Author Topic: A magical area  (Read 25362 times)

Graham

Re: A magical area
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2006, 05:34:25 PM »
Great list, I see you included Tommy Godwin, 50's Olympic bronze at cycling. In the 60's he was my cycle mechanic and in 1963 the first (paid) national cycling coach. He had a cycle shop on Silver Street, Kings Heath, it was he that made my schedule for my (successful) British 10 mile, 25 mile and one hour records, done at Salford Park in 1966, and got me noticed with the selectors of the 1963 world cycling championships in Belgium.

William Redfern was he a GP? Our GP was by that name.

cappdn

« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2006, 05:54:00 AM »
Hi Graham, you were talking about cyclists. A Family friend of ours Rode for the Australian team in the late 50s early 60s, he won an Olympic Bronze Medal. His name is Darryl Perkins, his young son is carrying on the family tradition and rode in the last Commonwealth games.
Regards.

Dennis

John_Lerwill

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2006, 09:21:38 AM »
Re the list of "famous sons". I've not yet seen Carl Chinn's name - and he was from the Sparkhill/Sparkbrook area I think. He and I share the distinction of being born at Sorrento (Hospital!).

On Joseph Chamberlain - he was, of course, a Londoner who came to Brum when he was about 18 or 20 to look after his father's interest in Nettlefold's as I recall it.
We are all ONE - despite appearances!

john2000

« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2006, 11:54:21 AM »
John Lerwill, there are three of us that share the distinction of being born in Mosley ( the Sorrento Hospital,)  I went passed there about 3 years ago, they pulled it down and built an old peoples home there in it place. remember that coffee bar down the hill on the left by the lights, to be seen there was the in thing, back in the 60's I used to go there on a sunday afternoon, sporting my little Alpine hat, ( a green one ) even today I still don't have any dress sense. so my Dutch lady friend tells me, .. ;D
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

John_Lerwill

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2006, 12:34:37 PM »
Oh, John, that coffee bar, eh?! Oh, yes, that was to be the bee's knees to be seen there... I remember a certain young lady who regularly parked her Merc 220SL open-top outside, and when entering the bar, my group would go into a deathly hush as she walked past, half-a-dozen pairs of eyes following her gait as she walked through. Still don't know who she was! 8)

Funny I didn't bump into you, unless the names of Dave Tree, Pete Evans etc. rung bells with you?

Graham

« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2006, 02:08:58 PM »
Hi Dennis, I know the name well, Darryl Perkins, I think that I have even met him at some of the championships. Pleased to hear that his son carried on the tradition. Now you have mentioned his name I'm sure memories will come back to me. See Ya, Graham.

Graham

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2006, 02:33:59 PM »
Re Carl Chinn.

J_L, I have myself only just found out about Carl Chinn, an old school mate on 'Friends Reunited'  http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/friendsreunited.asp?WCI=FRMain&show=Y&page=UK&randomiser=0 Chris Sullivan, said that he had read about me in Carl Chinn's Brummagem magazine. So I did some searching and found Carl's web-site, got in touch with him and he promptly sent me a signed copy of the said edition! With the caption "from one Brummie to another", good work Carl.

John_Lerwill

« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2006, 02:41:36 PM »
Yes, Carl's a great feller, Graham!

And a true Villa supporter too!  ;) I'm writing a new Villa history and Carl's promised to write the Foreword to it.

john2000

« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2006, 03:21:33 PM »
Hi"again John Lerwil, the mist of time is getting thicker every year, but maybe, and I mean maybe, you used to go to a coffee bar come folk club, in the center of Brum, half way down a small side street called St Johns passage, it was in Corporation St, on the right, and up stairs every Saturday night, they had a guy who sat on a stool and played the guitar, he started around 10 in the evening, with a full bottle of whiskey next to him, by 3.am it was almost empty, ( I think he must have had hollow legs to drink that much in one sitting ) but his music was out of this world, I used to get there around 9.pm, so I could get a good seat, and me picking the best seat at a four seater table, the dolly birds would ask if there was a seat free, I picked up some posh birds there some times, and some diesel dorks to at times, ............ ;D
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

John_Lerwill

« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2006, 03:32:19 PM »
Now you really are digging into the inner recesses of memory, John - including mine!!!

I can't swear to it, but I believe I wuz there at some point or other!

bostingayeit

TOMMY GODWIN
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2006, 03:45:53 PM »
Graham, Tommy Godwin is alive and well and currently writing his autobiography. There is a dedication to him on www.madeinbirmingham.org, there will be more soon

Ps I was in The Wyndham with Eric Gordon, Dave Watkins and Roy Cox

Hope to eventually have a Salford Park web page

captain jon

PS do you remember Wilson Cycles! dave has a chipshop now apparently. trevor Bull is repairing cycles in Harbourne.

Had a nice chat with Eileen Sheriden recently!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy