Author Topic: Are Brummies the rudest people in the UK?  (Read 9543 times)

Graham

Are Brummies the rudest people in the UK?
« on: October 22, 2006, 10:27:49 PM »
We have had many light hearted subjects on this forum so this might make a change, certainly something has to be said or done about the alleged problem.

Several weeks ago now I saw an item on BBC Breakfast news that struck a chord by me, that "the people of Birmingham are the rudest in the UK". They didn't give much explanation as to how they arrived at this conclusion but I have personally experienced this myself. On my last few visits to Brum I've noticed that Brummies on the street don't look at each other. Would it be too much to smile or give a nod to each other in the street? Everyone seems to walk around with a sour face and ready for a fight! Do you have any experiences on this matter, good or bad?

This tide could and should be turned if we all do our best, a start could be by acknowledging one another in the street. Have you any other suggestons as to how we can be more polite to each other? A smile or a nod doesn't cost anything, or am I wrong?

john2000

Re: Are Brummies the rudest people in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 08:50:45 AM »
Graham. sad but true, but for bad manners I think Yorkshire is hard to beat,  ( they call it Yorkshire bluntness) I call it down right bad manners, but, I think its because over the years, new people come to Brum, from different countries and backgrounds, and as we know its the fear of the unknown that builds up into hysteria,  ( god help us if we ever become like the states, an gun in every room sort of thing ) but theres good and bad in all of us, but all they have to do is change the laws a little, give the police and the teathers a little more power, and shut up some of theses do gooders, who say if you slap a child, you will damage them for life, then later when the child turns out bad and uncontrollable, they blame the perants for it, and the sad thing is, is that the perants where not brought into line and so it rubs off onto the kids,
I wont give you the crap, about we where never like that, because we were, and in some cases more so, but the police and the teathers had more power to control us, and so when we stepped out of line, we had it in the neck, Langstraat/Graham, how many times do you get the stick at school,?? I was up in front of the headmaster that many times, it was almost like clocking in every morning, that way I was able later in life to show my kids the right and the wrong way in life, they did'nt go and beat up old ladies, or go joyriding in some one elses car, or even start drugs, ( they may have tried it ) I will never know, ok I've said my bit, whos next >>  ;D
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Graham

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 07:22:59 PM »
Funny that you should say that about people from Yorkshire, there was a chap on "the weakest link" tonight and Ann made one of her rude comments to him about people from that shire being rather rude. I have always found that the further North you go in England the politer and friendlier people get. I don't know anymore, maybe the times they ARE a changin'.

Incidentally my best friend, the most polite and friendliest man in Britain is from near Ashford in Kent.  ???

kadoodey

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 11:52:45 PM »
i am a brummie,now i live in spain.i find here amongst the spanish that respect is high up on the agenda,children have much more respect for thier elders here.Family life is  far more important,than owning nike trainers,or having the latest musical  gadget!infact the other day i was in a shop where two youths were talking in spanish, being very loud,i thought then, how unusual for spanish lads to be so bulshy and loud. as they left the shop they spoke in english, and turns out they are brummies!!
we go in restaurants where there are often young adults having a meal together,never loud or swearing, just chatting and behaving in a sensible manner, it is a pleasure to see them.
i have noticed,brummies today seem rude,no respect for themselves let alone anyone else.only this week on the news it said people are afraid to talk to youngsters,they seem to have turned into gangsters!
another thing,why do they all have to use bad language?are they all that thick that they cannot speak properly?the parents are just as bad now
I think they want want and must have today, yet it does not make them happy,all to do with image,they put scrap metal in thier tongues and tattoo's everywhere,it is a case of what they can find to do next.This is cities though,i find .
trouble is they have too much today, have not got enough to do, and dont give a damn about anything or anyone!
Such a shame,it was not always this way as us older generation know, at least we can remember how it was , they cannot.

Graham

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 10:40:14 AM »
Yes kadoodey, that is the same here in Belgium, family values are still very high, that seems to keep everyone in check. These values have long gone in British cities and along with it any notion of norm. Luckily I'm the only Brummie in the area where I live and I hope that it stays that way for some time!

One of my step-daughters has a hotel in Alicante, Spain, and she keeps nagging at us to spend the winter with her. I fancy the milder weather but there are too many English there for my liking so I'll stay put here. I know when I'm onto a good thing. Sad isn't it  :'(

Jacqueline

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 02:10:00 PM »
Not sure which way to jump with this topic.

As a brummie still living in Brum i think we are a friendly lot. I always prided myself that my kids were always polite and was often praised on this.

I remember being on holiday a number of years back in Devon. I found them quite rude. Even the simple task of holding a door open for a lady with a tray full of plants was greeted by a glare and no thank you.

As for recent teenagers i am also stunned. Yes kids here are allowed to do what they want. WHY...Because of Belgium. I am shocked to hear of the family values in Belgium as we have had them all taken away by Brussles. We can no longer smack our kids. Teachers can no longer touch our kids. Kids have so many rights it's untrue. Is it any wonder we are frightened to talk to teenagers without being blamed of abuse? THE LAW IS AN ASS. ???

Graham

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 07:20:56 PM »
Jacqueline, I know what you mean about Brussels but the decisions made there are European not Belgian. Brussels is the HQ of the EEC only because it is so central, that's why I came to live here in the first place. As a pro cyclist I had to race all over Europe.

I can understand you not knowing which way to turn with this topic and I know not everyone in Brum is the same, but after returning there I find that things are getting worse. Devon has become a melting pot of people trying to escape the cities, my sister in Torquay, a Brummie, is one of them.

Teenagers are only a part of the population and I've found all age groups in Brum with the same, aggressive, attitude. I have never advocated slapping or smacking children, I think that it is the worst thing you can do to a child. You only set a bad example from the start. Violence is taught at a very young age in Britain, you only have to look at "Punch & Judy" hitting one another over the head to make kids laugh!  ??? Kids TV is the same, a good smack on the head is the norm to make kids laugh, don't they realize how much damage this does? Kids grow up this way with no knowledge of norm.

All my school years were spent in England and the number of times I got the cane for no reason what-so-ever is unbelievable and it's only normal that kids rebel to this kind of treatment. It's normal that after all those years of abuse that kids would fight back one day, you reap what you sow, and thank god they have the law on their side now.Smacking is not the norm here and never will be. Oh yes I have seen people here smack their kids, terrible, they should be put away.

Sorry for going on, Graham.

Jacqueline

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 07:39:27 PM »
Graham i know the law's are only passed by Belgium and not decided by them.

I also agree on the smacking law as i rarely smacked my children and even if i did it was a slap or tap on the hands after many warnings

You can go back beyond TV for childhood violence. Just look at our nursery rhymes. They are all full of horror.

Yes i agree it is good that children have more rights but this has also taken away any discipline and children now rule the adults. I do not think this is a good recipe.

Graham

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 08:31:00 PM »
Quote: "Yes i agree it is good that children have more rights but this has also taken away any discipline and children now rule the adults. I do not think this is a good recipe."

As I said you reap what you sow.

Jacqueline

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 02:33:34 AM »
So did we turn out so bad?

ACE

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 03:35:17 PM »
I think accusing Brummies of being the rudest people is absolute [censored]. I have never heard shut [censored] in my life. What about the cockneys and the welsh?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy