Author Topic: A magical area  (Read 25366 times)

Graham

A magical area
« on: October 27, 2006, 08:39:58 PM »
I have often thought of the area where I grew up, Sparkbrook, as being somewhere special. When you look at all the well known or famous people that have their roots in the area then I think that there must be something magical (or something in the water) about the place.

Do you know of anyone from this whole area including Balsall Heath etc. that was very special yet not known to a wider public?

john2000

Re: A magical area
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 09:57:47 PM »
Yes, Mary Tomas,
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Graham

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 11:00:55 PM »
Mary Tomas? Tell us more John.

Langstraat

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 11:47:24 PM »
As one who is always willing to learn. I have to admit to not knowing anyone famous from Sparkbrook; present company excepted; in fact I can't think of many from Birmingham at all in the twentieth century. I accept that the industrial revolution was founded by Watt, Murdock and Boulton and that they had strong connections to Brum but who else is as famous or made such a difference to our lives?
So, enlighten me and put me to shame ;)
Lets start a list, although if we do I bet it's a short one  8)
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

john2000

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 09:55:05 AM »
Langstraat, You've got tobe joking, most of all the famous people came from Brum, for a start, the guy who wrote "lord of the Rings", a guy called David Cox, ( Painter) a guy who spoke about the "Rivers of Blood", and the way things are going I think could happen, Jasper Carrot, lived in Acocks Green area,
If you go to the Birmingham Forum, you Will find a list of all the famous people who was born and lived in Brum, and you Will find a lot it will open your eyes, ( It did mine ),

Mary Tomas, she was a girlfriend of mine, ( and she was special, )  ;D
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Langstraat

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 10:13:28 AM »
Okay, that a good start:
Enoch Powell,
JRR Tolkien,
Jasper Carrot
and of course the special: Mary Thomas  ;)
Which other Birmingham forum has a list of famous Birmingham people?
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

Jacqueline

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 11:36:07 AM »
How about UB40, Elo who included Roy Wood Jeff Lynne and Bev Bevan. Susan Maughn came from Small Heath but not too sure if Kathy Kirby was a brummie.

Anyone know Raymond Froggat the country singer/comedian from Small Heath? He is hubby's cousin.

Langstraat

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 12:25:32 PM »
Moody Blues
Ossy Osborne
Spencer Davis
Pat Roach
Johnny Walker

Graham

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 03:41:48 PM »
I only know of the VirtualBrum site http://www.virtualbrum.co.uk/people.htm here you will find loads of "famous" Brummies, on page 2 you will find yours truly. I think (or I thought) that these Brummies were well enough known.

I was just wondering if there are more wonderful or interesting people from that area that the general public don't (yet) know about? Characters like Vale Onslow, who I don't think is in the above list. With such a large population there must be more outstanding people that should never be forgotten.

Graham

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 03:47:22 PM »
After just writing the above piece I had a look on the net for Vale Onslow and came up with this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/features/2004/05/vale_onslow/vale_onslow.shtml

A remarkable man indeed, did any of you know him personally? I was often in his shop during the 60's but can't say "I knew him well".

Graham

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 04:05:37 PM »
Jacqueline, Raymond Froggat, is that the singer of "Callow la vita" (don't know if this is the correct spelling).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy