Author Topic: A magical area  (Read 25363 times)

Graham

Re: A magical area
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2006, 08:13:05 PM »
John, I vaguely remember that radio programme, the one I liked was "The Goon Show" (not sure how to spell that one). Most of my youth was spent listening to a crystal radio, that I had built myself, wasn't allowed to listen to my step-dads radio! I was never lucky enough to have people buy me books, had to rely on the public library on Mosley Road. Mom bought me a pair of books called "The Children of the World", read them to tatters and thorns.

Wam, to get back to Tolkien, a few years ago I bought this coat in a charity shop for £2. I wonder if any Tolkien fans would be interested on eBay, will have to give it a go. Thanks again for the link, didn't know that he had attended King Edwards School, Birmingham.

"A hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...", reminded me of a piece I wrote in the 50's at Dennis Road School. We were given the task of writing an essay about "our home". I pictured myself as a mole and started off, "I am a mole and live underground in a hole". The teacher gave me 0/10 and to make me look ridiculous made me go to the front of the class and read it out loud. It was meant to be light hearted and in seconds I had the whole class rolling on the floor in stitches. The teacher was in tears too and took my paper changing the 0/10 into 10/10. He realized that he had been too dumb to get the message.

AnnMarie

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2006, 05:29:54 AM »
I dont suppose any body on here will remember the comedian Sid Fields, he was very famous in the 30's to about 1950-2 when he died.  I remember a big wreath in a shop window in Waldord Road ----on the way to Conway Road school. I think he was born in Sparkbrook.

Have a good day, Cheers Ann Marie :) :) :)

Graham

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2006, 09:20:22 AM »
Hi AnnMarie, being only a youngster myself I can't remember those times, but looking on the net your Sid really was famous. Take a look here:-

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateContent?CONTENT_ITEM_ID=627&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=38&EXPAND=15

You were right about the Sparkbrook connection, 152 Osbourn Road, Sparkbrook was his address and he was apparently educated at Conway School.

wam

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2006, 04:59:32 PM »
Those who "remember" The Goon Show and Journey Into Space on the radio might be interested in the BBC7 pages that let you listen to their last week's output including The Goon Show on Mondays http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/listenagain/monday/ or Journey into Space on Saturdays http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/listenagain/saturday/

Graham

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2006, 10:35:36 PM »
Wam, once again great links! Thanks.

AnnMarie

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2006, 05:31:16 AM »
Hi Graham,
Thanks for the info on Sid Fields, it was very interesting, I knew he was famous--how about Tony Hancock--now you must remember him--who could forget "The Blood Donor"I think he was born in Hall Green--and Died in Sydney Australia--
Hope you health is improving.
Have a good day where ever you are.
Cheers AnnMarie :) :) :)

Graham

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2006, 08:16:47 AM »
AnnMarie,

Your welcome. Yes who could ever forget Tony Hancock and his "half hour". I am not a great fan of his but then again I'm hard to please, and it takes all kinds (thank god).

As for my health it is stable at the moment, good it will never be again. Not complaining though, I still enjoy every day of my life, it was been a wonderful journey. Thank you very kind of you to ask.

I did see on the Sid Fields site that it was from B'ham City Council and had links to other famous Brummies. Will have to check them out when I have more time  :-*.

john2000

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2006, 09:42:46 AM »
Graham, well you did stop along the way to smell the flowers, you didn't have the fear of the unknown, you wanted to see what was on the other side of that hill, a lot of people wished they had done what they wanted to do, but some had to look after families, and now that they are free its too late,
after many years I went back to where I used to live, the houses where gone, but the pubs were still there ( at that time ), and sitting in the same seat, in the same bar, were some of the guys I used to drink with, and they were all old men even then, and it was always the same, "you know I could have gone to live abroad, but I couldn't leave the family, " sad thing was that the family died or moved on, and there they are alone, thinking I wish I had left when I had the chance.
some of them well, if you wrote a book about their lives, you would only have half a page, others like Dennis/Ronny capper, you,me, and a lot of others who read this forum, took that chance and made a much better life for them selves in other countries, so be proud of who you are, and what you have done,................... ;D
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Jacqueline

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2006, 04:55:51 PM »
Going back to the froggy thread. He was my hubby's cousin. My nearest claim to fame on my ancestors is being distantly related to actress Margaret Rawlings. Also more closely to James Meadows who was lord mayor of Birmingham 1987/68.

As for a local hero. That has to be my step grandad Tom Lacey. When he retired he was the longest serving bus driver. He was in the evening mail and it stated he drove transport for the british army in france during world war one and had been employed since 1913.

In later years he drove the 27 bus route and also transported the handicapped kids to Little Green Lane School, Small heath.

I loved him to bits and came home from school at age nine to be the first person to find him dead.

MISS YA STILL GRAMPS.

Graham

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2006, 08:17:10 PM »
I have had no such luck to have anyone that well known in the family (not that I know of anyway). It would have pleased me no end to say have a child with the drive that some people have and turn out really special. I have kids with drive and three of them have (quietly) made it to become millionairs but none with that real fire you see in some people to become great in their chosen way.

Your granddad, Tom, was just the kind of hero I had in mind when I started this thread. You and he were, in a strange but somehow beautiful way, joined together forever when you found him at your last meeting together. He was a lucky man to have so much love from you that you still remember and worship him in this way.

wam

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2006, 11:58:07 AM »
Famous and Great aren't necessarily the same thing. My father was well known to a lot of people but not what I'd think of as famous. I only ever met one person out side of friends and family that knew him, but that was the Lord Mayor.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy