Author Topic: crime  (Read 3321 times)

kadoodey

crime
« on: October 02, 2006, 11:05:21 PM »
not lived in brum for over 25 years,what is the crime rate like now??are there any new type of crimes going on? ???

Jacqueline

Re: crime
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 12:02:24 AM »
I guess the new crime must be happy slapping. Although not so happy for the victim.

john2000

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 07:15:22 AM »
Naa, SSDD
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

kadoodey

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 11:18:19 AM »
happy slapping, ssdd???what on earth is all that about?i am really out of touch with all this new type of crime.when i lived there it was mainly car theft, house burglaries.
i was told that nearly every day there are stabbings,surely this is not true?

Jacqueline

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 10:03:39 PM »
Happy slapping is the new style assault where someone gets a kicking while being filmed on a mobile phone.

Sick eh. Often the victim is entirely random.

Graham

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 10:10:11 PM »
Hi Jacqueline, yes it has even blown over here to Belgium from the States. The first case cropped up here last week, all those on the clip have been suspended from school and those that were responsible for starting the fight, so that they could film it, will be brought before the courts and charged. If that doesn't make em think twice then I don't know what will.

Graham.

Jacqueline

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 11:40:52 PM »
What part of Belgium are you? I have visited there twice many years back and stayed in Ostend. Found Brussles to be a fantastic shopping centre and Bruge very pretty.
Was 18 on my second visit and impressed that people under 21 were paid the same or similar wage as adults. Is that still the case?

Graham

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 12:06:38 AM »
Hi Jacqueline, I live in northen Flanders, above Ghent near the Dutch border. My daughter lived on the border when she first got married, her front door was in Belgium and her back door was in Holland. She had to go to Holland when she needed the loo or take a bath!

We are 40 miles from Ostend, about 25 miles from Brugge, 40 miles from Brussels, 30 to Antwerp, 10 to Ghent, 120 from Amsterdam and 160 miles from Paris, so good central location. Ghent is the best town in Belgium, like brugge but bigger and not so touristy. We have a 18 hole golf course and yacht haven on our doorstep, just over the border there is another fantastic golf course and airstrip in the middle of it, for gliders.

Wonderful food in Belgium, better even than the French. I cook a lot myself and can get lovely fresh meat and veg, very few young Belgians are over weight as in the USA and UK.

Yes people under 21 get a full wage, none of that silly poverty wage like in England when you leave school. At the moment early retirement can be taken at 55 years old, and many do! I stopped working at 58 because I felt too young to stop at 55. Most Belgians are home owners as the price of property is very low, but going up quickly now. I had "Homes Worldwide" here to interview me earlier in the year because of the cheap good living here.

Just to stay on this theme, crime rate is very very low here.

There I'm going on again. Love, Graham.

Jacqueline

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 10:30:12 PM »
Sorry for going off topic but WOW. I was impressed with Belgium when i visited and found it very clean.

My first visit was at the age of seven. That would have been 1962. We were at the Westminster Hotel in Ostend. When i visited again at age 18 i took a look at the hotel. Gosh it looked real posh and huge. Second visit was for the beer festival. I still remember the cost £25 for a five day touring break. Seemed cheap even then.

After my first holiday there i got so much stick at school. Most kids never went on hols in the 60's let alone another country. Got a black eye from the school bully. ::)

Graham

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 11:09:46 PM »
My first visit to Belgium was in 1963 at the age of 19, I was picked to ride for Britain in the cycling world championships. On the return journey, heading for Ostend and the boat home, the train stopped in Ghent. I had the urge to get off the train there and then, but I had no money and only a lightweight racing bike that wouldn't have lasted another day on the Belgian cobbles.

In 1967 I moved to Holland and became world champion, this was on the first Saturday in September, two days later on the Monday I had moved to a village near Ghent. As you say not many people went on holiday in the 60's, certainly not abroad. So I had that holiday feeling when I arrived abroad, funny thing is I still have that feeling, I feel that as if I have been on holiday since 1967! Wonderful feeling, you should try it. Best thing I ever did with my life.

I know this has nothing to do with crime, except maybe that I exchanged a crime ridden country for a better place.

Graham.

john2000

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 07:58:13 AM »
Hi", yepe, living on the Continent, is a different world, mind you they do drive on the wrong side of the road, ( so we English think ) but the standard of living if far higher, the villages-towns-cities are much cleaner too, even the bus/train are on time, ok, they don't have the pubs like in the UK, but there is always a bar that you like to visit, crime is much lower here, because the police carry guns, but they are trained to use them, some times you get a smartass that wants to try his luck, and they are down on him like a ton of bricks, the police here are normal people, and when theres a party in the town they are there, but you never see them, I've even danced with one ( female ) when theres a street party here in my village, and we do have a great time, I've lived here in The Netherlands for many years, and leaving England, it was the best move I've ever made,
the language is hard to learn, but when you can speak the language more doors are open to you, ( the only time you wear clogs "wooden shoes"is when you work in  the garden.. Graham know what I mean, ;D
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy