you've solved it ,thanks .Do you remember the old either Tannery or glue factory in Fazeley Street the smell was awful Bernie

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2009, 11:34:04 AM »
Hi Bernie

Don't worry this place is not a duty where you have to clock on or report to the headmaster.

I can't say I do remember the glue factory in Fazeley St; it was not a street that I had much cause to use in my youth. All the streets I remember were either on the way to or from some where I had to get to.

The only smells I associate with the Bordesley area are tea in Bordesley St, Vinegar in Glover St and the stench of the Refuse Department in Montague St.

It’s funny but years later every time I visited a tip in one of our Lorries as soon as I got a whiff of that aroma I was reminded of Montague St.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

lily

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2009, 07:51:19 PM »
i remember the ice cream people facing the flats .iwent to st michaels schoolend of the fifties . also typhoo tea factory where we played dinner time

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2009, 07:55:02 PM »
Hi Lily

Sorry I missed you hiding away here, welcome to the forum. Bernie might be on later he hails from your area, as you can see from his posts. You might have something to chin wag about.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

berniew

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2009, 08:51:20 PM »
Hello Lily  my nan used to live at 44 Milk Street almost opposite Ohares shop, there was one entrance to the yard in Milk Street and another in Bordesley Street . My dads name was Bill Wright and he had ten brothers and sisters  ,but it sounds like you may be more my age , I am 60 .I Remember some things from around digbeth but I lived in Small Heath. How old do you recon those flats were , they look the oldest custom built flats I can remember Bernie

eC20Archaeology

Milk Street flats
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2011, 06:29:46 PM »
Hi all,

As this topic hasn't been active for a long time, on advice, I'm reviving this as a new topic.

I'm doing some research on the area - not a local myself, but my great-grandmother (Thirza Dalton) lived around here - way before your time!

I'd really like to know what the flats were like inside - how many rooms they had, how people lived in them etc., especially in the 1920s and 30s - so if anyone call tell me anything, I'd be interested. Does anyone happen to know when they were built (or became flats?)

Cheers!

eC20Archaeology

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2011, 06:37:50 PM »
PS Berniew, I've just re-read your posts - my g-gran lived at no. 42 - next door to where your nan (later?) lived!

Small world  :)

I can't work out if this was one of the flats...probably not

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2011, 07:45:03 PM »
I only ever had a sos & tom

Phil, what you on about?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2011, 08:44:21 PM »
Anne

Surely you haven't forgot a sos & tom is short for a sausage & Tomato sandwich, but there again you only get frankfurters in the US don't you. Don't you ever long for a good English banger?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2011, 09:44:50 PM »
Phil, I have never heard of a sausage and tomato sandwich in my life!

I don't long for bangers because I do not eat meat.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2011, 10:35:59 PM »
Anne,

I find that very strange, its one up on the BLT that the Yanks seem to love. The difference here being the tomato's are cooked.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy